This easy Mongolian Beef Recipe is simple, quick, and downright delicious. It’s a low-carb and low-calorie meal that you will want to make over and over again!
We love making this when we’re craving Asian takeout but tight on time. This easy Mongolian beef recipe is perfect for those busy weeknights.
This post has Amazon affiliate links for tools we used to make this recipe.
How to make Mongolian Beef
- Cook the minced garlic and ginger in a saucepan over medium-high heat for 1 minute. Then add the brown sugar, soy sauce, and water into the saucepan and cook over medium heat for 5 minutes.
- Place the thinly sliced beef into a large bowl and coat the beef in the cornstarch.
- Heat the cup vegetable oil in a wok and cook the beef in 2 batches. Once the beef is cooked remove it and set aside.
- In the same wok, cook the garlic and yellow onion. Then add the cooked beef and sauce, back in and cook for another 5 minutes.
- Add the sliced green onion to the beef and cook for about 2-3 minutes. Serve this Mongolian beef recipe warm over hot rice.
What ingredients are in Mongolian beef
Ingredients for the Mongolian beef sauce:
- vegetable oil
- brown sugar
- low sodium soy sauce
Ingredients for the Mongolian beef:
- flank or top sirloin beef
- yellow onion
- vegetable oil
- green onion
What is Mongolian beef
Mongolian beef is an Asian-American inspired dish consisting of thinly sliced beef and stir-fried vegetables (typically just white and green onion). It is usually dressed in a soy sauce based sauce and served with hot white rice.
Tips to make this easy Mongolian beef recipe
- A great way to get thinly sliced beef is by having the meat partially frozen when you cut it. That way it doesn’t slide around and you achieve super thin slices.
- In order to get nice and crispy pieces of cooked beef, don’t overcrowd the wok. Cook the beef in batches. Overcrowding will cause a lot of liquid to collect and result in mushy grey looking beef.
What kind of beef is used for Mongolian Beef?
Typically Mongolian beef is made with flank steak. I like a little more fat in my meat so I used top sirloin steak.
What to serve with Mongolian Beef?
We love to serve Mongolian beef with hot white rice along with fried bean threads. You can also serve it with some stir-fried vegetables. I usually buy frozen stirfry vegetable mix (sugar snap peas, broccoli, carrot, red bell pepper, ect).
How to Make Slow Cooker Mongolian Beef
slow cooker Mongolian beef is just like the stove-top version but less hassle and just as tasty.
- In a bowl combine the sliced beef and cornstarch, then add it to the slow cooker.
- Add the minced garlic, ginger, brown sugar, soy sauce, and water. Cook on high for 2-3 hours or on low for 4-5 hours.
- Then stir in the sliced green onion and serve.
An easy, quick, and delicious Mongolian beef recipe that you will want to make over and over again!
- Ingredients for the sauce:
- 1/4 cup vegetable oil
- 1 clove garlic minced
- 1 tbsp ginger minced
- 4-5 tbsp brown sugar
- 1 cup low sodium soy sauce
- 1/2 cup water
- Ingredients for the beef:
- 2 lb. beef
- 1/3 cup corn starch
- 1 large yellow onion
- 1/3 cup vegetable oil
- 1 cloves garlic minced
- 2 bunches green onion
Mince the garlic and ginger and cook it in a saucepan filled with vegetable oil. Cook it over medium-high heat for 1 minute.
Add the brown sugar, soy sauce, and water. Cook over medium heat for 5 minutes.
Thinly slice the beef into small pieces.
Coat the beef in the corn starch.
Heat 1/3 cup vegetable oil in a wok and cook the beef in 2 batches. Once cooked, remove the beef and set aside.
In the same wok, cook 1 clove minced garlic over medium heat for 1 minute. Then add the sliced yellow onion and cook until translucent.
Add the beef back into the wok and pour in the sauce. Cook for another 5 minutes.
Add the sliced green onion to the wok and stir for about 2-3 minutes. Serve warm over hot rice.
Note: This recipe was originally posted February 2016. We’ve updated it since.