This mashed potato pancakes recipe is simply the best way to use up those leftover mashed potatoes! They’re quick, easy, and super delicious! They also make a great side this to almost any meal.
This recipe was originally posted on Apr 1, 2015, we’ve tweaked it a bit since then.
How many times have you ended up throwing away leftover mashed potatoes? I know I’ve done it more times than I can count. I felt so bad wasting good food every time so I decided to turn them into pancakes.
They taste great with a dollop of sour cream and freshly chopped chives. If you’re making these for breakfast, serve them with some fried eggs on the side. Not only do they taste amazing, they’re also very cheap to make. Since the ingredients are basic everyday food you’d find in your kitchen, you won’t have to go grocery shopping. With quick preparation time, these mashed potato pancakes are sure to be a hit during your next brunch gathering.
This post has Amazon affiliate links for tools we used to make this recipe.
How to make mashed potato pancakes
- Combine the mashed potatoes, eggs, salt, pepper, garlic, flour, and milk in a large bowl.
- Now, heat oil in a large skillet and over medium-high heat and drop in mounds of the mashed potato pancake batter using a cookie scoop.
- Then cook each mashed potato pancake a few minutes per side or until golden brown.
Can I freeze mashed potato pancakes?
Sure thing! Let them cool completely then place them into a gallon sized ziplock bag. Freeze these savory pancakes for up to 3 months.
What to serve with mashed potato pancakes?
- You can serve mashed potato pancakes with a dollop of sour cream and some chopped chives.
- Serve them for breakfast with a fried egg on top.
- Or you can serve them along with any main course like breaded chicken skewers, roasted chicken, or beef stew.
Looking for other recipes to make with leftover mashed potatoes? Try this leftover turkey shepherds pie recipe.
Savory pancakes made with leftover mashed potatoes.
- 3 eggs
- 3 cups mashed potatoes
- 1 tsp salt
- 1/4 tsp pepper
- 1 clove garlic zested or pressed
- 1/2 cup milk
- 2 cups flour
- In a large bowl, lightly beat the eggs with a handheld mixer.
- Add the mashed potatoes, salt, pepper, garlic, and milk to the eggs. Blend until well combined.
- Add in the flour and start off blending slowly, then pick up the speed once most of the mixture has come together.
- Fill a large pan with about 1 inch of vegetable oil and heat it to the highest temperature. (Canola or corn oil works too). Using a cookie scoop, scoop out mounds of the potato batter and place it into the oil.
- Flip the pancakes once they become golden brown. Remove from oil and place on a plate lined with a piece of paper towel to absorb excess oil.
- Serve warm with sour cream and chopped chives.
This recipe was originally published on Apr 1, 2015, it has been updated since.