These Crispy Air Fryer Chicken Wings are so easy to make and taste juicy and delicious. Cooked to perfection, their texture and flavor are much better than deep-fried wings.
Crispy air fryer chicken wings
Air fryers are so great at giving us a healthier way to enjoy our favorite foods. Instead of frying chicken wings in tons of oil to get them crispy, this air fryer recipe produces crisp and juicy wings that taste great all on their own or with sauce. Whether you’re making them for a snack or meal, you can feel good about this healthier version of this finger food favorite. Serve them with your favorite sauce, like this Chick-Fil-A Sauce, or plate them with some air fryer French fries and asparagus for dinner. Crispy chicken wings are a versatile food that everyone can enjoy.
How does an air fryer make food crispy?
Without using oil like traditional deep-frying, an air fryer cooks all sides of the food by circulating hot air quickly throughout the fryer. In a regular oven, you’d have to flip and turn food for even cooking, but the air fryer cooks all sides at the same time and the same amount. This is great because it lessens the cooking time, making your food crispy, cooked through, and not overdone.
Can I use frozen wings?
Yes. To fully cook them, add about 5 minutes at 380 degrees Fahrenheit to the initial cook time when using frozen wings.
How to make air fryer chicken wings
- Thaw and dry the chicken. Thaw the chicken wings and then pat away the moisture on each one with a paper towel.
- Put together ingredients. Add the chicken wings, paprika, salt, pepper, and oil in a large bowl. Using clean hands, toss everything together until well incorporated.
- Marinate. Cover the bowl with plastic wrap and place it in the refrigerator for 3 hours to marinate. If you don’t have time, you can also cook these wings right away.
- Cook. Place the chicken wings in the air fryer basket, making sure to leave some room between them for air circulation. Cook them at 380 degrees Fahrenheit for 12 minutes, flipping halfway through.
- Crisp the wings. To get your chicken wings nice and crispy, cook them for another 8 minutes at 400 degrees Fahrenheit. Serve.
Crispy chicken wings are great for a snack, but you can easily pair them with some other side dishes for a delicious meal. Try adding some cheesy baked orzo, parmesan roasted potatoes, air fryer zucchini fries, air fryer french fries, or mac and cheese to make your chicken wings really shine.
Our favorite sauces for chicken wings
Chicken wings are twice as amazing with a tasty sauce. Here are a few great ones to try:
- Buttermilk ranch– This tangy ranch is so good on plain or sauced chicken wings.
- 4-ingredient barbecue sauce– This bbq sauce is easy to make and has a sweet and smoky flavor.
- 3-ingredient Chick-Fil-A sauce– This copycat recipe is a perfect mix of sweet, tangy, and smoky.
Can I stack them?
No, you want to avoid stacking your wings. An air fryer works by circulating hot air on all sides of the chicken wings. If they are pressed together or stacked, the air will not get to those parts and your wings will come out undercooked. Make sure there is space between each chicken wing for the best results.
Crispy Air Fryer Chicken Wings
Thaw and pat the chicken dry
- If your chicken wings are frozen make sure to thaw them thoroughly and Pat them dry with a paper towel.
Season and marinate
- Using your clean hands, toss all the ingredients around until thoroughly combined. Then cover the chicken with plastic wrap and refrigerate for three hours to marinate. If you don't have time to marinate the chicken, you can still cook it right away.
Cook in the air fryer
- ￼￼Place the marinated chicken in the bottom of your air fryer basket and cook at 380 degrees Fahrenheit for 12 minutes flipping halfway through. ￼
- Then cook for another 8 minutes at 400 degrees Fahrenheit to get the outside of the skin nice and crispy.