Creamy Tomato and Sausage Gnocchi
This Creamy Tomato Gnocchi is a delicious pasta dish with chicken sausage, mushrooms, and cheese. Every bite is savory and satisfying.
- 2 lb mild Italian chicken sausage
- 1/2 medium onion
- 2 cloves garlic minced
- 8 oz baby Bella mushrooms
- 1 1/2 cups fresh mushroom Prego sauce
- 2 cups heavy cream
- 2 lb gnocchi
- 3/4 cup Parmesan cheese grated
- 1/4 tsp salt
Sautee the meat and vegetables
Cook 2 pounds of mild Italian chicken sausage (casing removed) in a large skillet over high heat. There is no oil necessary here since the sausage naturally has a lot of fat.
Once the sausage is cooked, add 1/2 of a medium chopped onion and 2 minced garlic cloves to the skillet.
Stir over medium heat until the onion is cooked through and appears translucent.
Now add in 8 oz of sliced baby Bella mushrooms and sauté until cooked through. Then pour in 1 1/2 cups fresh mushroom Prego sauce.
Add tomato sauce and heavy cream
Stir in the parmesan, salt, and cooked gnocchi
Once the sauce has come to a simmer, turn off the heat and add the cooked gnocchi, 3/4 cup grated Parmesan cheese, and 1/4 tsp salt. Stir until well combined.
- Remove the casing on the sausage- Before you cook the sausage, take off the casing so that the meat breaks apart in the sauce. This will also release more flavor.
- Make the sauce in advance- You can make the sauce a couple of days in advance and store it in the fridge until you are ready to prepare the pasta.
- Don't overcook the gnocchi- As soon as you see your gnocchi floating to the surface of the water, take them out. If you overcook them, they will turn to mush.
Calories: 468kcal | Carbohydrates: 50g | Protein: 27g | Fat: 19g | Saturated Fat: 5g | Cholesterol: 86mg | Sodium: 2013mg | Potassium: 298mg | Fiber: 4g | Sugar: 4g | Vitamin A: 672IU | Vitamin C: 6mg | Calcium: 149mg | Iron: 6mg