This easy beef chili is a simple and delicious as chili gets. Flavorful ground beef simmered with aromatic spices, beans, tomatoes, and whole kernel corn. This is comfort food at its finest!
This post may contain affiliate links. Read my disclosure policy here.
How to make homemade chili
- Start making the beef chili by cooking the ground beef in a dutch oven pot over high heat until cooked through. Then add the onion and garlic.
- Now add in the diced pepper along with all the chili spices (chili powder, oregano, cumin, salt, and pepper).
- Once the bell pepper is tender, add in the last batch of chili ingredients (kidney beans, pinto beans, corn, diced tomatoes plus sauce). Then cover the pot with a lid and cook the beef chili on low for about 1 hour and 30 minutes.
That’s literally how easy the simple chili recipe comes together! Seriously what’s not to love?!
Chili ingredients are pretty basic and simple. All you need is beef, beans, tomatoes, some sort of vegetables, and of course spices.
- Meat– typically chili is made with ground beef, but what kind of beef should I use in chili exactly? I always go for the lean beef that’s 90 % lean.
- Vegetables– the most common vegetables used in chili is onion, garlic, green pepper, corn, and tomatoes.
- beans- Kidney beans and pinto beans are the most common beans here.
- Spices– This is where its best not to buy pre-mixed spices. Instead make your own chili spices blend by combining cumin, chili powder, oregano, salt, and pepper.
Tips for making homemade chili
- Don’t skip out of browning the meat. This is crucial for extracting as much flavor from the beef as possible. Brownig the beef will result is super flavorful beef chili.
- If you want to make your chili spicier, just add more chili powder.
- Don’t skip out on the toppings for this easy beef chili! Toppings like avocado, sour cream, green onion, or shredded cheese will definitely elevate and enhance the flavors and textures of any type of chili.
How to make chili in a crockpot
- In a large skillet, brown the beef, onion, and garlic. Then add the bell pepper and spices and cook for an additional 5 minutes.
- Now transfer the beef mixture to a crockpot and add the beans, corn, and tomato sauce, and diced tomatoes. Cook on low for about 4 hours. This crockpot chili can be held on low for pretty much the entire day as well.
What to serve with chili
This easy beef chili recipe is so tasty and bursting with flavor on its own, but some things just taste better something on the side. These side dishes are perfect with any chili recipe.
- grilled cheese sandwich
- onion rings
- French Fries
- Fried chicken
- Dinner rolls
- Cucumber cabbage salad
Full Recipe Instructions
Easy Beef Chili Recipe
- 2 lb ground beef
- 3 medium garlic cloves minced
- 1 medium onion diced
- 1 green bell pepper diced
- 1 1/2 tsp chili powder
- 1 tbsp cumin
- 1 1/2 tsp oregano
- 2 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/2 tsp black pepper
- 2 15 oz cans kidney beans
- 1 15 oz can pinto beans
- 1 15 oz can whole kernel corn
- 1 15 oz can diced tomatoes
- 1 29 oz can tomato sauce
- Cook the ground beef in a large Dutch oven pot over high heat.
- Once the beef is fully cooked add in the chopped onion and minced garlic and sautéed the onion until it becomes translucent.
- Now add the chopped green bell pepper, chili powder, cumin, oregano, salt, and pepper. Sauté for about 4-5 minutes over medium-high heat.
- Then add in the kidney beans, pinto beans, diced tomatoes, and tomato sauce.
- Cook all the chili ingredients over low heat for about 1 hour and 30 minutes.