This shredded carrot salad has simple and clean ingredients that even the strictest dieters can enjoy without limits. The flavors of the garlic and coriander give this salad such an amazing fragrant flavor.
If you’ve ever been to any Russian or Slavic wedding you’ve more likely seen this salad along with many other Russian cuisines like:
- Eggplant salad
- rice stuffed chicken thighs
- Russian beet salad
- purple cabbage salad
- cabbage cucumber salad
How to make shredded carrot salad
- Combine the salt, pepper, sugar, coriander, paprika, and cayenne in a small bowl.
- Shred up the peeled carrot using a mandolin. Then put the shredded carrots into a large bowl and mix it with the spices.
- Pour in the white vinegar and mix thoroughly.
- Heat the vegetable oil in a pan until it’s smoking hot. Pour it over the seasoned shredded carrots and mix it with the grated garlic.
Ingredients for shredded carrot salad
- shredded carrot
- black pepper
- granulated sugar
- ground coriander
- white vinegar
- vegetable oil
This post has Amazon affiliate links for tools we used to make this recipe.
How to shred carrots
There are a few different ways to shred carrots.
- Mandoline– this is my preferred method for this salad because it produces long thin carrot slices.
- Food processor– if you don’t have a mandolin, a food processor will get the job done even faster.
- Box Grater– is the least expensive option and also works very well for this shredded carrot salad.
What to serve with shredded carrot salad?
- We usually serve this fresh carrot salad with any grilled meat like grilled chicken kebabs
- Since you’re already going to be shredded things, might as well serve it with another recipe that requires a little shredded. These paleo chicken zucchini fritters are a great option.
- We also like to serve it with this easy braised beef and some mashed potatoes.
Note: This recipe was originally posted on Nov 15, 2016, we have updated it since.
The flavors of the garlic and coriander give this shredded carrot salad such a wonderful flavor. It's almost hard to believe its this healthy.
- 2 lb. shredded carrot
- 1 tsp salt
- 1/2 tsp black pepper
- 2 tbsp sugar
- 1 tsp ground coriander
- 1/2 tsp paprika
- 1/4 tsp cayenne
- 2 garlic cloves grated or pressed
- 4 tbsp vinegar
- 1/2 cup vegetable oil
- In a small prep bowl, combine salt, pepper, sugar, coriander, paprika, and cayenne.
- Shred the carrot using a mandolin. Place the shredded carrots into a large bowl and toss with the spices.
- Add the vinegar and mix to thoroughly coat.
- Heat the vegetable oil in a skillet until it's smoking hot. Pour it over the shredded carrots and toss it with the grated garlic.