This juicy braised beef recipe is so tender and flavorful. The beef is browned in hot olive oil, then covered in spices, garlic, sauteed onion, and braised in red wine.
It goes perfectly with creamy mashed potatoes. It’s also a great main dish for a Christmas or New Years dinner. We also love serving mashed potatoes with Braised Beef Stew, Braised beef short ribs, and Prime Rib Roast.
This post has Amazon affiliate links for tools we used to make this recipe.
This recipe was originally posted on Dec 13, 2016, we’ve tweaked it a bit since then.
How to make braised beef
- Brown the beef chunks in a skillet filled with hot olive oil. Then remove from the pot and sauté chopped onion in the same skillet.
- In a dutch oven pot, add the browned beef chunks, sautéed onion, cumin, paprika, salt, pepper, and pressed garlic.
- Pour red wine and water into the pot, then cover with a lid and bring to a boil on your cooktop. Then place in the oven and cook for 1 and a half hours at 360 Fahrenheit.
Ingredients for braised beef:
- Beef chuck pot roast (boneless)
- olive oil
- black pepper
- garlic cloves
- red wine
What is Braised Beef
Braised beef is when this method of cooking is applied to a beef roast.
What is Braising
- Braising, also known as pot roasting, involves slowly cooking meat in a covered pot with some sort of liquid. Such as broth or wine. This process typically takes several hours.
Slow cooker braised beef
This braised beef in red wine can easily be modified to make in a slow cooker if you want to make it in advance and walk away.
- Once you’ve browned the beef chunks and sauteed the onion, place the beef, onion, garlic, and spices into your slow cooker.
- Then add the red wine and water, then cover and cook on high for 4 hours or low for 8 hours.
Instant pot braised beef
Just like slow cooker braised beef, this can be made in an instant pot as well if you’re in a hurry!
place the browned beef chunks, sauteed onion, spices, pressed garlic, water, and red wine into the instant pot and cook and pressure cook on high for 40 minutes.
What to serve with braised beef
- mashed potatoes
- pappardelle, which is a large wide pasta
- any other kind of pasta
- wild, brown, or white rice
- a simple green salad as a low carb option
Browned beef chunks braised to tender perfection. This is an easy yet super satisfying meal perfect for the winter months.
- Cut the beef into large chunks.
- Heat olive oil in a skillet over high heat. Brown the beef chunks. Then remove them and set aside.
- Cook the onions in the same skillet until they are fully cooked (or translucent).
- In a Dutch oven pot, begin layering the ingredients in the following order; 1/2 browned beef chunks, 1/2 tsp cumin, 1/2 tsp paprika, 1 tsp salt, 1/2 tsp black pepper, then half the sautéed onion and half the garlic (pressed).
- Repeat step 4 with the remaining beef chunks.
- Add the red wine and water to the meat and place the lid on top. Place the pot onto the cooktop and bring it to a boil. Place the pot into the oven for 1 1/2 -2 hours at 360 Fahrenheit. Cook until the meat is fully cooked through.