These braised beef short ribs are so tender, fall off the bone and melt in your mouth delicious! Braised beef is the ultimate comfort food on a chilly day.
This post may contain affiliate links. Read my disclosure policy here.
Braised beef short ribs
Ingredients for short ribs recipe
How to cook short ribs
- The best way to cook short ribs is by browning them in oil on high heat and finishing the short ribs in the oven low and slow. This cooking method is also known as braising.
Short ribs in the oven
- Start off by cooking the chopped bacon in a dutch oven pot until the bacon is crispy and remove it.
- Now place the beef short ribs into the pot and brown each side and reserve for later.
- Then saute the onion and minced garlic and add the braised beef back in.
- Now you can add in the baby carrots, spices, and dried mushrooms (fresh will work as well).
- I like to roughly stir the ingredients with a wooden spoon before adding the red wine and chicken broth.
- Now place the pop lid on top and place the braised beef in the oven for 2.5 hours at 340 degrees Fahrenheit.
- To thicken the sauce of the braised beef short ribs I like to mix a little cornstarch and water and pour it into the braised beef, then cook for another 30 mins at the same temperature.
What are short ribs
Short ribs are a cut of beef taken from the shoulder of cattle. The most common way to identify short ribs is by looking for a chunk of meat that has a little blade of bone sticking out. The best way to prepare short ribs is by braising them.
What is braising?
Braising is a cooking method commonly used in braised beef that involves browning meat in dry heat like oil, then cooking it in liquid over low heat and a longer period of time. You can even use this method with a slow cooker like my beef brisket sandwich, or beef stew.
Crockpot short ribs
- You can easily make crockpot short ribs using this recipe’s braising method. Simply brown the meat in a large skillet, then place all the ingredients including the braised beef in the crockpot. Cook on low for 6 to 8 hours or high for 3 to 5 hours.
What to serve with braised beef short ribs
- Any type of braised beef will pair well with pasta, mashed potatoes, or creamy polenta.
- For a low-carb alternative, pour the braised beef gravy over the meat along with a spinach pomegranate salad or some sort of sauteed vegetable like garlic asparagus.
Watch how to make braised beef short ribs
This braised beef short ribs recipe is fall off the bone, tender, and melt in your mouth delicious!
- 4 strips bacon chopped
- 4 lb beef short ribs
- 2 small onion
- 4 garlic cloves minced
- 1 1/2 cup baby carrots
- 2 cups dried mushrooms
- 1 1/2 tsp cumin
- 1 tsp paprika
- 2 tsp salt
- 1 tsp pepper
- 2 cups chicken broth
- 1 1/2 cup wine
- 2 tbsp cornstarch
In a Dutch oven pot, fry 4 strips of chopped bacon until crispy. Then remove.
Bring the heat to high and brown each piece of short ribs in the pot. Add extra grease as needed. Olive oil works great.
Once the meat is browned, remove and reserve for later.
Add the chopped onion and garlic to the dutch oven pot and sauté for about 3-5 mins.
Then add the braised beef back into the pot and add the baby carrots, dried mushrooms, cumin, paprika, salt, and pepper.
Stir it to combine and then add the red wine and chicken broth. Cover the pot with a lid and braise in the oven for 2 1/2 hours at 340 degrees Fahrenheit.
Now combine the cornstarch and water and pour it to it the braised beef. Stir it in with a spoon and cover and braise for another 30 minutes at 340 degrees Fahrenheit.