This Copycat Panera Bread Broccoli Cheddar Soup Recipe is full of vegetables in a delicious cheesy cream soup base that will satisfy everyone at your dinner table.
Making soup is one of my favorite ways to provide comfort foods to my family. I know you will love my Clam Chowder Soup recipe that is also a delicious creamy recipe.
This recipe was originally posted “March 9, 2015, we’ve tweaked it a bit since then. This post may contain affiliate links. Read my disclosure policy here.
Copycat Panera Bread Broccoli Cheddar Soup Recipe
Ingredients for Broccoli Cheddar Soup
Heavy Whipping Cream
How to Make Copycat Panera Broccoli Cheddar Soup Recipe
Before you begin, make sure to read through the complete recipe to understand the steps involved. You will begin with a large heavy-bottomed stockpot for cooking the onions, carrots, and garlic together. Once these vegetables are cooked as directed, you will begin making a roux with the butter and flour. Once your roux is ready according to the directions in the printable recipe, you will add in the other ingredients as directed and cook with the final steps being the cheese additions.
How to Get a Creamy Texture in Broccoli Cheese Soup
I recommend buying the cheese in blocks and shredding them yourself. Shredding your own cheese will give you a creamy consistency. If you buy already shredded cheese, it’s more likely going to curdle. Also, if you use fresh broccoli, make sure to blanch it in a pot of boiling water for 1 minute before adding it to the soup.
More Copycat Recipes
Broccoli Cheddar Soup Recipe
- 4 tbsp unsalted butter
- 1/2 Onion chopped, about 1 1/2 cups
- 2 small garlic cloves minced
- 2 carrots diced, about 1 1/2 cup
- 8 Tbsp all-purpose flour
- 6 cups chicken broth
- 16 oz frozen broccoli florets
- 1/2 cup heavy whipping cream
- 2 cups sharp cheddar shredded
- 2 cups medium cheddar shredded
- 1 cup Swiss cheese shredded
- 1/2 Tbsp salt
- In a Dutch oven or heavy-bottomed pot, melt the butter over medium-high heat. Add in the chopped onions, garlic, and carrot. Sauté until the onion becomes translucent.
- Add the flour and stir just to brown it (about 2 minutes). Browning the flour will take away the taste of raw flour. Once the flour has been stirred for a few minutes, slowly add the chicken broth, while mixing.
- Let the broth simmer for about 15 minutes on medium heat (make sure to stir the soup occasionally). Add in the frozen broccoli florets and heavy cream and let the soup come to a simmer. Tip: Try blending part of the soup with an emersion blender for creamer soup. Just be careful not to puree too much or you will lose all the delicious chunks of broccoli.
- Remove the pot from heat and add in the shredded sharp cheddar, medium cheddar, and Swiss cheese. Add salt and stir until the cheese is completely melted. Serve warm with croutons or french bread.