This Pineapple Salmon is seasoned with a simple salmon rub, grilled to perfection, and topped with a combination of sauteed onion, pineapple, and cherry tomatoes. And the best part is it’s easy and healthy – for real, it’s paleo, gluten-free, and Whole30 approved.
Also, try our grilled cedar plank salmon and cilantro lime salmon for the perfect summer grilled fish.
Table Of Contents
I’m typically not a fan of pineapple in my savory dishes – nope, not even Hawaiian pizza. But THIS Pineapple Salmon recipe is something else! Its one of my favorite ways to enjoy salmon.
- TASTE: The pineapple and cherry tomatoes give this dish a nice sweet flavor that really complements the grilled fish.
- TEXTURE: This dish has tender, flaky salmon and a juicy pineapple topping.
- TIME: It takes just 30 minutes to make this recipe.
- EASE: This Pineapple Salmon is quick and easy. You’ll love how simply it comes together for a no-fuss dinner.
- Salmon filets– Fresh or previously frozen salmon filets that have been thawed can be used.
- Olive oil– This is for coating the salmon so the rub will adhere to it.
- Garlic– For a delicious pungent flavor.
- Salmon Rub– You can use the one I did or use another store-bought or homemade rub.
- Fresh pineapple– You can also use canned pineapple slices that are chopped if you haven’t got fresh.
- Cherry tomatoes- I like to use Cherubs.
Add-ins and Substitutions
- Use a different rub- I used the Rub with Love salmon rub, but that’s made here in Seattle. But a great substitute to this locally made salmon rub would be the McCormick sweet citrus and spice salmon rub.
- Add some spice- Make it a sweet and spicy combination by adding sweet chili sauce to the Pineapple Salmon.
- Make it even sweeter- Drizzle some honey on the salmon or add brown sugar. This will caramelize into a deliciously sweet glaze.
- Add some umami notes- You can add umami flavor with the addition of teriyaki sauce, ginger, soy sauce, or sesame oil to the salmon.
How to Make Pineapple Salmon
- Prepare the salmon. Drizzle each salmon fillet with olive oil and rub with pressed garlic, salt, and salmon rub.
- Grill it. Grill the salmon over medium-high heat until fully cooked.
- Make the pineapple salsa. Saute the onion, pineapple, cherry tomatoes, salt, and pepper in a skillet with olive oil over medium heat. Then serve the sauteed mixture over the grilled salmon.
Pro Tip: Only cook the pineapple and tomatoes for about 5 minutes. You don’t want to overcook them or they’ll get mushy.
- Preheat your grill- Make sure your grill is between 450-500 degrees Fahrenheit before you add the salmon to it. This way, you get a nice char on the outside.
- Cover both sides with rub- Fully cover both sides of the salmon filets with the oil, garlic, and rub so there is wonderful flavor throughout.
- Cook the onions first- When making the topping, add the onions to the pan first because they need longer to soften and release a sweet flavor.
- Don’t overcook the pineapple and tomatoes- These can get mushy when over heat for too long so try to only cook them for about 5 minutes.
Salmon is very versatile, so it goes well with lots of other flavors. Sweet, salty, citrusy, and pungent flavors can be found in this Pineapple Salmon dish. It also goes well with creamy sauces.
Grilling is a great way to cook salmon. Grill times vary depending on the thickness of the salmon filets, but generally, for every 1 inch of fish, you would grill for about 7-8 minutes total. So using a fish flipper, flip the fish at about 4 minutes. Medium-high is the best temp for grilled salmon.
This Pineapple Salmon is a really versatile dish that you can serve with lots of side dishes and salads. Enjoy it with all your favorites or try it with some of ours.
- Rice: This Pineapple Salmon is delicious with some Wild Rice, white rice, Wild Brown Rice, or Hibachi Fried Rice.
- Potatoes: Serve this dish with some Super Creamy Mashed Potatoes, Scalloped Potatoes, Air Fryer Baked Potatoes, or Crispy Air Fryer Baby Potatoes.
- Vegetables: Pair this salmon with some Sauteed Garlic Asparagus, Air Fryer Brussels Sprouts, Crispy Air Fryer Broccoli, or Air Fryer Green Beans.
- Salad: Enjoy this dish with a Spinach Salad, Cucumber Tomato Feta Salad, Cucumber Radish Salad, or Avocado Corn Salad.
Make This Recipe in Advance
Make ahead: You can prepare the pineapple topping ahead of time and store it in the refrigerator in an airtight container. Then just reheat it before adding it to the freshly grilled salmon and serve.
Storing: Store any leftovers of this Pineapple Salmon in an airtight container in the refrigerator for up to 4 days. You can reheat it on the grill, in the microwave, or on the stovetop.
Freeze: If the salmon was previously frozen, then it cannot be frozen again. It’s best to make the pineapple topping fresh because the tomatoes become mushy when thawed.
More Delicious Salmon Dishes!
Full Recipe Instructions
Ingredients for the salmon:
- 4 7 oz salmon fillets
- 1 Tbsp olive oil
- 3 garlic cloves zested or pressed
- Salmon rub
- Salt to taste
For the pineapple topping:
- 2 Tbsp olive oil
- 1 1/2 cup onion chopped
- 2 cups pineapple chopped
- 1 cup cherry tomatoes sliced
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/4 tsp black pepper
- Preheat your grill to high heat (between 450-500 degrees F).
- Pat each salmon fillet with a paper towel then drizzle both sides of the fillet with olive oil.
- Divide the pressed garlic into 4 equal parts for the 4 fillets. Spread each part over the entire fillet (top and bottom).
- Season the fish with salt and salmon rub on both sides and grill for about 3-4 minutes on each side.
- Chop the pineapple and onions, then slice each cherry tomato into halves.
- Heat 2 Tbsp of olive oil in a skillet over medium heat. Then add in the chopped onion and cook until it becomes translucent.
- Add in the chopped pineapples, sliced cherry tomatoes, salt, and black pepper. Then cook for about 5 minutes. You don't want to overcook it so it won't become mushy.
- Serve the salmon over wild brown rice and generously top with the sautéed pineapple mixture.
This recipe was originally published on May 7, 2015, it has been updated since.
- Smoked Salmon Salad - May 31, 2023
- Garlic Aioli - May 30, 2023
- Strawberry Feta Spinach Salad - May 27, 2023
I love recipes with few ingredients. Thank you Dina
You’re welcome Lena! Enjoy 🙂
I’ve just cooked this recipe and become very delicious! Thank You!
This looks delicious. I love salmon, this gives me another reason to buy it. lol
Anna, I believe you’ve tried this recipe before. We had it at my parent’s house way back when you guys came down for our wedding 🙂