These Chicken Fritters with Zucchini are so delicious, you won’t believe that they’re gluten-free, paleo, and Whole30 approved! Follow my flavor-packed recipe for a tasty meal!
Table Of Contents
Chicken Fritters with Zucchini Recipe Details
These Chicken Fritters with Zucchini make such an easy and healthy meal. I love that they’re paleo, gluten-free, and Whole30 compliant. And best of all, kids love them, too.
- TASTE: These Chicken Fritters have a delicious garlicky flavor with a hint of spice from the cayenne.
- TEXTURE: Crisp on the outside and tender on the inside, these fritters are so delicious.
- TIME: This recipe only takes about 30 minutes from start to finish.
- EASE: It’s so easy to make these fritters. Just combine, cook, and enjoy!
What You’ll Need
- Meat– Ground chicken breasts or thighs
- Vegetables– Zucchini and Garlic clove
- Spices– Salt, Pepper, Cayenne, and Smoked paprika
- Egg– for binding
- Avocado oil– for frying
How to Make Chicken Fritters with Zucchini
- Shred the zucchini. Using a box grater, shred the zucchini. Squeeze the juices out and place it into a large bowl.
- Add the chicken, egg, and spices. Place the ground chicken, egg, pressed garlic, salt, black pepper, smoked paprika, and cayenne pepper into the bowl. Then mix together until all of the ingredients are well incorporated.
- Heat the skillet. Pour enough avocado oil into a skillet to cover the entire surface of the pan. Bring the heat to medium-high.
- Fry the chicken fritters. Scoop the zucchini and chicken mixture using a large trigger-release cookie scoop and place it into the hot oil. Cook each side for about 3-4 minutes, or until golden brown. Serve warm.
Pro Tip: Any kind of high smoke point oil will work here, such as vegetable, canola, or corn oil. These are best suited for frying.
- Drain the zucchini shreds- Moisture in the fritter mixture can make it too wet to fry and hold together. Squeeze out the extra liquid for the best texture.
- Use a cookie scoop for measuring- Not only will this keep your fritters uniform in size for better cooking, it will also make it easier to drop them into the oil. The trigger-release is a big help here.
- Soak up excess oil- To get rid of extra oil from frying, place the cooked Chicken Fritters on a paper towel-lined plate to absorb the excess.
Add-ins and Substitutions
- Skip the zucchini- If you are not a fan of zucchini, these Chicken Fritters can be enjoyed without it.
- Add other vegetables- Instead of zucchini, try these with eggplant, yellow squash, jalapenos, or cucumbers. Just remember to drain out the extra liquid, especially with cucumbers.
- Substitute other spices- Enjoy these Chicken Fritters with Zucchini seasoned with chili powder, curry, or cumin. You could also add some acidity with lime juice or apple cider vinegar.
- Make them vegetarian- If you prefer a meatless version, then try these Zucchini Fritters. And to make them vegan, substitute avocado or unsweetened applesauce for the egg.
Yes, these fritters are also delicious with cheese. The best cheeses to use are those that are creamy or crumbly, such as ricotta or feta. Add them to the mixture before frying.
For a similar texture, you can also use ground turkey, pork, or beef. You can even use tofu. Just make sure the proteins are ground so they hold together through cooking.
These Chicken Fritters with Zucchini are great as a snack or as part of a meal. Here are some delicious serving ideas:
- Pasta: Try these fritters with Zucchini and Garlic Pasta or Cheesy Baked Orzo.
- Sides: Make this a main dish with sides of Wild Brown Rice, Roasted Air Fryer Vegetables, or Garlic Parmesan Air Fryer Potato Wedges.
- Sauces: Serve these Chicken Fritters with a dipping sauce, such as Greek Yogurt Sauce, Buttermilk Ranch Dressing, Copycat Chick-Fil-A Sauce, or a garlic aioli.
Make These Chicken Fritters in Advance
Make ahead: Allow the cooked fritters to cool and then place them in an airtight container or ziplock bag. Refrigerate or freeze.
Storing: These Chicken Fritters will last for about 4-5 days in the fridge in an airtight container.
Freeze: You can freeze these in a freezer-safe container for up to 2 months. To reheat, bake them at 375 degrees Fahrenheit in the oven or in an air fryer until they are warmed through and crisp. This takes about 15 minutes if they are thawed, or about 30 minutes from the freezer.
More Tasty Chicken Dishes!
- Crispy Air Fryer Chicken Wings
- Savory Crepes with Chicken and Mushroom Filling
- Creamy Chicken Pesto Pasta
- Breaded Air Fryer Chicken Tenders (VIDEO)
- Chipotle Chicken Bowl Recipe (VIDEO)
Watch Video Here
Full Recipe Instructions
Chicken Fritters with Zucchini
- Shred 2 1/2 cups of zucchini with a box grater. Squeeze the juices out and place them into a large bowl.
- Place the ground chicken, egg, pressed garlic, salt, black pepper, smoked paprika, and cayenne pepper into the bowl of shredded zucchini. Mix until all ingredients are well incorporated.
- In a skillet, pour enough avocado oil to cover the entire surface of the pan. Bring the heat to medium-high heat. Tip: you can use any kind of high smoke point oil like vegetable, calona, or corn oil.
his recipe was originally posted June 7, 2018, we’ve tweaked it a bit since then.