Chicken Pesto Pizza combines all of your favorite flavors into a convenient, easy to eat pizza recipe that is elegant and delicious, while still being your favorite comfort food.
Serve up our Tomato Salad Recipe with this pizza for a kick of bright flavor on the side!
Table Of Contents
Chicken Pesto Pizza
This is a great upscale pizza to serve friends at gatherings or just enjoy with your family. It still satisfies your desire for cheesy goodness, but packs a more sophisticated flavor than traditional pepperoni. I love the way white sauce pizza tastes, and this is one of my favorites. Here’s why:
Flavor- The pesto is fresh and herbaceous. And the grilled chicken breast adds so much extra meatiness and flavor. You won’t want it any other way.
Texture- The homemade pizza dough adds the perfect amount of chew to make a really delicious, thin (but not too thin) crust pizza.
Ease- Summer is grilling season and you can easily cook up some smoky chicken in no time. And if you’re not grilling, you can still enjoy this pizza with chicken cooked on a skillet.
If you can’t get enough pizza…
Who doesn’t love pizza? If you want to try a few variations to serve to friends and family, check out these tasty pizzas and flatbreads:
Ingredients for Chicken Pesto Pizza
- Chicken Breast– boneless and skinless
- Garlic clove
- Spices- Salt and Pepper
- Pesto sauce– store-bought or homemade
- Ranch Dressing
- Cheese- Mozzarella
- Homemade Pizza Dough
How to Make Chicken Pesto Pizza
This is just a quick breakdown of the instructions, scroll down for full recipe!
- Make the pizza dough. Begin by making my homemade pizza dough recipe.
- Season and cook the chicken. Season the chicken breast with salt and pepper, then rub the grated garlic on both sides of the chicken. Grill on medium-high heat until fully cooked.
- Rest and cut the chicken. Remove the chicken from the grill and let it rest on a plate covered with foil. Once it’s cooled, cut it into small pieces.
- Pre-bake the pizza- Grease a baking sheet and spread the pizza dough out into a 15×12 inch oval. Bake at 425 degrees Fahrenheit for 5 minutes, then remove from the oven.
- Add the sauces. Spread the pesto evenly onto the pizza dough, then the ranch on top.
- Add the chicken and bake. Add the shredded mozzarella and grilled chicken on top of the sauce and bake at 350 degrees Fahrenheit for 15-20 minutes.
Why do I need to let the chicken rest?
Letting the chicken rest after it’s been grilled will allow it to reabsorb those flavorful juices. Otherwise, it will leak out when you slice it. Your chicken will be moist and juicy, making this Chicken Pesto Pizza even better.
Can I use store-bought pizza dough?
Yes, you can use a store-bought crust instead of homemade for this Chicken Pesto Pizza. But homemade pizza dough isn’t hard at all and it tastes so much better than what’s sold in the stores. Give this recipe a try and you’ll be amazed by how easy it is and how much more delicious your pizza turns out.
How to Store and Reheat Chicken Pesto Pizza
The best way to store leftover pizza is by stacking it in an airtight container or ziplock bag, with parchment paper or foil between layers. You can keep it in the refrigerator for up to 4 days, or freeze it for 3-4 months. To reheat a slice, you can warm it in the oven, in a pan on the stove, or microwave it (though this takes away the crispness of the crust).
More Easy Italian Inspired Recipes!
I love the bright flavors in Italian cooking. That means I have several recipes that feature pasta, garlic, basil, tomatoes, and more. Check the links below for more Italian inspired dishes that your family will enjoy.
- Margherita Pizza Recipe
- Italian Chopped Antipasto Salad
- Creamy Mushroom and Spinach Gnocchi
- Potato Gnocchi Recipe with Parmesan Sauce
- Easy Chicken Marsala Recipe
Or try this recipe with a homemade cauliflower pizza crust!
Full Recipe Instructions
Chicken Pesto Pizza
- Season the chicken breast with salt and pepper. Rub the grated garlic on both sides of the chicken and grill on medium-high heat until fully cooked.
- Remove the chicken from the grill and let it rest on a plate covered with foil. Don't skip this step. Letting the chicken rest will allow it to reabsorb those flavorful juices back into the chicken. Once it's cooled, cut it into small pieces.
- Grease a standard baking sheet with olive oil and spread the pizza dough out to a 15×12 inch oval.
- Bake 425 degrees Fahrenheit for 5 minutes. Remove from oven.
- Spread 1/2 cup pesto evenly onto the pizza dough then spread 1/2 cup ranch on top.
- Add the grilled chicken and extra shredded mozzarella on top of the sauce and bake at 350 degrees Fahrenheit for 15-20 minutes.
This recipe was originally posted on August 31, 2016, we’ve tweaked it a bit since then.