This Clam Chowder Soup recipe is a perfect meal that brings together a potato and cream base and the saltiness of clams with a light smoky bacon flavor to delight your tastebuds.
Another excellent cream-based soup to try is this She crab soup recipe that has the comfort food feel with a simple yet flavorful base.
This recipe was originally posted February 18, 2016, we’ve tweaked it a bit since then. This post may contain affiliate links. Read my disclosure policy here.
Clam Chowder Soup Recipe
Clam chowder is a rich soup made with chopped clams, sautéed vegetables, broth, and half & half. I use bacon fat in this recipe so it gives the soup subtle smoky flavor. This creamy soup is perfect for those cold winter days. Serve it with some oyster crackers and a salad to make it a complete meal.
Ingredients for Clam Chowder
Half & Half
Green Onion (for garnish)
How to Make Clam Chowder Soup
Begin by chopping the bacon into small pieces and cooking until crisp in a large saucepan. While this cooks, you will take the time to prepare the rest of your vegetables. Remove the bacon, and following the directions below in the printable recipe, add in vegetables and cook as needed. Your last step will be to add in the chopped clams and half & half to cook and bring the flavors together.
Note: This is best served with nice crunchy bacon and a few bits of green onion on top. Serve with or without crackers.
More Comforting Soups
Soup and chowders are some of the best comfort food meals you can create. If you enjoy creamy soups, then this Creamy Potato Soup with Leeks is a great choice to add to your menu. Chicken Noodle Soup from Scratch is a must in every recipe box and ours is phenomenal. The most popular, however, is this Broccoli Cheddar Soup Recipe that hides vegetables while giving that rich cheesy flavor you love.
Full Recipe Instructions
Clam Chowder Soup Recipe
- 6 Medium Yellow Potatoes diced
- 1 onion diced
- 3 stalks celery diced
- 3 large carrots diced
- 4 cans chopped clams
- 8 ounces clam juice
- 4 cups chicken broth
- 2 cups half & half
- 1 clove garlic minced
- 1/2 pound bacon chopped
- 1 tsp dried thyme
- 1 tsp black pepper
- salt, to taste
- 1/4 cup flour
- Chop the bacon and cook it in a large pot over medium-high heat.
- Meanwhile chop the onion, celery, carrot, and garlic.
- Remove the bacon from the pot and add the chopped vegetables. Saute for about 6 minutes.
- Add the flour to the sautéed vegetables and stir for 2-3 minutes over medium heat.
- Add the chicken broth and clam juice, and bring to a boil.
- Dice the potatoes and place them into the pot. Cook the potatoes over medium-high heat until they are fully cooked.
- Add the salt, black pepper, and dried thyme. Cook for 3 minutes.
- Add the half and half and chopped clams and bring to a boil once more.
- Smoked Salmon Salad - May 31, 2023
- Garlic Aioli - May 30, 2023
- Strawberry Feta Spinach Salad - May 27, 2023
Linda Keto says
When is the bacon added back?
Hi Linda, the bacon was used merely for the flavor. I did not add the bacon back to this recipe. I added the bacon in the picture just for the looks.
Hey Dina, It’s Paul, you should post borsche on here and sushi 😀
Hey Paul 🙂 Adding a borsch recipe has been on my to do list. I actually have a sushi roll recipe on the blog. Search “Shrimp tempura roll” 🙂