These Crispy Air Fryer Chicken Wings are so easy to make and taste absolutely delicious. The air fryer gives them a perfect texture and flavor, making them much better than deep-fried wings.
Table Of Contents
- Why air fryer chicken wings are better than traditional fried wings
- Here’s what you will need
- How to make air fryer chicken wings
- How does an air fryer make food crispy?
- Can I use frozen wings?
- Serving suggestions
- Flavor variations
- How to make Lemon pepper wings
- How to make BBQ wings
- How to make buffalo wings
- Our favorite sauces for chicken wings
- Can I stack them in the air fryer?
- More Air fryer recipes to try!
- Recipe Video Tutorial
- Full Recipe Instructions
Why air fryer chicken wings are better than traditional fried wings
Air fryers are so great at giving us a healthier way to enjoy our favorite foods. Instead of frying chicken wings in tons of oil to get them crispy, this air fryer recipe produces crisp and juicy wings that taste great all on their own or with a sauce like 4-ingredient BBQ and buttermilk ranch. Whether you’re making them for a snack or meal, you can feel good about this healthier version of this finger food favorite. Serve them with your favorite sauce, like this Chick-Fil-A Sauce, or plate them with some air fryer French fries and asparagus for dinner. Crispy chicken wings are a versatile food that everyone can enjoy!
Here’s what you will need
The basic recipe only requires a few simple ingredients. For more variations, scroll down to the full recipe card.
- Chicken wings– also known as part wings
- spices: salt, pepper, paprika,
- Olive oil– to help get the wings nice and crispy
- Garlic– enhances flavors.
How to make air fryer chicken wings
This is a quick breakdown. For the full recipe, scroll down to the printable recipe card.
- Thaw and dry the chicken. Thaw the chicken wings and then pat away the moisture on each one with a paper towel.
- Put together ingredients. Add the chicken wings, paprika, salt, pepper, and oil to a large bowl. Using clean hands, toss everything together until well incorporated.
- Marinate. Cover the bowl with plastic wrap and place it in the refrigerator for 3 hours to marinate. If you don’t have time, you can also cook these wings right away.
- Cook. Place the chicken wings in the air fryer basket, making sure to leave some room between them for air circulation. Cook them at 380 degrees Fahrenheit for 12 minutes, flipping halfway through.
- Crisp the wings. To get your chicken wings nice and crispy, cook them for another 8 minutes at 400 degrees Fahrenheit. Serve.
How does an air fryer make food crispy?
Without using oil like traditional deep-frying, an air fryer cooks all sides of the food by circulating hot air quickly throughout the fryer. In a regular oven, you’d have to flip and turn food for even cooking, but the air fryer cooks all sides at the same time and the same amount. This is great because it lessens the cooking time, making your food crispy, cooked through, and not overdone.
Can I use frozen wings?
Yes. To fully cook them, add about 5 minutes at 390 degrees Fahrenheit to the initial cook time when using frozen wings.
Crispy chicken wings are great for a snack, but you can easily pair them with some other side dishes for a delicious meal. Try adding some cheesy baked orzo, parmesan roasted potatoes, air fryer zucchini fries, air fryer french fries, or mac and cheese to make your chicken wings really shine.
- Lemon pepper– ads a little citrus and tang
- Barbecue– all you need is the basic seasoning and your favorite BBQ sauce
- Buffalo– the best buffalo wings sauce is a simple as melted butter and franks red hot buffalo sauce.
- Garlic parmesan– marinate them with extra garlic and toss them in grated parmesan cheese once they are done air-frying.
How to make Lemon pepper wings
For the full recipe, scroll down to the printable recipe card.
- Add the chicken wings to a large bowl along with garlic, salt, pepper, paprika, and olive oil. Then mix it up.
- Preheat the air fryer to 390 degrees Fahrenheit and cook the chicken wings for 12 minutes flipping halfway through. Then pick the heat up to 400 and cook for another 8 minutes.
- Then melt unsalted butter in a saucepan with garlic powder, onion powder, and lemon pepper seasoning and pour it over the crispy wings.
How to make BBQ wings
- Mix the wings with oil, garlic, salt, pepper, and paprika, and cook the wings the same exact way you did with the lemon pepper flavor. But at the end, brush barbecue sauce onto both sides of the wings and cook at 400 degrees Fahrenheit for 2 more minutes.
How to make buffalo wings
- Toss the chicken wings with salt, garlic powder, onion powder, and baking powder, then cook for 12 minutes at 390 degrees Fahrenheit flipping halfway through. Then cook at 400 degrees for 8 more minutes.
- Then mix the buffalo sauce with melted butter and pour it over the wings.
Our favorite sauces for chicken wings
Chicken wings are twice as amazing with a tasty sauce. Here are a few great ones to try:
- Homemade ranch– This tangy ranch is so good on plain or sauced chicken wings.
- Easy BBQ sauce– This bbq sauce is easy to make and has a sweet and smoky flavor.
- Copycat Chick-Fil-A sauce– This copycat recipe is a perfect mix of sweet, tangy, and smoky.
Can I stack them in the air fryer?
No, you want to avoid stacking your wings. An air fryer works by circulating hot air on all sides of the chicken wings. If they are pressed together or stacked, the air will not get to those parts and your wings will come out undercooked. Make sure there is space between each chicken wing for the best results.
More Air fryer recipes to try!
- Air fryer pork chops
- Breaded Air fryer chicken tenders
- Air fryer chicken thighs
- Perfect Air fryer salmon
- Air fryer zucchini fries
- Crispy french fries
- Air fryer Bacon
- Steak bites
- air fryer asparagus, Brussels sprouts, and broccoli
Recipe Video Tutorial
Full Recipe Instructions
Crispy Air Fryer Chicken Wings
- If your chicken wings are frozen make sure to thaw them thoroughly and Pat them dry with a paper towel.
- Using your clean hands, toss all the ingredients around until thoroughly combined. Then cover the chicken with plastic wrap and refrigerate for three hours to marinate. If you don't have time to marinate the chicken, you can still cook it right away.
- ￼￼Place the marinated chicken in the bottom of your air fryer basket and cook at 390 degrees Fahrenheit for 12 minutes flipping halfway through. ￼
- Then cook for another 8 minutes at 400 degrees Fahrenheit to get the outside of the skin nice and crispy.