This Pepper Steak Recipe is easy to make and a great weeknight dinner. Full of savory meat and tasty vegetables, you’ll love this quick and satisfying meal.
Pepper Steak is a delicious mix of thinly-sliced and marinated sirloin and vegetables, like pepper, asparagus, and onion. The marinade adds tons of flavor to the meat and together, these ingredients create a delicious dish. It’s also an easy meal to make and you can even prepare some of it ahead of time for those busy weeknights.
Easy Beef Recipe
When school starts again, life gets busier, the days get shorter, and it can seem like there’s a lot less time in the day. Getting a wholesome meal on the table can become quite a challenge, which is why I’m teaming up with Washington State Beef Commission to bring you this weeknight lifesaver recipe! I’m using top sirloin steak here because it has a lean, yet tender cut that is perfect for stir fry. What you’ll love most about this recipe is its simplicity: marinating the meat only takes about thirty minutes! If you’re really short on time, try chopping the vegetables and preparing the sauce while the meat marinates. This dish is quick, healthy, and downright savory! It’s a winner in my family, and it is sure to be in yours, too!
If you ever set out to make a recipe with any kind of beef and aren’t too sure what cut of meat to use, be sure to check out the Interactive Butcher Counter. It’s a great guide to cooking beef properly.
What goes into this pepper steak recipe?
- Marinade ingredients- Top sirloin steak, Soy sauce, Garlic, Ginger, and Brown sugar
- Vegetables- Green, Red, and Yellow peppers, Onion, and Asparagus
- Sauce ingredients- Soy sauce, Garlic, Cornstarch, Chicken broth, Brown sugar, and Ginger
Best beef for pepper steak
The best beef to use when preparing Pepper Steak is Sirloin, Flank, or Round. In this Pepper Steak recipe, I like to use sirloin, but you can use whichever one you prefer.
How to make pepper steak
- Marinate the steak. Slice the steak into 2-inch slices and place them in a bowl. Combine the rest of the marinade ingredients in a small bowl and then pour it over the slices, making sure they’re fully submerged. Cover. Let them marinate for 30 minutes in the fridge.
- Make the sauce. In another bowl, combine ginger, garlic, brown sugar, low sodium soy sauce, and chicken broth. Take 1 Tbsp. of chicken broth and mix it with the cornstarch before adding it to the rest of the sauce ingredients.
- Cook the steak. Over high heat, heat some oil in a large wok and cook the steak in batches so that it has enough space to cook properly. Set aside the meat when it’s done and stir fry the garlic and onion in the same wok.
- Stir fry the vegetables. Then, add the peppers and asparagus and cook. Allow them to remain slightly crisp.
- Add in the steak and sauce. Pour the sauce and meat on top of the veggies in the wok and cook it all together for five minutes. Serve.
Slicing TIP: To get the super thin slices needed for this steak recipe, partially freeze the meat. Then, using a sharp knife, cut thin slices. Since the meat is frozen, it won’t slide around and it makes it easier to get really thin slices.
How to prepare it in advance
If you want to save yourself some time the night you are cooking this Pepper Steak recipe, marinate the meat beforehand. The night before, slice the steak and place it in a bowl. Prepare the marinade and pour it over the meat. Cover the bowl and place it in the refrigerator. Let it marinate overnight and then take it out when you are ready.
How long does it keep?
Pepper Steak can last for 3-4 days in the refrigerator. Just make sure that it is stored in an airtight container to keep it fresh. To reheat it, you can either place it in a microwave-safe dish and heat it in the microwave or put it back in the wok and reheat it on the stovetop.
Can I freeze pepper steak?
Yes. After you have prepared your pepper steak, let it cool completely before placing it in an airtight container or ziplock freezer bag. It can last in the freezer for 2-3 months.
If you are making pepper steak as a freezer meal, undercook the vegetables a little so that they do not turn to mush when defrosted and reheated. To reheat, just place the pepper steak in a wok and heat it over medium heat, stirring often.
What to serve with pepper steak
- Quinoa Fried Rice– classic fried rice with a healthy twist
- Vegetable Chow Mein– yakisoba noodles with veggies and a simple tasty sauce
- Wild Brown Rice– brown rice with shallots and carrots
Pepper Steak Recipe
Ingredients for the Marinade
- 1/2 cup soy sauce
- 2 garlic cloves minced
- 1 tbsp brown sugar
- 1/2 tsp fresh ginger minced
- 2 lb beef top sirloin steak
Ingredients for the Sauce
- 1/3 cup soy sauce
- 1 cup chicken broth + 1 tbsp
- 2 tbsp brown sugar
- 2 tbsp corn starch
- 2 garlic cloves minced
- 1/2 tsp ginger grated
- 2 red bell peppers
- 1 yellow bell pepper
- 1 green bell pepper
- 1 medium onion
- 1/2 bundle asparagus ends trimmed
Marinate the sliced beef
- Slice the beef into thin 2 inch slices.
- Combine 1/2 cup soy sauce 2 minced garlic cloves, 1 tbsp brown sugar, and 1/2 tsp fresh ginger in a small bowl. This will be the marinade.
- Place the sliced beef into a bowl and pour the marinade over the meat. Give it a quick stir to ensure that the beef is fully submerged in the marinade. Cover and let it sit for 30 minutes in the refrigerator.
Make the sauce
- In a separate bowl combine 1/3 cup soy sauce, 1 cup chicken broth, and 2 tbsp brown sugar, 2 minced garlic cloves, and 1/2 tsp grated ginger.
- Dissolve 1 tbsp chicken broth with 2 tbsp corn starch and whisk it into the rest of the sauce ingredients.
Cook the beef in batches
- Heat olive oil in a large wok to high heat and cook the marinated beef in two separate batches. Cooking in separate batches will help prevent the meat from overcrowding and improperly cooking.
- Once the beef is fully cooked, remove from the wok and set aside.
- In the same wok, stir fry the chopped onion and garlic.
Stir fry the vegetables
- Then stir fry the chopped bell peppers and asparagus. Don't over cook the vegetables. You want them to stay slightly crisp.
Add beef and sauce to veggies
- Add the beef back into the wok and pour the sauce over. Cook over medium heat for 5 minutes. Serve over hot rice.
How long does it keep?Pepper Steak can last for 3-4 days in the refrigerator. Just make sure that it is stored in an airtight container to keep it fresh. To reheat it, you can either place it in a microwave-safe dish and heat it in the microwave or put it back in the wok and reheat it on the stovetop.
This recipe was originally published on September 5, 2016, but we have tweaked it a bit since then.