This Classic BLT Sandwich is a favorite for a reason. Made with crispy bacon and fresh veggies, this popular sandwich is savory and simple, and perfect for any time of the day or night.
Table Of Contents
When it comes to sandwiches, the classic BLT sandwich has been around a while. There’s something about the mix of flavors and textures that makes it a favorite. I love serving up this simple yet delicious recipe for a quick and easy meal.
- TASTE: Sweet, salty, and savory, this sandwich has tons of flavor. The tangy ranch is a tasty addition that complements the bacon and veggies.
- TEXTURE: This BLT has crispy bacon, crisp lettuce, juicy tomatoes, and pillowy white bread. It’s the perfect combination.
- TIME: It’ll take you less than 5 minutes to make.
- EASE: Once your bacon is cooked, there’s nothing to do but assemble the sandwich. So easy!
What You’ll Need
- Sliced rustic bread– We like the denseness of thick-cut, homemade bread, but you can really use any kind.
- Crispy bacon slices– I use an air fryer to cook my bacon, but you can also bake it in the oven or make it on the griddle.
- Ranch– We like Ken’s brand, but you can make homemade ranch, too!
- Mayonnaise– This keeps the sandwich moist and adds yummy rich flavor. Any kind is fine.
- Tomatoes– For easy assembly, I prefer larger tomatoes to small ones, like plum tomatoes. But flavor-wise, any will work.
- Romaine lettuce– You can also use other types of lettuce, like iceberg or arugula. But I find that romaine has the best flavor and texture for a BLT.
Add-ins and Substitutions
- Add avocado- Some creamy avocado slices taste amazing with these BLT flavors.
- Change up the sauce- In addition to the classic mayo, add some barbecue sauce or sriracha for more flavor and heat.
- Add some more protein- A chicken breast or sliced turkey would make this sandwich even more filling and tasty.
- Sprinkle some spice- If you like it hot, then add some cayenne pepper, tabasco, or red pepper flakes to the mayo before spreading it on your sandwich bread.
How to Make a BLT Sandwich
- Make the dressing. Combine the ranch and mayonnaise in a small bowl.
- Dress the bread. Once mixed, spread it generously on both slices of bread.
- Assemble your BLT sandwich. Layer on the bacon. lettuce, and tomato slices. Adjust how much you want based on your preference. Then, place the second slice of bread on top and serve your BLT immediately.
Pro Tip: Either air fry the bacon or place it between layers of paper towel after it’s cooked to absorb so that your BLT isn’t greasy.
- Spread the mayo and ranch on both sides- These two condiments act as a barrier between the juicy tomato and bacon and the bread to avoid it getting soggy.
- Make the bacon extra crispy- BLTs taste best when the bacon is nice and crispy because it complements the juiciness of the tomatoes and softness of the bread.
- Use thick-cut bread- With all the fillings in this sandwich, you want to choose a bread that can hold up under the weight of them.
- Add as much or as little of the fillings as you like- Go ahead and add extra bacon or just one slice of tomato. The ratio of bacon, lettuce, and tomato is all up to you.
The best lettuce to use for BLT sandwiches is Romaine lettuce. This variety is both crispy and leafy, with a nice mild flavor. You could also use a crispy iceberg or more vitamin-packed spinach, but for the best flavor and texture, romaine is the way to go.
You can use white, wheat, pumpernickel, rye, or gluten-free bread. Any will work as it’s just a personal preference, but make sure it is thick enough to handle your fillings. I like this rustic homemade bread for mine. You can leave it as is or toast the bread for some added crunch.
BLTs are really versatile and compatible with so many foods. Serve them with soup, salad, fries, or vegetables for a delicious lunch or dinner.
- Soup: Serve this classic sandwich with a bowl of Tortellini Soup, Potato Leek Soup, Broccoli Cheddar Soup, or Easy Chicken Noodle Soup from Scratch.
- Salad: Pair your BLT with a Broccoli Salad With Bacon and Cheese, Spinach Salad, Cucumber Tomato Feta Salad, or Cucumber Radish Salad.
- Fries: Enjoy it with some Crispy Air Fryer French Fries, Air Fryer Zucchini Fries, The BEST Air Fryer Sweet Potato Fries, or Air Fryer Potato Wedges.
- Vegetables: Serve this BLT recipe with Crispy Air Fryer Broccoli, Parmesan Roasted Potatoes, Air Fryer Green Beans, or Bacon Wrapped Asparagus.
Make This Recipe in Advance
Make ahead: It’s best not to assemble this sandwich too far in advance, but you can prep it. Go ahead and cook the bacon and cut the vegetables and bread. When it comes time to put your classic BLT together, warm the bacon and assemble the pieces.
Storing: Technically, you can save your BLT for about 3 days , wrapped in plastic wrap in the refrigerator. However, once you have put your sandwich together, it can’t sit long without the liquids in the tomato and lettuce leaching into the bread and making the bacon soggy. So, for best flavor, eat it right away.
Freeze: It’s best not to freeze a BLT sandwich because the tomato and lettuce will not thaw well and neither will the ranch and mayo. But you can freeze the bacon (if it was not previously frozen) and the bread.
More Yummy Sandwiches!
Full Recipe Instructions
Classic BLT Sandwich
- Start off by mixing the ranch and mayonnaise together in a small bowl.
- Once the dressing is mixed up, generously spread it on one side of the bread slices.
- Now add the lettuce, bacon, and sliced tomatoes on top. Then place the other slice of bread on top. Like all sandwiches, you can adjust how much of each ingredient you want.