This juicy braised beef recipe is so tender and flavorful. It is made with minimal ingredients that are almost always found in your home. Sometimes the simplest recipes are the best.
What is Braising
- Braising, also known as pot roasting, involves slowly cooking meat in a covered pot with some sort of liquid. Such as broth or wine. This process typically takes several hours.
What is Braised Beef
Braised beef is when this method of cooking is applied to a beef roast.
This post has Amazon affiliate links for tools we used to make this recipe.
Ingredients for braised beef:
- Beef chuck pot roast (boneless)
- olive oil
- black pepper
- garlic cloves
- red wine
How to make braised beef
- Brown beef chunks in a skillet filled with hot olive oil. Remove from the pot and sauté chopped onion in the same skillet.
- In a dutch oven pot, add the browned beef chunks, sautéed onion, cumin, paprika, salt, pepper, and pressed garlic.
- Pour red wine and water into the pot, cover with a lid and bring to a boil on your cooktop. Then place in the oven and cook for 1 and a half hours at 360 Fahrenheit.
Browned beef chunks braised to tender perfection. This is an easy yet super satisfying meal perfect for the winter months.
- 3- 3 1/2 lb Beef chuck pot roast boneless
- 6 tbsp olive oil
- 1 tsp cumin divide
- 1 tsp paprika divide
- 2 tsp salt divide
- 1 tsp black pepper divide
- 1 large onion divided
- 2 garlic cloves divide
- 3/4 cup red wine
- 1/4 cup water
- Cut the beef into large chunks.
- Heat olive oil in a skillet over high heat. Brown the beef chunks. Then remove them and set aside.
- Cook the onions in the same skillet until they are fully cooked (or translucent).
- In a Dutch oven pot, begin layering the ingredients in the following order; 1/2 browned beef chunks, 1/2 tsp cumin, 1/2 tsp paprika, 1 tsp salt, 1/2 tsp black pepper, then half the sautéed onion and half the garlic (pressed).
- Repeat step 4 with the remaining beef chunks.
- Add the red wine and water to the meat and place the lid on top. Place the pot onto the cooktop and bring it to a boil. Place the pot into the oven for 1 1/2 -2 hours at 360 Fahrenheit. Cook until the meat is fully cooked through.