This wild brown rice recipe goes beyond your typical pilaf or risotto. It’s loaded with sauteed shallots and carrots. The perfect side for any fancy meal.
This filling side dish pairs perfectly with my grilled pineapple salmon. You simply must try them together.
This recipe was originally posted March 23, 2015, we’ve tweaked it a bit since then. This post may contain affiliate links. Read my disclosure policy here.
This wild brown rice recipe is my go-to rice when I want to serve it with a fancier chicken or fish recipe. It’s very flavorful, yet subtle enough to go with pretty much any dish. It is also a healthier alternative to white rice.
How To Make Wild Brown Rice
Don’t let the title fool you. Wild brown rice is just as simple to prepare as white rice – but it contains more nutrients and fiber. Plus, it just has so much more flavor. It only has a handful of ingredients and even fewer steps. You’ll impress everyone with this deceptively easy dish.
How Long to Cook Brown Rice
There are quite a few ways to cook rice. Here are some of the most popular ways to cook rice, with their cooking times:
- Stovetop – 1 hour
- Rice Cooker – 45 minutes to an Hour
- Instant Pot – 20 to 30 minutes
How To Make Brown Rice Taste Good
In my opinion, brown rice naturally tastes better than white rice. But if you want a few tips to add more flavor to your wild brown rice, here are my favorites:
- Garlic – Add some garlic to the carrots and shallot to add a burst of flavor
- Broth – Cook the rice in half water half chicken broth for a more rounded flavor profile
- Spices – Add your favorite spices to the cooked rice. Popular ones include basil, thyme, and parsley.
Wild Brown Rice Ingredients
- Diced shallots
- Medium carrot, diced
- Brown and wild rice blend
1. In a saucepan, saute the carrot and shallots in the butter.
2. Add in the rice blend and stir over medium heat. Add the water and salt to the rice and cook covered.
3. When the rice is fully cooked, it is ready to eat!
It is such a simple recipe and ends up being a luxuriously healthy and beautiful side dish in the end.
Brown and Wild Rice
- 4 tbsp butter
- 1/3 cup diced shallots
- 1 medium carrot diced
- 2 cups brown and wild rice blend
- 4 1/3 cup water
- 1 1/2 tsp salt
- 1. In a saucepan saute the carrot and shallots in the butter over medium heat until the shallots become translucent.
- 2. Add in the brown and wild rice blend and stir over medium heat for about 2 minutes. Add the water to the rice and cook on medium low heat for 1 hour.
- In a saucepan, saute the carrot and shallots in the butter over medium heat until the shallots become translucent.
- Add in the brown and wild rice blend and stir over medium heat for about 2 minutes. Add the water to the rice and cook on medium low heat for 1 hour.
More Side Dishes
This wild brown rice is my favorite side dish. Try some of these next.
- Roasted Acorn Squash with Brown Sugar and Butter
- Shredded Carrot Salad
- Tri Color Pasta Salad Recipe
- Garlic Parmesan Roasted Carrots