This Classic BLT Sandwich is a favorite for a reason. Made with crispy bacon and fresh veggies, this popular sandwich is savory and simple, and perfect for any time of the day or night.
The most classic BLT sandwich
When it comes to sandwiches, the classic BLT has been around a while, but is still a favorite. There’s something about the soft fluffy white bread, sweet mayo, fresh vegetables, and crispy bacon that just come together in the perfect mix of tastes and textures. Crispy and creamy. Sweet and Salty. The BLT, always made with bacon, lettuce, and tomato, is simple, yet oh so delicious. There are so many tasty classics out there, like this turkey sandwich, grilled cheese sandwich, and tuna sandwich, but BLT sandwiches are the best – although a BLT wrap ain’t bad either!
What goes into a BLT?
- Sliced rustic bread
- Crispy bacon slices
- Ranch (we like kens brand, but you can make homemade ranch too!)
- Sliced tomatoes
- Romaine lettuce
Best type of lettuce to use
The best lettuce to use for BLT sandwiches is Romaine lettuce. This variety is both crispy and leafy, with a nice mild flavor. You could also use a crispy iceberg or more vitamin-packed spinach, but for the best flavor and texture, romaine is the way to go.
How can I spice it up?
- Add avocado- Some creamy avocado slices taste amazing with these BLT flavors.
- Change up the sauce- In addition to the classic mayo, add some barbecue sauce or sriracha for more flavor and heat.
- Add some more protein- A chicken breast or sliced turkey would make this sandwich even more filling and tasty.
- Sprinkle some spice- If you like it hot, then add some cayenne pepper, tabasco, or red pepper flakes to the mayo before spreading it on your sandwich bread.
How to make a perfect BLT
- Make the dressing. Combine the ranch and mayonnaise in a small bowl.
- Dress the bread. Once mixed, spread it generously on both slices of bread.
- Assemble your BLT sandwich. Layer on the bacon. lettuce, and tomato slices. Adjust how much you want based on your preference. Then, place the second slice of bread on top and serve your BLT immediately.
Should I toast the bread?
It’s optional. You can toast it if you prefer a little more crunch to your BLT sandwiches, but I find it easier to eat when it’s not toasted.
What goes well with a BLT sandwich?
A BLT sandwich tastes great with a side of air fryer french fries and crispy air fryer chicken tenders. You could also serve it with roasted parmesan potatoes and a bowl of chicken noodle soup. This sandwich can also go well with savory chicken bacon ranch pasta and a creamy tomato salad. BLTs are really versatile and compatible with so many foods.
Can I make it ahead of time?
It’s not best to assemble this sandwich too far in advance, but you can prep it. Go ahead and cook the bacon and cut the vegetables and bread. When it comes time to put your classic BLT together, warm the bacon and assemble the pieces.
How long will it keep?
Technically, you can save your BLT for about 3 days , wrapped in plastic wrap in the refrigerator. However, once you have put your sandwich together, it can’t sit long without the liquids in the tomato and lettuce leaching into the bread and making the bacon soggy. So, for best flavor, eat it right away.
Classic BLT Sandwich
- Start off by mixing the ranch and mayonnaise together in a small bowl.
- Once the dressing is mixed up, generously spread it on one side of the bread slices.
- Now add the lettuce, bacon, and sliced tomatoes on top. Then place the other slice of bread on top. Like all sandwiches, you can adjust how much of each ingredient you want.