Anyone who enjoys eating fish is sure to fall in love with this simple Pan Fried Cod recipe. It’s a balanced combination of sautéed vegetables, browned cod fillets, and fresh garlic.
If you love fish, then you have to try this Cedar Plank Salmon and these Fish Tacos.
Table Of Contents
My mother used to make something similar to this Pan Fried Cod when I was a child and I love it. Whether you consider this dish to be light or comfort food, it’ll definitely leave you pleased and coming back for more!
- TASTE: Crisp and seasoned cod fillets are cooked with various sauteed veggies in a wine and tomato flavored sauce. There’s just a hint of heat.
- TEXTURE: This dish is made with tender cod and vegetables in a white wine sauce. It’s absolutely delicious.
- TIME: This recipe takes an hour.
- EASE: This dish is really easy to make. With just a handful of steps and simple ingredients, it’s perfect for an easy weeknight dinner.
What You’ll Need
- Cod fillets- Skinless deboned cod fillets are what you’ll need. Always check for pinbones to make sure there are none left in there.
- Flour- This will be used for dredging the cod.
- Olive oil- We’ll use just enough to cover the bottom of the pan.
- Vegetables- Garlic cloves, Onion, Red bell pepper, Yellow bell pepper, and Carrots will be used for our combination of sauteed vegetables.
- White wine– This adds a delicious tangy flavor to the cod. It’s cooked until the alcohol burns off and only the flavor remains.
- Diced tomatoes– These are sauteed with the vegetables and create a chunky sauce.
- Seasonings- Red pepper flakes, Salt, and Black pepper are added to the cod and vegetables to taste.
Add-ins and Substitutions
- Add Parmesan and breadcrumbs- You can also make this with breadcrumbs and Parmesan cheese with the flour dredge for a crispier, more flavorful fillet. And use butter in place of oil.
- Substitute other types of fish- Make this recipe with other fish, such as sea bass, tilapia, or halibut.
- Add different vegetables- Try these sauteed vegetables with brussels sprouts, asparagus, mushrooms, or spinach.
- Skip the wine- If you prefer to not use wine, you can substitute broth instead.
How to Make Pan Fried Cod with Sauteed Vegetables
- Dredge the cod. Season the cod fillets with salt and pepper and then dredge both sides of the fillets in flour.
- Brown the fillets. Fill a skillet with enough olive oil to cover the bottom of the pan and bring it to medium high heat. Then brown each fillet until almost completely done. Set aside.
- Saute the vegetables. In the same skillet, cook the garlic and chopped onion until translucent. Then add the chopped bell peppers and carrots and sauté until tender.
- Add the wine. Add the white wine and cook over high heat for about 1 minute.
- Add the seasoning and tomatoes. Pour the diced tomatoes, chili flakes, salt, and pepper (to taste) over the sautéed vegetables. Cook covered over medium low heat for about 15 minutes.
- Cook the pan fried cod with the vegetables. Place the browned cod fillets back into the skillet and stir the vegetables over the fish. Cook covered over medium low heat for another 15 minutes. Garnish with fresh parsley.
Pro Tip: Make sure you let the wine cook for about a minute. This gives the alcohol time to cook out.
- Dredge the cod well- In order to get the crisp outer layer on this cod, it has to have enough flour. Dredge the entire fillet thoroughly to get it.
- Make sure you use enough oil- You don’t want your fish to stick to the bottom of the pan so make sure the entire bottom is covered with oil.
- Cook the onion and garlic first- Doing this releases the pungent and aromatic flavors of these two.
- Cook the fish and veggies covered- This adds steam that will tenderize the vegetables and let the flavors marry with the fish.
If your cod seems tough, it has probably been overcooked and become dry. As this happens, the fish firms and shrinks, and moisture is pushed out so the cod becomes dry and chewy.
The trick to your cod not falling apart is oil and heat. Cooking the cod in hot oil forms a crust that holds the fish together while it cooks.
This Pan Fried Cod with Sauteed Vegetables is delicious with so many sides. Serve it with soups, salad, vegetables, or grains.
- Grains: Serve this dish with white rice, brown rice, or quinoa, or try it with this Wild Rice, Hibachi Fried Rice, or Quinoa Fried Rice.
- Salad: Pair this pan fried cod with a Cucumber Tomato Feta Salad, Spinach Pomegranate Salad, Antipasto Salad, or Cabbage Cucumber Salad.
- Soup: Serve it with a bowl of Baked Potato Soup, Broccoli Cheddar Soup, Chicken Wild Rice Soup, or Tortellini Soup.
- Sides: Serve this Pan Fried Cod with Sauteed Vegetables alongside some Scalloped Potatoes, Air Fryer Baked Potatoes, Crispy Air Fryer Baby Potatoes, or Roasted Acorn Squash.
Make This Recipe in Advance
Make ahead: You can prep the fish ahead of time and then make the vegetables when you are ready to eat. Or you can prepare the dish and store it in the fridge until serving time.
Storing: Store any leftovers of this Pan Fried Cod with Sauteed Vegetables in an airtight container in the refrigerator for up to 4 days. Reheat it on the stovetop or in the microwave until just warmed through.
Freeze: You can freeze this if the cod was fresh, but if it was previously frozen then you should not as this breeds bacteria. Store it in a freezer safe container for up to 3 months.
More Tasty Seafood Dishes!
Full Recipe Instructions
Pan Fried Cod
- 2 lb cod fillets
- Salt & pepper to taste
- 3/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 4 Tbsp Olive oil
- 2 garlic cloves minced
- 1 medium onion chopped
- 1 red bell pepper sliced
- 1 yellow bell pepper sliced
- 2 large carrots sliced
- 1/2 cup white wine
- 28 oz diced tomatoes
- 1/2 tsp chili flakes
- Salt & pepper to taste
- Season the cod fillets with salt and pepper. Then dredge both sides of the fillets in flour.
- Fill a skillet with 4 Tbsp olive oil or enough to cover the bottom of the pan. Bring the oil to medium-high heat.
- Brown each fillet until almost completely done. Then set aside.
- In the same skillet, cook the minced garlic and chopped onion until translucent.
- Add the chopped bell peppers and carrots and sauté until tender.
- Add the white wine and cook over high heat for about 1 minute to let the alcohol cook out.
- Pour the diced tomatoes, chili flakes, salt, and pepper (to taste) over the sautéed vegetables. Cook covered over medium-low heat for about 10 minutes.
- Place the browned cod fillets back into the skillet and stir the vegetables over the fish. Cook covered over medium-low heat for another 15 minutes. Garnish with fresh parsley.
- Strawberry Feta Spinach Salad - May 27, 2023
- Breaded Chicken Skewers - May 24, 2023
- Mango Smoothie - May 22, 2023
Can I use tilapia instead if cod? Thanks
Hi Jessica, yes you can! 🙂
Jay Stephens says
This was so tasty and easy to make. It goes well with garlic seasoned quinoa or brown rice. Thank you!
Thank you so much for taking the time to write such a kind recipe review, Jay. I really appreciate it! I am so happy you enjoyed this cod recipe 🙂
Really good I would recommend for everyone
Thank you, Landon!