This pineapple salmon is seasoned with a simple salmon rub, grilled to perfection, and topped with a combination of sauteed onion, pineapple, and cherry tomatoes. And the best part, its easy, quick, and healthy. For real, its paleo, gluten-free, and whole 30 approved.
I’m typically not a fan of pineapple in my savory dishes; nope not even Hawaiian pizza. But THIS pineapple salmon recipe is something else! Its one of my favorite ways to enjoy salmon. Especially since the pineapple gives this dish a nice sweet flavor that really compliments the grilled fish. It’s packed with a lot of nutrients and healthy fats, which makes it a very healthy dish.
For this recipe, I used the rub with love salmon rub, but that’s made here in Seattle. However, if you don’t live in the Seattle area, a great substitute to this locally made salmon rub would be the McCormick sweet citrus and spice salmon rub. I always serve this salmon with my brown and wild rice recipe, but you can always serve it with plain brown rice instead.
How to make Pineapple Salmon
- Drizzle each salmon fillet with olive oil and rub with pressed garlic, salt, and salmon rub.
- Grill the salmon on medium-high heat until fully cooked.
- Sautee the onion, pineapple, cherubs, salt, and pepper, in a skillet with olive oil over medium heat. Then serve the sauteed mixture over the grilled salmon.
Ingredients for grilled salmon:
- salmon fillets
- olive oil
- Salmon Rub
For the pineapple topping:
- olive oil
- white onion
- fresh pineapple
- cherry tomatoes, I like to use cherubs
- salt & pepper
How long to grill salmon on a grill
- Salmon grill time varies depending on the thickness of the salmon fillets. Generally, for every 1 inch of fish, you would grill for about 7-8 minutes total. So using a fish flipper, flip the fish at about 4 minutes. Temperature also determines the time to grill the salmon. Medium-high is the best temp for grilled salmon.
Love salmon? Give these salmon recipes a try!
Ingredients for the salmon:
- 4 7 oz Atlantic salmon fillets
- olive oil for drizzling over fish
- 3 garlic cloves zested or pressed
- Salmon rub
- Salt to taste
- Pat each salmon fillet with a paper towel then drizzle both sides of the fillet with olive oil.
- Divide the zested garlic into 4 equal parts for the 4 fillets. Spread each part over the entire fillet (top and bottom).
- Season with salt and rub and grill for about 3-4 minutes on each side.
- Chop the pineapple and onions, then slice each cherry tomato into halves.
- Heat 2 tbsp of olive oil in a skillet over medium heat. Then add in the chopped onion and cook until it becomes translucent.
- Add in the chopped pineapples, sliced cherry tomatoes, salt, and black pepper. Then cook for about 5 minutes. You don't want to overcook it so it wont become mushy.
- Serve the salmon over brown rice and generously top with the sautéed pineapple mixture.
This recipe was originally published on May 7, 2015, it has been updated since.