Juicy teriyaki chicken, crunchy cabbage slaw, and a simple Chinese dressing make this the BEST Asian chicken Salad you will ever try!
Asian Chicken Salad
This Asian chicken salad is basically the best salad you’ll ever try. You know why? Because it’s loaded with juicy pan-seared chicken, a crunchy cabbage slaw, and a homemade sesame ginger dressing that takes this dish overboard.
If you enjoy a flavor-packed salad with a nice crunch, you will go crazy over our creamy radish salad.
What ingredients go into an Asian Chicken Salad?
- Chicken– You can use chicken thighs or chicken breast here. As long as they are thinly sliced.
- Marinade– Here is what you will need: ginger, garlic, green onion, soy sauce, honey, olive oil, rice vinegar, and sesame oil.
- Dressing– The dressing is pretty much the same as the marinade minus the green onion.
- Vegetables and toppings– This part is simple, you will need cabbage, carrots, scallions, and for toppings, you can add crispy wonton strips, sliced almonds, cashews, and fresh cilantro.
How to make Asian Chicken Salad
Chicken salad marinade
The key to a good chicken salad is how you marinate the chicken. Since this salad is Asian inspired its infused with soy sauce, garlic, and fresh ginger. For the full list, scroll down to the printable recipe card below.
Sesame ginger dressing
Another big factor that can either make or break a salad is the dressing! This is the star if the show. The dressing in this recipe is quite simple. All you need to do is whisk some garlic, ginger, green onion, soy sauce, olive oil, honey, sesame oil, and rice vinegar.
Assembling the salad
- Toss it all together– If you are planning on serving this to a crowd, combine the cooked chicken, dressing, veggies, and toppings in one huge bowl and serve immediately.
- Serve sauce on the side– If you’re planning on eating this throughout the week, combine everything but the sesame ginger dressing. Then when you want to enjoy the salad just drizzle a little bit on top of your desired amount of salad.
What goes good with Chinese chicken salad
- Fried spring rolls (VIDEO)
- Vegetable chow mein (VIDEO)
- Rice noodle stir fry (gluten-free)
- Fried rice
- Easy Mongolian beef
Asian Chicken Salad Recipe
For the Chicken
- 1 ½ lb chicken breast sliced
- 2 tbsp cornstarch
- 1/2 cabbage shredded
- 1/2 savoy cabbage shredded
- 1 small carrot thinly julienned
- 1 tbsp chopped cilantro
- 3 tbsp cashews
- 3 tbsp sliced almonds
- ¼ cup wonton strips
Marinate the chicken strips
- Cut the chicken breast into strips and place them in a bowl. Pour the marinade over the chicken and let it sit for at least 30 minutes or up to 2 hours.
Make the dressing
- Meanwhile, combine the dressing ingredients as followed: ginger, garlic, soy sauce, honey, olive oil, rice vinegar, sesame oil, and sesame seeds. The dressing and marinade are very similar except the dressing doesn't have green onion, but has more honey and a few sesame seeds.
Cook the chicken
- Once the chicken has marinated, remove it from the marinade and sprinkle the corn starch over it. Cook it for 3 minutes (or until golden brown) on each side on a greased skillet over high heat. After the chicken is fulled cooked and cooled down, cut into strips and set aside.
Combine all salad ingredients together
- In a large bowl, combine both shredded cabbages, carrot, cilantro, cashews, almonds, and wonton strips. Then add in the chicken and last pour the dressing over the salad.
How long will this salad last in the fridge?Keep the Chinese salad refrigerated for up to 3 days. After that, the dressing will soften the cabbage too much. Or you can keep the dressing separate and add it a little at a time. That way you can enjoy it for an entire week!