Rice Pudding Recipe With Squash
This easy rice pudding recipe is the perfect comfort dish for fall since it's loaded with chunks of spaghetti squash. The flavors and textures are truly outstanding!
- 1 1/2 lb. spaghetti squash
- 6 cups milk
- 1 cup rice
- 1/2 granulated sugar
- 2 tbsp unsalted butter
- 1/4 tsp salt
- cinnamon for garnish optional
Chop the squash into 2-inch chunks and place them into a pot. Remove the skins and seeds before adding them to the pot.
Add the milk to the chopped squash and let it sit over medium heat until it comes to a slight boil.
Add the sugar and salt to the pot and stir it in well. Let it cook for another 15 minutes.
Once the squash has softened, add the rice and keep over medium heat until the rice is cooked. About 20-25 minutes.
Once the rice is cooked, add in the butter and enjoy. You can either mash it up or leave it as it. I personally like it chunkier. I also garnish it with some cinnamon, but that's totally optional.
How to prevent milk from burning or sticking to the pot
One of the most annoying things about boiling milk is running the risk of it scorching and burning in the bottom of a stainless steel pan or pot. Believe me, I've been there!
- Rinse your pot with cold water and leave about 1 tablespoon of water inside, then pour in your milk. This will serve as a protectant layer.
- Stirring constantly is a great way to avoid the milk from sticking to your pot. If you stir it often enough it won't have enough time to burn.
- Lowering the heat will also prevent the unfortunate event as well. The higher the heat, the higher the chance that the milk will burn.
Calories: 248kcal | Carbohydrates: 33g | Protein: 8g | Fat: 9g | Saturated Fat: 5g | Cholesterol: 26mg | Sodium: 167mg | Potassium: 360mg | Fiber: 2g | Sugar: 12g | Vitamin A: 486IU | Vitamin C: 2mg | Calcium: 233mg | Iron: 1mg