Easy broccoli cranberry salad
As the weather warms up, a cool, crisp salad is just the thing. This easy Broccoli Cranberry salad has all the things you want: crunchy broccoli and slaw, sunflower seeds, sweet cranberries, and a creamy vinaigrette that is both rich and tangy. Together, this broccoli cranberry salad makes a delicious side salad or even the main meal.
Broccoli is high in Vitamin C and the sunflower seeds add a lot of nutrients. It’s also filling, making it a great lunch or dinner option. Make the dressing ahead of time and you can easily put this salad together for a work lunch or quick meal on a busy day.
Broccoli salad variations
- Bacon bits
- Cheddar cheese
- Almond slivers
How to make this broccoli salad with cranberries
- Prepare the dressing. In a bowl, whisk together the mayonnaise, dijon mustard, sour cream, apple cider vinegar, and sugar. Mix until the dressing has a creamy consistency. The mustard acts as an emulsifier, holding the mayo and vinegar together, so you should see the dressing smooth out while you whisk.
- Put together the salad ingredients. In a separate bowl, combine the broccoli slaw, fresh broccoli florets, dried cranberries, and sunflower seeds. If any of the florets seem too large, cut them into a more manageable size.
- Dress the broccoli cranberry salad. Pour the dressing over the broccoli salad and mix just enough to combine. Plate and serve.
Is broccoli salad healthy?
Like any salad, this Broccoli Salad is healthy depending on the dressing used and how much. Dressings contain fat from mayonnaise, sour cream, or oil, so having a large amount of dressing on a salad overshadows any health benefits.
If you’d like to up the healthy factor of this broccoli salad, then substitute the mayonnaise in the dressing with something lighter, like non-fat plain Greek yogurt. This also adds protein to your salad.
Besides the vitamins and minerals found in broccoli and sunflower seeds, this salad also packs healthy fats that are good for your heart and vegetables that are high in fiber and known for increasing satiation (meaning you feel full longer). If you dress your broccoli cranberry salad in moderation, it is a very healthy alternative at meal time.
Can you make it ahead of time?
How long does it stay fresh
Great recipes to have with broccoli cranberry salad
Cranberry Broccoli Salad
- In a bowl, whisk together the mayonnaise, sour cream, dijon mustard, apple cider vinegar, and sugar until it becomes one creamy consistency.
- In a separate bowl, combine broccoli slaw, fresh broccoli, dried cranberries, and sunflower seeds.
- Pour the dressing over the broccoli and mix just to combine.
Great recipes to have with broccoli cranberry saladGrilled teriyaki chicken Ribeye steak in the oven Baked chicken skewers
This recipe was originally published on February 14, 2015, we have changed a few things since then to better improve it for our readers.