This tangy and delicious Buttermilk Ranch Dressing is so easy to make. Try it on your favorite salads, wraps, and pizza!
This ranch dressing makes the perfect dipping sauce for these Air fryer chicken tenders and Air fryer french fries.
Buttermilk ranch dressing recipe
Like any store-bought dressing, homemade is always better. There are fewer preservatives and less sodium. This buttermilk ranch dressing recipe is a quick homemade dressing that will go well with almost any salad, like this spinach salad, or sandwich. We love to serve this ranch dressing with sliced vegetables for dipping, too. The best part about this recipe is that all the ingredients are typically found in your refrigerator and pantry. You might not even need to go to the grocery store to make this amazing ranch dressing!
What is ranch dressing made of
Dry ingredients- Garlic powder, Onion powder, Dried dill, and Granulated sugar.
Wet ingredients- Mayonnaise, Dijon mustard, Lime juice, Sour cream, and Buttermilk.
How to make buttermilk ranch dressing
- Combine dry ingredients. In a small bowl, add the sugar, garlic powder, onion powder, and dried dill. Whisk to combine.
- Combine the wet ingredients. In a larger bowl, whisk together the lime juice, Dijon mustard, mayonnaise, and sour cream. Do not add the buttermilk yet.
- Add the dry mix into the wet. Pour the dry mix into the larger bowl, whisking it into the wet mix.
- Add in the buttermilk. Whisk in the buttermilk and stir until everything is well incorporated.
- Serve. You can store this in the fridge or serve it right away with your favorite buffalo chicken wings or chicken pesto pizza.
Can I make ranch without buttermilk?
Yes, you can. If you don’t have or want to use buttermilk, you can make this ranch dressing by increasing the sour cream and mayonnaise to take its place. You can also substitute regular milk in place of the buttermilk.
How to store it
Because of the ingredients in this buttermilk ranch dressing recipe, you will need to store it in the refrigerator. Place it in a container with a lid or in a clean dressing bottle.
How long will it keep?
This ranch dressing will keep for about 1 week. Just keep it refrigerated so that the ingredients stay fresh.
What to serve with ranch
There are so many delicious things you can do with buttermilk ranch dressing! It makes a great dipping sauce for tasty bites like these baked breaded chicken skewers and these quinoa chicken nuggets. It also is a great addition to a sandwich or BLT wrap.
Full Recipe Instructions
Buttermilk Ranch Recipe
- 1/2 tsp garlic powder
- 1/2 tsp onion powder
- 1/2 tsp dried dill
- 1/2 tsp granulated sugar
- 1/2 tsp lime juice
- 1/4 tsp Dijon mustard
- 1/3 cup mayonnaise
- 1/2 cup sour cream
- 1/2 cup buttermilk
- Combine all dry ingredients: garlic powder, onion powder, dried dill, and sugar.
- In a bowl, add the mixed dry ingredients with lime juice, Dijon mustard, mayonnaise, and sour cream.
- Whisk in the buttermilk. Store in the refrigerator.
This recipe was originally posted on May 31, 2016, we’ve tweaked it a bit since then.
- Easy Napoleon Cake Recipe (VIDEO) - June 7, 2023
- Tropical Smoothie - June 5, 2023
- Cherry Cobbler - June 3, 2023
How long with the dressing last In the fridge?
Hi Lily, you should be able to store homemade ranch dressing for about 2 weeks if stored in an air tight container like a mason jar.
Love a good homemade salad dressing. I should try this. Pinned 😉
Thank you Peggy 🙂