Make my Easy Potato Soup with Bacon as a delicious and warming meal for any cold day. This easy to follow recipe is ready from start to finish in under one hour making it a perfect weeknight meal.
If your family enjoys a good potato soup, you may want to check out our Creamy Potato Soup with Leeks as well.
Easy Potato Soup with Bacon
The weather here has been unbearably cold this year. After running errands outside, all I could think about was this easy potato soup. It’s based on bacon fat and butter, which means tons of flavor!
The creaminess of this soup comes from the milk, sour cream, and sharp cheddar. If you plan on making this soup, do not use pre-shredded cheese. Pre-shredded cheese will not melt as well as cheese that you shred yourself. I also think it tastes a whole lot better when the cheese is freshly grated.
Ingredients for Easy Potato Soup with Bacon
For a complete ingredient list with measurements see the printable recipe below.
- Chicken Broth
- Green Onions
- Sharp Cheddar Cheese
- Sour Cream
How to Make My Easy Potato Soup Recipe
Begin by cooking your diced bacon in a large stockpot. You will remove the bacon and set aside to drain for use later as a garnish. Add in your onion and cook until translucent. Follow directions in the recipe for creating a roux prior to adding in the potatoes to cook until tender. Before serving, taste and season with additional salt and pepper if needed. Mix in sour cream and top with your favorite garnish of shredded cheddar, crumbled bacon, and green onion slices.
More Delicious Soup Recipes
Soup is such a wonderful meal option, especially in the cooler months. Below, I am sharing more of my favorite recipes for soups just as delicious as this easy potato soup recipe. Check out the links below for more delicious meal ideas.
- Chicken Meatball Soup
- Chicken Noodle Soup from Scratch
- Clam Chowder Soup
- Best Mushroom Soup Recipe
- French Onion Soup with Cheese Topping
Easy Potato Soup with Bacon Recipe
- Cook the chopped bacon in a large pot over medium high heat. Remove and set aside.
- In the same pot, sauté 1 chopped onion with the butter until it becomes translucent.
- Add the flour and brown for 3 minutes.
- Stir in the chicken broth and milk. Bring to a boil.
- Add the chopped potatoes and cook over medium heat until the potatoes are fully cooked.
- Season with salt. Then add the chopped green onion.
- Remove the pot from heat and stir in the sour cream and cheese.
- Lastly, season with black pepper and garnish with the cooked bacon bits.
This recipe was originally posted on January 17, 2017, we’ve tweaked it a bit since then.