These Grilled Bang Bang Shrimp have a healthier grilled twist. This Bonefish Grill copycat is creamy, sweet, spicy, and slightly smoky from the grill – YUM!
Table Of Contents
Bonefish Grill is famous for this delicious shrimp appetizer. I just love the combination of shrimp dressed in a spicy-sweet sauce and served on a bed of lettuce, so I made a copycat Grilled Bang Bang Shrimp. I hope you love it, too.
- TASTE: Smoky grilled shrimp are tossed with sweet and spicy sauce for a delicious combination. The green onions add a little extra flavor that’s perfect.
- TEXTURE: The shrimp are juicy and tender with a crisp outer layer from the grill. The sauce adds a thick and creamy element that pairs well with it.
- TIME: It takes about 20 minutes to make.
- EASE: This recipe is wonderfully simple. You can easily whip this appetizer up as a fun snack or to serve to guests.
What You’ll Need
- Shrimp– You’ll want to use large raw shrimp that have been peeled and deveined.
- Onion– Green onion is a must here. Do not substitute it with anything else.
- Mayonnaise- This adds a rich and creamy base to the sauce.
- Greek yogurt- This adds a tanginess to the sauce, as well as a thick creaminess.
- Sweet chili sauce- This has a sweet and spicy flavor that gives these Bang Bang shrimp a kick.
- Sriracha- This hot sauce adds extra heat.
- Salt & Black pepper- For seasoning.
- Olive oil- This is used to coat the shrimp before grilling so they don’t stick.
Add-ins and Substitutions
- Make it lighter- You can make the sauce a little lighter by substituting the mayonnaise for Greek yogurt.
- Make it spicier– Add extra sriracha or some red pepper flakes to the sauce to give it extra heat.
- Use all mayo in the sauce- Serve this Grilled Bang Bang Shrimp with an extra creamy sauce by skipping the Greek yogurt and just using mayonnaise.
- Make it dairy-free- Substitute the Greek yogurt for plant-based yogurt so this dish is entirely dairy-free. You can also skip the yogurt altogether and just use mayo in the sauce.
How to Make Grilled Bang Bang Shrimp
- Season the shrimp. Drizzle the shrimp with olive oil and season with salt and pepper.
- Grill the shrimp. Place the shrimp on skewers and grill over medium-high heat for 2-3 mins on each side.
Pro Tip: Before you add the shrimp, soak the skewers for about 30 minutes so they don’t burn while grilling.
- Make the sauce. In a bowl, combine the mayonnaise, Greek yogurt, sweet chili sauce, sriracha, and chopped green onion.
- Add the sauce to the shrimp. Once the shrimp are done, pull them off the skewers and place them into the bang bang sauce. Toss to combine, and serve.
- Soak the wooden skewers- Soaking the skewers in water for half an hour before grilling keeps them from burning.
- Make sure the shrimp are done- The best way to tell that the shrimp are fully cooked is when they turn pink and opaque and are firm to the touch.
- Chop the green onions fine- Make sure to chop the green onions small so they mix well with the other sauce ingredients.
- Use full-fat yogurt- This type of yogurt is thicker and richer than lower fat varieties. It will give you the best creamy flavor and texture.
No, these two sauces are different. While they are both mayonnaise-based, Bang Bang sauce has a sweet, spicy flavor because of the sweet chili sauce in it, and Yum Yum sauce is more savory.
Soaking the shrimp is not necessary for this recipe because they don’t grill for long, but you can soak them in a salt water brine that will help them stay moist through cooking. This prevents them from drying out during longer cook times.
This delicious Grilled Bang Bang Shrimp is great with other dishes. Serve it with pasta, grains, veggies, or salad.
- Pasta: This creamy baked orzo is a perfectly mild pasta dish that will pair well with these grilled shrimp.
- Salad: Serve it on the side of my favorite loaded spinach salad and couscous arugula salad.
- Sides: This grilled bang bang shrimp goes perfectly with air fryer kale chips, air fryer brussels sprouts, and air fryer broccoli.
- Rice: This wild brown rice is simply divine!
Make This Recipe in Advance
Make ahead: Prepare your shrimp on the skewers and keep them covered in the fridge until ready to cook. You can also make the sauce in advance. Depending on how soon you plan to serve the shrimp, you might want to place the shrimp sauce in the fridge until ready to serve.
Storing: Store this Grilled Bang Bang Shrimp in an airtight container in the refrigerator for up to 3 days. You can reheat it in the oven or on the grill.
Freeze: If the shrimp were not previously frozen, then you can freeze them in a freezer-safe container for up tp 3 months. If they were frozen before, then they can’t be frozen again or bacteria will grow. The sauce should not be frozen because it won’t thaw well.
More Delicious Shrimp Dishes!
Watch how to make it here:
Full Recipe Instructions
Grilled Bang Bang Shrimp
- Drizzle the shrimp with olive oil and season with salt and pepper.
- Place the shrimp on skewers and grill on medium-high heat for 2-3 mins on each side or until pink and opaque.
- In a bowl combine 1/4 cup mayonnaise, 1/4 cup Greek yogurt, 2 tbsp sweet chili sauce, 1 tsp sriracha, and 2 bunches of chopped green onion.
- Once the shrimp are done, pull them off the skewers and place them into the bang bang shrimp sauce. Toss to combine. Serve over chopped iceberg lettuce.