These Healthy Air Fryer Zucchini Fries are so crispy and tasty. If you’re looking for a healthy snack, then these non-greasy fries will feed your craving and give you a serving of veggies, too.
Air fryer zucchini fries
Sometimes you just want something fried. And these delicious air fryer zucchini fries are just the thing. Dredged in panko, bread crumbs, and Parmesan, and then flavored with garlic and salt, these zucchini fries are crispy and not the least bit greasy. The texture and flavor are so good. They taste great on their own or you could dip them in this awesome 3-ingredient chick-fil-a sauce or in buttermilk ranch. However you serve them, you should definitely give these air fryer zucchini fries a try as a healthy alternative to other fried snacks.
Here is what you need to make them
Base: Zucchini, cut in strips for fries or rounds if you prefer chips
Dip: Eggs, salt, and garlic.
Dredge: Panko bread crumbs, plain bread crumbs, and Parmesan cheese.
Paleo version- Substitute coconut or almond flour for the bread crumbs in the dredge to make this zucchini fries recipe paleo-friendly.
Low carb version- You can also use almond or coconut flour for the dredge to cut down on the carbs in this recipe. Ground up pork rinds are another possibility.
Gluten-free version- Almond, coconut, or rice flour are great gluten-free options to replace the bread crumbs in these air fryer zucchini fries.
How to make air fryer zucchini fries
- Make the dip. Combine the egg, salt, and garlic. Whisk them together with a fork.
- Cut and dip the zucchini. Slice the zucchini into strips and then dip each one into the egg mixture.
- Make the dredge. Combine the panko, bread crumbs, Parmesan, and salt in a bowl.
- Dredge the zucchini sticks. Dip each zucchini stick into the bread mixture, making sure it is coated on all sides.
- Oil the basket and fries. Spray cooking spray on the air fryer basket and then place your zucchini sticks inside. Spray the tops and sides of the zucchini with the cooking spray.
- Bake. Bake your zucchini fries in the air fryer for about 8 minutes at 400 degrees Fahrenheit. Serve.
Tips to make them extra crunchy
Because zucchini has a lot of moisture inside, you can release some of the excess liquid by sprinkling salt on the zucchini sticks and laying them out on a paper towel for about 20 minutes. Then bread and bake them.
Another way to make them extra crunchy is to add a little more Panko to the breading mixture and bake them for a few extra minutes in the air fryer to get a nice crispy exterior. This tip also works for other tasty air fryer recipes, like air fryer chicken tenders, air fryer broccoli, and air fryer brussels sprouts.
How to reheat them
The best way to reheat these air fryer zucchini fries and not lose any of the amazing crispy texture is to put them back in the air fryer and bake them at 400 degrees Fahrenheit for about 3-4 minutes. They will come out as crunchy as the first time.
Can I freeze them?
Yes, you can freeze zucchini fries. Place your cooled fries in a ziplock freezer bag and you can store them in the freezer for a few months. Then, when you are ready to eat them, just reheat them in the air fryer.
Healthy Air Fryer Zucchini Fries
- 1 medium zucchini
- 1 large egg
- 1 garlic clove
- 1/2 tsp salt divided
- Combine the egg with salt, 1/4 tsp salt, and pressed garlic.
- Then slice the zucchini into strips and dip them in the egg mixture.
- Then dredge the zucchini fries into the breading mixture.
- Bake at 400 degrees Fahrenheit for about 8 minutes.