This Chicken Tortilla Soup is chunky and thick with tasty vegetables, savory chicken, and flavorful seasonings. This dish has the perfect mix of delicious tastes and textures.
Chunky Chicken Tortilla Soup
This tasty soup has so many flavors and textures going on in perfect harmony. From the juicy chicken to the crunchy tortilla strips, to the sweet corn, this Chicken Tortilla Soup is so delicious. If you love a chunky soup with a hint of spice that’s hearty and flavorful, then you have to try this one. This recipe is a breeze to follow and you can even make it ahead of time and freeze it. It’s really convenient and versatile. You’re going to love it!
What you’ll need
Here’s what you’ll be using in this recipe: Olive oil, Chicken tenders, Yellow onion, Garlic cloves, Chicken broth, Diced tomatoes, Black beans, and Frozen corn. For seasoning, you’ll need Chili powder, Cumin, Oregano, Smoked paprika, Salt, and Fresh cilantro. And for the toppings: Fresh cilantro, Avocado, Shredded Mexican cheese, Lime juice, and Small corn tortillas (for the tortilla strips).
How to Make Chicken Tortilla Soup
- Cut the tortillas. Preheat the oven to 375 degrees Fahrenheit. Then cut the corn tortillas into strips.
2. Bake the tortilla strips. Place the strips on a baking sheet lined with parchment paper and drizzle them with olive oil and sprinkle with a teaspoon of salt. Bake for about 15 minutes, or until golden brown. Remove them from the oven and set aside.
3. Cook and cut the chicken. In a large pot over medium-high heat, add the olive oil. Season the chicken tenders with salt and pepper and cook them in the pot. Once they’re done, remove them and allow them to cool. Then cut them into small cubes.
4. Add the onion and garlic. Add the finely chopped onion and minced garlic, stirring until the onion becomes translucent. You can add 1-2 tablespoons more of oil if it cooked out with the chicken.
5. Add the broth, tomatoes, and beans. Now pour the chicken broth in, then the diced tomatoes and black beans, which should be rinsed and drained.
6. Add the rest of the ingredients. At this point, add the cubed chicken, frozen corn, chili powder, cumin, oregano, paprika, and salt (to taste). Stir.
7. Boil. Bring the soup to a boil and add 2 tablespoons of chopped cilantro. Then turn off the heat.
8. Top the Chicken Tortilla Soup. Now ladle the soup into bowls and top with tortilla strips, extra cilantro, diced avocado, shredded Mexican cheese, and a squeeze of fresh lime juice. Serve.
Tips for the Best Chicken Tortilla Soup
- Salt to taste. Depending on the sodium content of the chicken broth, black beans, and tomatoes you use, you may need more or less salt. Taste your soup throughout to make sure you add the desired amount.
- Save time with rotisserie chicken. If you want to save time, you can also use rotisserie chicken from the store or even leftover chicken you have in the fridge. Shredded or cubed chicken can work in this recipe.
- Garnish each bowl. Make sure that you are garnishing the bowls that are served individually, not the pot with your tortilla strips, avocado, etc. You don’t want these delicious ingredients getting mixed in and losing their amazing texture.
How to Store Leftovers
You can store any leftover Chicken Tortilla Soup in the refrigerator in an airtight container. It will stay fresh for 3-4 days.
Can you freeze this soup?
Yes, you can make this soup ahead of time and then freeze it. To save time, you can make this Chicken Tortilla Soup and let it cool before pouring it into a ziplock freezer bag. Lay it flat to freeze and then store it upright in your freezer. It will stay fresh for up to 6 months. Defrost it overnight and when you are almost ready to serve, bake the tortilla strips and garnish the reheated soup.
More Delicious Tex-Mex Recipes to Try!
- Easy Chicken Quesadilla Recipe
- Mexican Salsa Recipe with Roasted Corn
- Taco Salad Recipe (VIDEO)
- Easy Authentic Guacamole Recipe
- Cheesy Chicken Enchiladas Recipe
- Easy Chicken Fajitas (VIDEO)
Full Recipe Instructions
Chicken Tortilla Soup
- 9 small corn tortillas ￼
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 lb chicken tenders
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 cups yellow onion finely chopped
- 3 cloves garlic minced
- 5 cups chicken broth
- 15 ounces can diced tomatoes
- 15 ounces cans black beans rinsed and drained
- 1 1/2 cup frozen corn
- 1 teaspoon chili powder
- 1 teaspoon cumin
- 1/2 teaspoon oregano
- 1/2 teaspoon smoked paprika
- Salt to taste
- 2 tablespoons freshly chopped cilantro
- Cilantro chopped
- Avocado diced
- Shredded Mexican Cheese
- Fresh Lime
- Start off by preheating your oven to 375 degrees Fahrenheit. Then cut or slice 9 small corn tortillas into strips.
- Then spread them out and bake for about 15 minutes or until they begin to turn golden in color. Remove the crispy tortilla strips from the oven and set them aside for later.
- Now add 3 tablespoons of olive oil unit a large pot and bring the heat to medium-high. Then season 1 pound of chicken tenders with salt and pepper and cook them in the hot oil. Once they’re done remove them from the pot. After the chicken cools, cut it into small cubes.
- Then stir in 2 cups finely chopped yellow onion and 3 minced garlic cloves. Stir until the onion becomes translucent. You may add 1-2 tablespoons of additional olive oil if it cooked out with the chicken.
- Then bring the soup to a boil and add 2 tablespoons of freshly chopped cilantro. Then turn the heat off. Ladle the soup into your bowl and top with extra cilantro, diced avocado, shredded Mexican cheese, and a squeeze of fresh lime juice.