This tutorial for how to make Healthy Chicken Nuggets with quinoa is a great way to make guilt-free homemade food your children will love.
If you like using ground chicken in place of other meats, then you will love our Chicken Meatball Soup recipe!
Chicken Nuggets with Quinoa
Often times we want to eat healthily, but don’t want to take the time to cook because healthy food is usually prepared fresh. Sometimes heating some frozen meals are just so much simpler and faster. Well, what if I told you I have an incredibly delicious freezer friendly quinoa recipe with chicken that is jam-packed with nutrition? Sounds almost too good to be true huh?
I am excited to show you how to make chicken nuggets with ground chicken and quinoa that your children (and you) will devour! These quinoa chicken nuggets even include a few cooked vegetables! Coated with a bit of cheese and Panko breadcrumbs, they are just as crunchy on the outside as the unhealthy version.
If you have the chance to grind your own meat, please please do! Grinding your own chicken will make these nuggets taste oh so amazing. If you ever see a sale on chicken breast, stock up, grind it, and freeze it in zip lock bags. You won’t believe how much better your food will taste with your own ground chicken.
Ingredients for Healthy Chicken Nuggets
How to make Chicken Nuggets with quinoa
Prepare your vegetables by dicing fine then sauteing and processing fine into a paste. Cook your quinoa as directed and set aside. You will then combine ingredients to form a chicken nugget base. Follow directions below for how to make chicken nuggets and then coat with the Panko crust. Cook and serve! For the complete recipe, make sure to scroll to the bottom and print.
Note: After you coat the nuggets in panko, you can keep them frozen in an airtight container for later if you want to prepare in large batches and cook only when needed.
More Chicken Recipes
I love creating recipes that are healthier for my family but still offer that comfort food feeling we want. This post is all about how to make chicken nuggets healthier by using fresh ground chicken breast, vegetables, and quinoa as a base. Below, you will find some more of my favorite healthy chicken recipes your family will love!
How to Make Chicken Nuggets with Ground Chicken and Quinoa
- 1/2 small onion diced
- 1 small carrot diced
- 1 stalk celery diced
- olive oil for frying
- 1/2 cup uncooked quinoa
- 2 lb ground chicken breast
- 1/2 cup grated or shredded Parmesan cheese
- 1 cup shredded mozzarella
- 1 clove garlic minced or zested
- 1 tsp salt
- 1/4 tsp pepper
- 1 cup flour
- 4 eggs beaten together
- Panko bread crumbs
- Dice the onion, carrot, and celery into fine pieces.
- Heat about 2 tbsp of olive oil over medium and sauté the diced vegetables until the onion becomes translucent. Set aside and let it cool down to room temperature.
- Rinse the quinoa really well, then cook according to the package instructions and set aside until cooled.
- In a food processor, blend the the sautéed vegetables until they turn into a paste.
- In a large bowl, combine the ground chicken, cooked quinoa, garlic, processed vegetables, parmesan, mozzarella, salt, and black pepper.
- Scoop out a heaping tablespoon of the ground chicken mixture and form it into a round nugget.
- Dredge each nugget into the flour, then dip into the beaten eggs.
- Coat both sides with panko bread crumbs and set aside on a baking sheet.
- Heat 2 inches of olive oil in a cast iron or heavy bottomed pan and cook each nugget for about 3-4 minutes on each side.
This recipe was originally posted on June 3, 2015, but we’ve tweaked it a bit since then.