This quinoa fried rice recipe is a healthier take on classic pork fried rice since it is made with the well-known gluten-free grain like quinoa.
Quinoa fried rice
This quinoa fried rice is loaded with sauteed vegetables, cubes of pan-seared ham, and fluffy flavorful quinoa. Its a simple and delicious meal that has so many nutrients! If you enjoy incorporating quinoa into your meals, you will definitely enjoy my quinoa chicken nuggets!
What ingredients go into quinoa fried rice
- Meat– I like to use pork, but you can use chicken, shrimp, beef, or tofu.
- Veggies– All you will need here is garlic, onion, carrots, celery, and broccoli. You can honestly add in whichever vegetables you like.
- Quinoa– There are different types of quinoa out there but they are all pretty much the same. I like to buy organic white quinoa for this recipe.
- Sauce– Keep it simple with a little low sodium soy sauce, olive oil, and sugar for extra flavor.
Is quinoa an alternative to rice?
Yes! quinoa is one of the BEST substitutes for rice since its similar in texture, cooks the same, and has a mild flavor. Due to their similarities, they can be substituted for many recipes.
How to make quinoa fried rice
- Cook the quinoa– Rinse the quinoa very well using a mesh sieve before placing it into the saucepan. generally for every 1 cup of quinoa you will need 1 1/3 cup water.
- Sautee the vegetables– Now that your veggies are diced up you can cook them in a skillet with hot olive oil as instructed in the printable recipe card below.
- Add broccoli and sauce– The broccoli is added at the end since it cooks quickly. Now add in the sugar and soy sauce as the “sauce”.
- Stir in quinoa– Lastly, you just need to add the cooked quinoa in and give it a good mix.
How long does it keep?
You can enjoy this delicious dish for up to 5-6 days as long as it is stored in an airtight container in the fridge.
Can I freeze it?
Yes, you can freeze it. Make sure the “fried rice” is fully cooled down, then add it to a freezer bag and lay it flat. Try to spread it as flat as possible for even freezing. Thaw at room temperature.
Best way to reheat quinoa fried rice
To reheat it, add a little olive oil to a skillet over medium-high heat and sautee the quinoa fried rice until warmed through. Of course, you can always microwave it, but it wnt taste as yummy.
Full Recipe Instructions
Quinoa Fried Rice Recipe
Chop vegetables and cook quinoa
- Dice the carrot, celery, onion, and ham.
- Cook quinoa according to package and set aside.
Sautee diced veggies
- Fill a pan with olive oil and bring the heat to medium high. Cook the ham for about 3 minutes.
- Add the onion and minced garlic and cook until the onion becomes translucent.
- Then stir in the diced carrot and celery and cook for another 4 minutes.
Add broccoli, sauce, and cooked quinoa
- Add in the broccoli, sugar, and soy sauce.
- Lastly, stir in the cooked quinoa. Cook for about 4 more minutes and remove from heat.
This recipe was originally posted on July 7, 2015, we’ve tweaked it a bit since then.