This cream of mushroom soup recipe is so delicious and comforting. It’s loaded with fresh mushrooms, a hint of thyme and a splash of sherry for extra flavor.
All you need to complete this meal is some Focaccia bread!
Homemade Cream of Mushroom Soup
A warm and comforting mushroom soup that is flavored with garlic, shallots, and herbs. This mushroom soup recipe is creamy with tender bites of mushrooms. Made with ingredients that are easy to find and probably already in your pantry. You will never eat canned mushroom soup again! You can even make this mushroom soup extra fancy by adding a piece of puff pastry on top of it. Just place your soup into an oven-safe soup bowl, then spread a piece of puff pastry on top. Now brush some egg wash and bake for 15 minutes at 370 degrees F.
How do you make a simple mushroom sauce
- Start off by sauteeing all the vegetables needed in the recipe
- Then add the mushrooms and cook them until they become tender
- Now you can add in the flour and stir it for a few minutes (this will thicken the sauce)
- Then add in the liquids like water, broth, and cream.
How to make cream of mushroom soup
- In a heavy-bottomed pot, melt the unsalted butter and cook the minced shallots over medium heat for a few minutes.
- Now, add in the chopped carrots and mushrooms and cook for an additional few minutes.
- Then toss in the flour and stir it until no more patches of flour appear.
- Now you can add in the wine, chicken broth, heavy cream, dried thyme, salt, and pepper as instructed in the recipe card below.
How do you thicken cream of mushroom soup
In order to thicken any kind of soup, you will need a thickening agent like flour or cornstarch. But before you add it into the soup, you need to brown it with the vegetables.
Does it freeze well?
If you want to preserve the life of your cream of mushroom soup, then you can freeze it. Make sure you place it in an airtight container. If properly sealed your soup can last up to 2-3 months in the freezer. When you need it then let it thaw out and warm up on a stovetop. Make sure to keep whisking it when its thawing/warming up so that it won’t curdle. However, fresh mushroom soup is always better and it’s easy to make again.
How long will this soup keep in the fridge?
If properly sealed and kept in a refrigerator then this mushroom soup recipe can last 5-7 days.
How to make your mushroom soup even better
Just when you think mushroom soup couldn’t get any better, well it CAN! We love to top ours with baked puff pastry topping. The crunchy buttery crust pairs incredibly well with the creamy soup. Just make sure to serve it in these cute oven-safe soup bowls.
What to serve it with
This cream of mushroom soup recipe is meatless and low carb so you can pair it with just about any meat dish or bread. Here are some of our favorite recipes to serve with this mushroom soup.
Cream of Mushroom Soup Recipe
- 6 tbsp unsalted butter
- 2 cloves garlic minced
- 2 medium carrots diced (about 1 cup)
- 2 medium shallots diced (about 1 1/2 cup)
- 24 oz sliced baby Bella mushrooms
- 1/2 cup + 2 tbsp all-purpose flour
- 1 cup dry sherry
- 1/2 tsp dried thyme
- 2 tsp salt
- 1/4 tsp pepper
- 3/4 cup heavy whipping cream
- 6 cups chicken broth
- 1 lb puff pastry optional
- 1 egg + 1 tbsp water for egg wash
Cook the vegetables
- In a heavy-bottomed pot, melt the butter and saute the diced shallots and minced garlic over medium heat until the shallots become translucent.
- Add in the diced carrots and stir for about 2 minutes. Add the mushrooms and cook for an additional 4 minutes.
Brown the flour
- Turn the heat down to medium-low and add the flour and cook for 2 minutes to cook out the raw flour taste.
Add the sherry, chicken broth, and spices
- Slowly pour the dry sherry and keep stirring until the wine has evaporated. (About 3-4 minutes)
- Add the chicken broth, dried thyme, salt, and pepper and cook for 15 minutes over medium-low heat. Lastly, add in the heavy whipping cream and cook for another 3 minutes.
Top it with puff pastry and bake (optional)
- If you want to make this soup a little fancier, you can cut a circular piece of thawed puff pastry and place it on top of an oven-safe soup bowl. Pinch the sides of the puff pastry around the soup bowl.
- Combine the egg and water and brush the tops and sides of the puff pastry. Bake for 15 minutes at 370 degrees Fahrenheit.
What to serve with cream of mushroom soup?
Can I freeze mushroom soup?YES! mushroom soup freezes very well. Just place it in an airtight container or plastic freezer bags (like the gallon-sized ones) and freeze it for up to 2 months. Then defrost at room temperature.
This recipe was originally posted on Mar 17, 2015. We have tweaked it a little since then.