Crunchy cucumbers and crisp bell peppers make this cucumber tomato feta salad a delicious side this for just about any meal.
Cucumber tomato feta salad
Just like my garlic tomato salad, this cucumber version is loaded with crisp and crunchy vegetables that will leave you satisfied after each bite. The flavors are so simple yet vibrant and delicious!
Since most of the ingredients in this cucumber salad are best enjoyed during the summer months, you might as well grill up some chicken skewers and cedar plank salmon with it for the ultimate summer meal!
What ingredients go into this salad?
- The vegetables– along with ripe tomatoes, you will need all the veggies that have a good crunch like bell peppers, cucumbers, and red onion.
- The dressing and salad toppers– I like to keep it real simple here with an olive oil dressing that is flavored with salt, pepper, and crumbled feta cheese.
How to make the best cucumber tomato salad
- Chop up the veggies– I like to go for julienned slices here. but you can honesty chop them to whichever bite size you like.
- Mix it in the bowl– Make sure to mix everything but the tomatoes. The tomatoes should be mixed last since they give off juices that can make you salad have too much liquid.
- Dress it up– Now that the tomatoes are mixed in, drizzle it with a little bit of olive oil and season it with salt and pepper to taste. And the of course top it with finely crumbled feta cheese.
How to prevent tomato juices from collecting at the bottom of my salad?
You can avoid the extra moisture in two ways.
- Take out the tomato seeds– So when you slice your tomato in half, scoop out the seeds and leave them out of the salad entirely.
- Add the tomatoes at the end– Or you can just add them in as the last ingredient. The less you mix them around the fewer juices they will give off.
Can I make this cucumber tomato salad ahead of time?
Yes, I would chop all the vegetables except the tomatoes and place them into your serving bowl. Then just keep the salad in the fridge (covered). Whenever you’re ready to serve it, slice the tomatoes up and mix them in along with the dressing ingredients.
What can I substitute for feta cheese?
Some great substitute for feta cheese that would taste great in this salad would be queso fresco and mozzarella cheese. Farmer’s cheese and goat cheese work well too.
What to serve with a cucumber tomato salad?
- grilled pork kabobs (shashlik)
- Grilled chicken kabobs
- Baked lemon chicken (paleo)
- braised beef
- Pesto salmon (VIDEO)
- Khachapuri (Georgian cheese bread)
Cucumber Tomato Feta Salad
- Chop the tomatoes, cucumber, bell peppers, and red onion.
- Stir the vegetables in a large bowl, then add in the salt, olive oil, and feta. You don't want to mix it around too much. Over mixing will make cause the tomatoes to give out too many juices.
This recipe was originally posted on May 14, 2015, we’ve tweaked it a bit since then.