This pineapple salmon is seasoned with a simple salmon rub, grilled to perfection, and topped with a combination of sauteed onion, pineapple, and cherry tomatoes. And the best part, its easy, quick, and healthy. For real, its paleo, gluten-free, and whole 30 approved.
I’m typically not a fan of pineapple in my savory dishes; nope not even Hawaiian pizza. But THIS pineapple salmon recipe is something else! Its one of my favorite ways to enjoy salmon. Especially since the pineapple gives this dish a nice sweet flavor that really compliments the grilled fish. It’s packed with a lot of nutrients and healthy fats, which makes it a very healthy dish.
For this recipe, I used the rub with love salmon rub, but that’s made here in Seattle. However, if you don’t live in the Seattle area, a great substitute to this locally made salmon rub would be the McCormick sweet citrus and spice salmon rub. I always serve this salmon with my brown and wild rice recipe, but you can always serve it with plain brown rice instead.
This post may contain affiliate links. Read my disclosure policy here.
How to make Pineapple Salmon
- Drizzle each salmon fillet with olive oil and rub with pressed garlic, salt, and salmon rub.
- Grill the salmon at on medium-high heat until fully cooked.
- Sautee the onion, pineapple, cherubs, salt, and pepper, in a skillet with olive oil over medium heat. Then serve the sauteed mixture over the grilled salmon.
Ingredients for grilled salmon:
- salmon fillets
- olive oil
- Salmon Rub
For the pineapple topping:
- olive oil
- white onion
- fresh pineapple
- cherry tomatoes, I like to use cherubs
- salt & pepper
How long to grill salmon on grill
- Salmon grill time varies depending on the thickness of the salmon fillets. Generally, for every 1 inch of fish, you would grill for about 7-8 minutes total. So using a fish flipper, flip the fish at about 4 minutes. Temperature also determines the time to grill the salmon. Medium-high is the best temp for grilled salmon.
Love salmon? Give these salmon recipes a try!
Ingredients for the salmon:
- 4 7 oz Atlantic salmon fillets
- olive oil for drizzling over fish
- 3 garlic cloves zested or pressed
- Salmon rub
- Salt to taste
- Pat each salmon fillet with a paper towel then drizzle both sides of the fillet with olive oil.
- Divide the zested garlic into 4 equal parts for the 4 fillets. Spread each part over the entire fillet (top and bottom).
- Season with salt and rub and grill for about 3-4 minutes on each side.
- Chop the pineapple and onions, then slice each cherry tomato into halves.
- Heat 2 tbsp of olive oil in a skillet over medium heat. Then add in the chopped onion and cook until it becomes translucent.
- Add in the chopped pineapples, sliced cherry tomatoes, salt, and black pepper. Then cook for about 5 minutes. You don't want to overcook it so it wont become mushy.
- Serve the salmon over brown rice and generously top with the sautéed pineapple mixture.
This recipe was originally published on May 7, 2015 it has been updated since.