These Spicy Chipotle Burgers with Avocado Sauce are a delicious blend of spicy chipotle pepper, creamy avocado, and juicy burger. This recipe is sure to become a family favorite.
Table Of Contents
These Spicy Chipotle Burgers with Avocado Sauce have become such a huge hit with my friends and family. Once you sink your teeth into them, all you’ll be thinking about is your next bite!
- TASTE: These burgers are made with hot chipotle peppers that are balanced by a cool cilantro avocado sauce. The ingredients in this recipe are so flavorful and complement each other perfectly.
- TEXTURE: These homemade patties are super juicy and the creamy sauce on top is thick, but not chunky.
- TIME: This recipe only takes 30 minutes.
- EASE: Making your burger patties yourself takes a little extra effort, but the pay off is a delicious summer dish. I’ll walk you through just how to make this simple recipe.
What You’ll Need
- Ground beef- Some of the best cuts of beef for burgers are chuck, sirloin, and round. As for fat content, 70/30 ground beef makes the juiciest and most flavorful burgers, but 80/20 is still good and just a tad healthier.
- Chipotle peppers- These peppers soaked in adobo sauce are spicy with a tangy vinegar flavor that pairs deliciously with the beef.
- Ripe avocados- These make the sauce smooth and creamy.
- Plain Greek yogurt- Get the full-fat variety because it has a creamier, richer flavor.
- Garlic cloves- These add a great pungent flavor to the sauce.
- Fresh cilantro- This ingredient makes the avocado sauce extra fresh tasting.
- Fresh lime juice- This adds a little flavor and also keeps the sauce from browning
Add-ins and Substitutions
- Add sauces- You can add Worchester sauce, Homemade BBQ Sauce, Copycat Chick-Fil-A Sauce, or steak sauce to your burger.
- Substitute sour cream- If you want your avocado sauce to be even tangier, substitute sour cream for the Greek yogurt. Use the full-fat version for creaminess.
- Add toppings- These Spicy Chipotle Burgers with Avocado Sauce are also delicious with sauteed mushrooms, pepper jack cheese, smoked bacon, or caramelized onions on top.
- Use different spices– You can add other spices to the burger patties, such as cumin, chili powder, cayenne pepper, or paprika.
How to Make Spicy Chipotle Burgers with Avocado Sauce
- Mix ingredients into beef. In the bowl of a stand mixer, combine the ground beef, grated onion, pressed garlic cloves, chipotle pepper, kosher salt, chopped cilantro, and water. Mix on medium-low until everything is well incorporated.
- Mold the patties. Divide the ground beef into 8 equal pieces. Shape them into 5-inch patties and press a small dent into the center of each patty.
- Cook the burgers. Lightly oil the grill grate and grill on high heat for about 3-5 minutes per side, or until they reach your preferred doneness.
Pro Tip: Pressing a small dent in the center of your patties to prevent them from shrinking too much while they cook.
- Make the avocado sauce. Make the avocado sauce by placing the avocados, plain Greek yogurt, garlic cloves, salt, black pepper, cilantro, and lime juice in a blender. Pulse just until smooth.
- Assemble the chipotle burgers. Put together the burgers with the avocado sauce, along with your favorite toppings and condiments. Enjoy!
- Use a fattier beef- Because the fat in the beef will render down and give your chipotle burgers lots of juicy flavor, using a fattier beef (like 70/30 or 80/20) is best.
- Grease the grill grate- To avoid your burgers getting stuck to the grill grates as they cook and juices drip, grease or spray the grates with cooking spray so they flip easily.
- Choose ripe avocados- Unripe avocado is hard and won’t make a good sauce. Look for ones that are slightly firm, but have some give when you press on them. These will make a creamy avocado sauce.
- Check the internal temperature of the meat- If you are worried about whether the burger meat is done, you can use a meat thermometer to check that the internal temp is at least 145 degrees F.
When burgers cook, they often shrink in the heat. To keep this from happening, press the tips of your fingers into the burger patty and create a dent. This will minimize any shrinkage.
Normally, when avocados are exposed to air, they will brown. But with this avocado sauce, we add lime juice, which keeps this from happening so your sauce stays bright and delicious.
These Spicy Chipotle Burgers with Avocado Sauce are a great meal to serve at barbecues and backyard parties. They go great with so many other summer dishes.
- Toppings: Top your burgers with lettuce, tomato slices, raw onion, Homemade BBQ Sauce, pickles, Guacamole, Mexican Salsa with Roasted Corn, or these Caramelized Onions.
- Meats: Serve these burgers alongside Barbecue Pork Ribs, Smoked Beef Brisket, Chipotle Chicken Bowl Recipe (VIDEO), or Juicy Grilled Chicken Kabobs.
- Salads: Serve them with Pesto Pasta Salad (VIDEO), Cucumber Radish Salad, Avocado Corn Salad, and Chicken Pasta Salad.
- Sides: Enjoy these Spicy Chipotle Burgers with some Crispy French Fries, Air Fryer Broccoli, Potato Wedges, or Loaded Chicken Nachos.
Make This Recipe in Advance
Make ahead: You can prepare these patties in advance and freeze them for later cooking. The avocado sauce should only be made the day of because its texture is best when fresh.
Storing: Store these Spicy Chipotle Burgers in the refrigerator for 1-2 days if raw, 4 days if cooked. Keep the avocado sauce separate in an airtight container in the fridge for up to 4 days.
Freeze: Since raw burger meat cannot last long in the fridge, you can freeze any extras so they keep longer. Just freeze them by placing sheets of parchment paper in between and sealing them in a ziplock bag in the freezer. Both cooked and raw chipotle burgers can be frozen for up to 4 months.
More Tasty Grilled Dishes!
Full Recipe Instructions
Chipotle Burgers Recipe
For the patties
- 3 lb ground beef
- 1 tbsp grated onion
- 2 pressed garlic cloves
- 3 chopped chipotle pepper in adobo sauce
- 1 tsp salt
- 1/2 cup chopped cilantro
- 1/2 cup water
Ingredients for the avocado sauce
- 2 large avocados
- 1/2 cup plain Greek yogurt
- 2 garlic cloves
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 1/2 cup cilantro
- 1 tbsp lime juice
- Begin making the avocado sauce by placing 2 large avocados, 1/2 cup plain Greek yogurt, 2 garlic cloves, 3/4 tsp salt, 1/4 tsp salt, 1/2 cup cilantro, 1 tbsp lime juice in a blender. Pulse just until smooth.
- I the bowl of a stand mixer, combine 3 lb ground beef, 1 tbsp grated onion, 2 pressed garlic cloves, 6 chopped chipotle pepper in adobo sauce, 1 tsp salt, 1/2 cup chopped cilantro, and 1/2 cup water and mix on medium low-speed until all the ingredients are well incorporated.
- Divide the ground beef into 8 equal pieces. Shape them into 5-inch patties and press the center of each patty with your fingers to create a small well. This will help prevent the patties from shrinking too much while they cook on the grill.
- Lightly oil the grill grate and grill each patty for 5 minutes per side or until well done. You can either grill all 8 at once or freeze them in between sheets of parchment paper and seal in a ziplock bag for later use.
This recipe was originally posted on May 24, 2018, we have updated it since.