These Potatoes with Mushroom Gravy make a savory side that is deliciously satisfying. It’s easy to make, uses simple ingredients, and will go great alongside your favorite dishes – or be the main course.
Potatoes with mushroom gravy
Potatoes with mushroom gravy is such a tasty and flavorful dish. It takes simple vegetables and immerses them in a thick and creamy gravy that tastes absolutely delicious. This recipe can be served as a side dish or as a vegetarian meal. It’s very filling and pairs well with chicken, beef – you name it! With 30-minute prep time, it’s also something that can be put together without too much effort and time. You probably have most of these ingredients on hand right now. This Potatoes with Mushroom Gravy dish can also be made ahead of time, so you really can’t go wrong with this savory recipe! Try it with some rice stuffed chicken thighs or eggplant salad.
Here’s what you’ll need
Vegetables- Yukon gold potatoes, Mushrooms, Carrots, Onion, and a Garlic clove (plus some Olive oil for sauteing)
Gravy ingredients- Heavy cream, Butter, Salt & Pepper
Can I make it ahead of time?
Yes, you can make this potatoes with mushroom gravy dish beforehand. It can be made up to a day before it’s served. Just prepare it as directed and then keep it in the fridge until you are ready to reheat and serve it.
How to make potatoes with mushroom gravy
- Saute the onions. In a skillet, saute the onions in butter and olive oil.
- Add other vegetables (not potatoes). Add the garlic, mushrooms, and carrot to the onion. Then, saute them all until the carrot and mushrooms are cooked through.
3. Simmer the sauce. Add the cream, salt, and pepper and bring the gravy to a simmer.
4. Cook the potatoes. Peel and dice the potatoes. Cook them in boiling water with salt until they are fork-tender.
5. Add to gravy. Place the potatoes in the gravy and gently stir. Don’t overmix and mush the potatoes.
6. Serve. You can serve these potatoes with mushroom gravy garnished with dill or parsley.
- Cucumber cabbage salad
- Eggplant salad
- Creamy purple cabbage salad
- Baked breaded chicken skewers
- Rice stuffed chicken thighs
How long will it keep?
This Potatoes with Mushroom Gravy dish will keep for about 3 days in the refrigerator. Store it in an airtight container. The longer it sits in the gravy though, the thicker it will become as the starch in the potatoes breaks down, so you will need to add a bit more liquid when reheating.
Best way to reheat mushroom gravy
The best way to reheat this mushroom gravy is by adding some more heavy cream and warming it on the stove top in a skillet. If possible, you can spoon out the chunks of potato to avoid overcooking them as the gravy warms. Then, add them back in to heat briefly, and serve.
Potatoes with Mushroom Gravy
Saute the vegetables
- Then add the 1 minced garlic clove, 2 shredded carrots, and 16 ounces of sliced mushrooms. Sauté until the mushroom and carrot are cooked through.
Add cream and seasoning
- Then add 3 cups of heavy cream, 1 teaspoon salt, and 1/8 teaspoon black pepper and bring the sauce to a simmer.
- Peel and dice the 3 pounds of Yukon gold potatoes￼￼ and boil them in water along with 1 tablespoon salt. Cook until fork-tender. Make sure the potatoes are fully submerged in water when cooking.
Cook the potatoes and add them to the gravy
- Add the potatoes to the gravy and gently mix to combine. Don’t overmix or the potatoes will mush up. Garnish with fresh dill or parsley.