Easy chicken marsala just got better with a creamy twist. More sauce can only mean more flavor. This recipe is quick, easy and downright delicious!
Easy Chicken Marsala?
Chicken Marsala is an elegant Italian recipe consisting of browned chicken, sauteed mushrooms, and rich marsala wine-based sauce that can often be served creamy with the addition of cream.
Ingredients for chicken marsala
- Chicken: For the meat portion of this recipe, I always go for chicken tenders since their juicy and easier to work with. But you can always just use chicken cutlets too.
- Dredging: You want to coat the chicken in flour and spices to bring out flavor when you brown it in the skillet.
- Vegetables: The only vegetables that would go in this easy chicken marsala is onion and baby bells mushrooms.
- Chicken marsala sauce: The sauce is what truly makes or breaks this recipe. All you need here is a good quality dry marsala wine, chicken broth, and cream (which is optional).
What is the best marsala wine for chicken marsala
The Marsala wine is what gives this dish most of its flavor. Make sure to use imported Marsala wine. If it’s made in the United States, it’s not the real stuff. This wine is made from grapes that are not grown in the United States, therefore you want to get the imported wine.
How to make chicken marsala
- You’ll want to combine the flour along with all the spices in a shallow dish as instructed in the recipe card below. Then dredge the chicken in this mixture.
- Next, melt the butter and olive oil in a pan a brown the chicken over medium-high heat. Then remove the chicken and set it aside
- Now, in the same pan, cook the garlic, onion, and sliced mushrooms. Then add in the wine and chicken broth. Let the wine cookout for a few minutes before adding in the cream and chicken back in.
How do you make a thick marsala sauce
In order to thicken any sauce, you can add some cream to it or you can add cornstarch instead. If you use cornstarch, be sure to dissolve 1 teaspoon of cornstarch with 1 tsp of the simmered liquid for each cup of sauce.
What to serve with Chicken Marsala?
This easy chicken recipe can be served with garlic mashed potatoes, any kind of pasta, or even on its own with a generous serving of the amazing marsala sauce.
More Italian Inspired chicken recipes for you to try!
- Chicken Piccata
- Creamy chicken mushroom pasta
- Chicken gnocchi soup – Olive Garden copycat
- Chicken scampi pasta- Olive Garden inspired
This recipe was originally published on August 31st, 2018. We have tweaked it a bit since then
Easy Chicken Marsala Recipe
- Combine the flour, salt, black pepper, and dried oregano in a shallow dish and set aside.
- Dredge both sides of each chicken tender in the flour mixture.
- Melt the butter and olive oil in a skillet over high heat and place the floured chicken inside.
- Cook the chicken tenders for 3-4 minutes on each side. Once all the chicken is cooked, remove from the skillet and set aside.
- In the same skillet, sauté the minced garlic and chopped onions until they become translucent.
- Add in the mushrooms and cook until they soften. Then pour in the Marsala wine and chicken broth.
- Add the cooked chicken back into the skillet and pour in the heavy cream. Cook for another 5 minutes and serve with mashed potatoes or pasta.