These braised beef short ribs are so tender, fall off the bone and melt in your mouth delicious! This slow-cooked beef is the ultimate comfort food on a chilly day.
Braised beef short ribs
Short ribs are a cut of beef taken from the shoulder of cattle. The most common way to identify short ribs is by looking for a chunk of meat that has a little blade of bone sticking out. The best way to prepare short ribs is by braising them and serving them with simple mashed potatoes and a side of garlic asparagus.
What is braising?
Braising is a cooking method commonly used in braised beef that involves browning meat in dry heat like oil, then cooking it in liquid over low heat and a longer period of time. You can even use this method with a slow cooker like my beef brisket sandwich, or beef stew.
Ingredients for short ribs recipe
This delicious comfort dish is surprisingly really easy to make and requires simple ingredients. Here is a quick breakdown of what you will need to make this recipe.
- Meat: short ribs with the bone intact. But you can always use a pot roasting meat like chuck cut up in large chunks. and of course, you need to use bacon for a smokey flavor.
- Vegetables: classic pot roast veggies do best here. I love using carrot, onion, garlic, and dried mushrooms. The mushrooms are optional though.
- Spices: salt, pepper, cumin, paprika make a marvelous combination!
- Liquid: all you need is some red wine, chicken broth (or beef), and some water. Then thicken it up with cornstarch.
How to make braised Short ribs
The best way to cook short ribs is by browning them in oil on high heat and finishing them in the oven low and slow. This cooking method is also known as braising.
- Cook bacon– Start off by cooking the chopped bacon in a dutch oven pot until the bacon is crispy and remove it.
- Brown the beef– Now place the beef short ribs into the pot and brown each side and reserve for later.
- Sautee onion and garlic– Once you have those sauteed, add the braised beef back in.
- Add in the veggies– Now you can add in the baby carrots, spices, and dried mushrooms (fresh will work as well).
- Add liquid and finish in oven– roughly stir the ingredients with a wooden spoon before adding the red wine and chicken broth. Then place the lid back on and cook in the oven as instructed in the recipe card below.
- Thicken it up-To thicken the sauce of the braised beef short ribs I like to mix a little cornstarch and water and pour it into the braised beef, then cook for another 30 mins at the same temperature.
How long does it take to braise short ribs?
After you have browned them in hot oil, let them simmer in the oven for about 2 1/2 hours at 340 degrees Fahrenheit.
Can you overcook them?
If you cook them on high heat they can dry out. If you cook short ribs on low heat for a long period of time, they will NOT overcook. Instead, they will become more tender.
Crockpot short ribs
- You can easily make crockpot short ribs using this recipe’s braising method. Simply brown the meat in a large skillet, then place all the ingredients including the braised beef in the crockpot. Cook on low for 6 to 8 hours or high for 3 to 5 hours.
What to serve with braised beef short ribs
- Any type of braised beef will pair well with pasta, mashed potatoes, or creamy polenta.
- For a low-carb alternative, pour the braised beef gravy over the meat along with a spinach pomegranate salad or some sort of sauteed vegetable like garlic asparagus.
Watch how to make this DELICIOUS recipe here:
Braised Beef Short Ribs
Cook the bacon and brown the short ribs
- In a Dutch oven pot, fry 4 strips of chopped bacon until crispy. Then remove.
- Bring the heat to high and brown each piece of short ribs in the pot. Add extra grease as needed. Olive oil works great.
- Once the meat is browned, remove and reserve for later.
Sautee onion and garlic
- Add the chopped onion and garlic to the dutch oven pot and sauté for about 3-5 mins.
Add in the browned beef and veggies
- Then add the braised beef back into the pot and add the baby carrots, dried mushrooms, cumin, paprika, salt, and pepper.
Add in the liquids and cook in the oven
- Stir it to combine and then add the red wine and chicken broth. Cover the pot with a lid and braise in the oven for 2 1/2 hours at 340 degrees Fahrenheit.
Thicken the gravy with cornstarch
- Now combine the cornstarch and water and pour it to it the braised beef. Stir it in with a spoon and cover and braise for another 30 minutes at 340 degrees Fahrenheit.
This recipe was originally posted on February 13, 2019. We have added some extra details to make it even better and easier to make for our readers.