If you love basil pesto, then you have to try this Pesto Gnocchi. Simple and delicious, it’s the perfect recipe when you want something warm, flavorful, and quick.
After this pesto gnocchi, you should try our Easy Penne Alla Vodka or end the meal with some Zeppoles (Italian Donuts).
Simple Perfect Pesto Gnocchi
Gnocchi (pronounced NYOW-kee) are filling and tasty potato dumplings popular in Italy. This recipe combines those dense pieces of cooked potatoes with the herbaceous and fresh flavors of basil pesto and garlic. Add in the nutty Parmesan cheese and you have a filling and flavorful meal that will make it onto everyone’s favorites list. This recipe is also simple and quick, perfect for busy nights when you don’t have much time to cook. In 15 minutes, you can be serving up a plate of warm and comforting Pesto Gnocchi.
What you’ll need
This Pesto Gnocchi recipe uses simple ingredients for delicious flavor. All you’ll need is Potato gnocchi (uncooked), Olive oil, Basil pesto, Garlic cloves (pressed), Parmesan cheese (grated), Salt, and Pepper.
How to Make this Pesto Gnocchi recipe
- Cook the gnocchi. Place the uncooked gnocchi in a pot of boiling water for 2-4 minutes, or until they float to the top. Then drain out the water.
- Pan-fry the gnocchi. Over medium-high heat, place a medium-sized skillet with olive oil in it. Once the oil has warmed up for a minute, add the gnocchi and pan-fry them for about 2 minutes. When they are crispy on the outside, drop the heat to low.
- Add the other ingredients. Now add the basil pesto, garlic, parmesan cheese, and salt and pepper to taste. Mix everything together and serve warm.
Add-ins and Substitutes
- Add meat. This Pesto Gnocchi is delicious with chicken or pork. You could also serve it alongside steak or fish, which also tastes great with basil pesto on top.
- Try other vegetables. For different flavors, you could include yellow or red peppers, sundried or cherry tomatoes, zucchini, or broccoli.
- Substitute a different cheese. If you don’t have parmesan, you could use Asiago or Pecorino romano. Or if you don’t eat dairy, you can try a non-dairy cheese alternative, or even use nutritional yeast to mimic the nutty flavor.
How to Store and Reheat Pesto Gnocchi
To store Pesto Gnocchi, place any leftovers in an airtight container in the refrigerator. They will stay fresh for about 4-5 days. When you are ready to reheat them, place the gnocchi in an oven-safe dish and add some extra pesto. Cook them for about 5-10 minutes at 350 degrees Fahrenheit, until warmed through.
More Delicious Italian dishes!
- Creamy Chicken Gnocchi With Red Sauce
- Easy Penne Alla Vodka
- Creamy Tomato and Mushroom Rotini Pasta
- Pasta Pomodoro Recipe
- Creamy Tuscan Chicken Pasta (Video)
Full Recipe Instructions
Pesto Gnocchi Recipe
- 1 lb potato gnocchi uncooked
- 2 tablespoon olive oil
- 1/4 cup basil pesto
- 1 small garlic cloves pressed
- 1/4 cup grated Parmesan cheese
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Start off by placing 1 pound of uncooked potato gnocchi into a pot of boiling water for 2-4 minutes or until they float to the top.
- Once the gnocchi is done, drain the water out well.
- Heat a medium-sized skillet to medium-high heat. Then add 2 tablespoon olive oil. Let the oil warm up for about 1 minute, then add the cooked gnocchi.
- Pan-fry the gnocchi for about 2 minutes or until they become crispy on the outside. Then drop the heat to low.
- Then add 1/4 cup basil pesto, 1 small pressed or grated garlic clove, 1/4 cup of freshly grated Parmesan, and salt and pepper to taste.
- Mix everything together and serve warm.
- Strawberry Feta Spinach Salad - May 27, 2023
- Breaded Chicken Skewers - May 24, 2023
- Mango Smoothie - May 22, 2023
Leave questions and feedback here