Make this bright beet and walnut salad for special occasions. It’s a stunning addition to the table and healthy addition to meatless meals. It’s Keto and Whole30 approved too.
Serve this salad with my eggplant Napolean for a plant-based meal you’ll love.
A Healthy Salad with Fresh Beets
If you grow your own beets, you know that this lovely root is around pretty much all year long. Most Slavic people grow their own beets, hence their favorite soup is borsch (beets soup). This beet and walnut salad is a salad my grandmother always makes. She loves her garlic so she goes slightly overboard with it, but I took it down a notch and kept it to 1 clove of garlic per salad.
My favorite part about this salad is the walnuts. I personally love it when my salads have any kind of crunchiness to them, especially when it’s nuts. This salad pairs really well with pretty much any Russian or Ukrainian dinner. If you’re looking for something to pair this salad with, go ahead and give my rice stuffed chicken thighs recipe a try.
How To Make Beet and Walnut Salad
The best thing about this recipe is how simple it is. Allow the tart flavor of the beets to be the star of the salad.
The entire detailed salad recipe is at the bottom of the post. But here is a quick overview with a shopping list and some step by step pictures.
Ingredients for Beet and Walnut Salad
- walnuts, chopped
- small garlic clove, grated or pressed
1. Wash the beets and place them into a pot. Fill the pot with enough water to fully cover the beets and boil them.
2. Remove the beets and place them onto a place to cool completely.
3. Peel each beet using a peeler and cut off the root ends, then shred.
4. In a bowl, combine the shredded beets, chopped walnuts, grated garlic, mayonnaise, and salt.
Can I roast the beets in the oven instead of boiling them?
Boiling the beets is my favorite method. I really like how tender they turn out. But if you want, you definitely can roast the beets in the oven instead.
To roast beets, preheat the oven to 400 degrees F. Then, cover the skin with olive oil and wrap them in foil pouches. Roast them for about 60 minutes, checking on them after about 45 minutes.
What goes well with beet salad?
Beets taste slightly sweet with a natural tartness. This is a vibrant salad that everyone will love. You can serve this with light foods like chicken and pork. You can also serve it at cookouts with grilled vegetables.
Here are some of my favorite things to serve with beet salad:
Full Recipe Instructions
Russian Beet Salad
- 7 small beets
- 1/2 cup walnuts chopped
- 1 small garlic clove grated or pressed
- 1/4 cup mayonnaise
- 1/4 tsp salt
- Wash the beets and place them into a pot. Fill the pot with enough water to fully cover the beets. Boil for 30 Minutes.
- Remove the beets with tongs and place them onto a plate to cool completely.
- Peel each beet and cut off the root ends, then shred the meets using a box grater.
- In a bowl, combine the shredded beets, chopped walnuts, grated garlic, mayonnaise, and salt.
This recipe was originally posted on October 31, 2015, we’ve tweaked it a bit since then.
- Strawberry Feta Spinach Salad - May 27, 2023
- Breaded Chicken Skewers - May 24, 2023
- Mango Smoothie - May 22, 2023
Jirair Khatcheressian says
I had this delicious salad for the first time at a gathering of cousins – all Armenians – all over the age of sixty. I was told it was an Armenian salad. With disbelief I looked it up on the Internet. Lo and behold there it was. I can’t wait to make it. Jirair
That’s so neat! I’m not too sure where the salad originated fro but my Bulgarian grandmother makes it all the time. I’m glad you enjoyed the salad.
irina khoma says
I really like that you put something crunchy. Yummy 🙂
I love this easy salad! Don’t even have to use a recipe for it… One suggestion I have is to roast the beets in foil instead of boiling them, to keep more vitamins in. Wrap each beet in foil and bake at 375 until easily pierced. I think medium/larger ones took me an hour.
Thank you Nelya, that’s a great idea!