Learn how to make a crunchy shrimp tempura batter with these easy to follow steps in this shrimp tempura recipe.
Shrimp tempura is a great appetizer when making sushi or any other Asian themed food. Be sure to also try my recipe for shrimp tempura roll.
This recipe was originally posted on Apr 26, 2016, we’ve tweaked it a bit since then.
This post has Amazon affiliate links for tools that helped make this recipe.
What is Shrimp Tempura
Shrimp tempura is raw shrimp dipped into tempura batter and deep fried in hot oil. Tempura batter consists of flour, cold water, cornstarch, and sometimes eggs.
Ingredients for shrimp tempura:
large shrimp, peeled and deveined
tempura batter mix
vegetable oil, for frying
How to Make Shrimp Tempura:
- Make shallow slits into the inner part of each shrimp. I usually make 5 slits for each shrimp. Separating the shrimp like this will prevent it from curling during the frying process.
- Mix the dry tempura mix with ice cold water in a large bowl. Pat the shrimp dry and dip them into the batter.
- Fry the battered shrimp in the hot oil until golden brown.
What to Serve with Shrimp Tempura?
- Shrimp tempura is typically served with a tempura dipping sauce or as a side to any Asian meal.
- You can also add it to sushi. Shrimp tempura is the main ingredient in a shrimp tempura sushi roll.
Crispy fried shrimp tempura- the perfect appetizer to any seafood dinner.
- 1 lb. large shrimp peeled and deveined
- 1/2 10 oz package tempura batter mix
- Vegetable oil for frying
- Begin making small slits into the inner part of each shrimp. I make about 5 slits for each shrimp. This will help stop the shrimp from curling during frying.
- Mix the tempura batter mix with ice cold water according to the package.
- Heat vegetable oil in a skillet over high heat.
- Pat the shrimp dry and dip them into the tempura batter. Quickly place it into the hot oil and turn once. Cook each shrimp until golden in color. Remove from hot skillet and transfer to a plate lined with paper towels. Serve hot with low sodium soy sauce or tempura sauce.