These Air Fryer Kale Chips are crispy and light with just a touch of salt. This simple and quick recipe is a healthy dish that you can add to meals or just enjoy as a snack.
Table Of Contents
I love this recipe for Air Fryer Kale Chips because it’s super quick and easy. It’s also healthy enough that you can enjoy them guilt-free.
- TASTE: With a slight natural bitterness paired with a touch of salt, this is a tasty snack that you won’t be able to resist.
- TEXTURE: Crispy and crunchy, but light enough to practically dissolve on your tongue, these Air Fryer Kale Chips are scrumptious.
- TIME: This quick recipe only takes 8 minutes to make!
- EASE: With only 3 ingredients, this is an easy way to make a delicious snack.
What You’ll Need
- Kale- Organic, fresh kale is a good choice for this dish. It will crisp up nicely. Frozen contains too much water to fry well.
- Oil- I used avocado oil because it has a neutral taste and high smoke point. But any other high smoke point oil will work, too, which will not burn the kale.
Add-ins and Substitutions
- Add seasonings- Add cumin, paprika, garlic powder, onion powder, or lemon pepper to the kale with oil before cooking. Or try “Everything Bagel” seasoning.
- Make them spicy- Add some heat to these Air Fryer Kale Chips with cayenne powder, red pepper flake, or chili powder.
- Add some cheese- For a cheesy flavor, add some nutritional yeast to the kale. You can also use finely grated Parmesan that is added in the last few minutes of cooking.
- Toss in soy sauce- For an Asian twist, toss the kale with soy sauce and add some white sesame seeds and ground ginger. You can also use a little sesame oil.
How to Make Air Fryer Kale Chips
- Prep the kale. Add the chopped, washed, and well dried kale to a large bowl or gallon-sized ziplock bag.
- Toss with oil and salt. Then add the avocado oil and salt, and toss everything together well.
- Preheat the air fryer. Now preheat your air fryer to 350 degrees Fahrenheit for about 3 minutes. Then place a single layer of seasoned kale on the bottom of the air fryer basket. You will have to do it in batches.
- Cook. Now cook for about 4 minutes total. Be careful not to overcook the kale or else it will be slightly burnt and bitter.
Pro Tip: Halfway through cooking, stop the air fryer and give the basket a shake. This will ensure more even cooking.
- Dry the kale well- Make sure that your kale is chopped, washed, and dried very well. You don’t want any moisture in the air fryer or the kale chips won’t crisp up well.
- Combine the ingredients thoroughly- Ensure that each kale leaf is coated in oil and salt because this will help it stay dry and crisp up.
- Preheat the air fryer- Placing the seasoned kale into an already hot air fryer will immediately start to crisp the leaves. This helps them get crunchy fast.
- Don’t overcrowd- Air circulation is key to air fryer cooking, so only place the kale in a single layer. To avoid overcrowding, you will need to cook the kale in multiple batches.
The way to keep your Air Fryer Kale Chips crispy is by letting them cool completely before storing. You can also place a few grains of uncooked rice in the airtight container, which will absorb any moisture that might be inside.
One of the great things about kale chips is they hold their nutritional value when air fried, unlike other chips. They contain fiber, antioxidants, potassium, calcium, and A, C, and B vitamins. Air Fryer Kale Chips are also very healthy because they contain little fat or calories.
These tasty Air Fryer Kale Chips go great with other dishes. They can be served as a side or enjoyed on their own as a snack. Here are some serving ideas to try.
- Meats: Serve these as a side dish to BBQ Chicken Wings, Smoked Beef Brisket, Air Fryer Salmon, or Chicken Shawarma.
- Soups: Plate them on the side or sprinkle on top of soups like Tortellini Soup, Baked Potato Soup, or this Copycat Panera Bread Broccoli Cheddar Soup.
- Sandwiches: They taste great as a side for this Classic BLT Sandwich, Tuna Salad Sandwich, or Turkey Croissant Sandwich.
Make This Recipe in Advance
Make ahead: You can make these ahead by cooling and storing them at room temperature until you’re ready to enjoy.
Storing: Store leftover Air Fryer Kale Chips in an airtight container at room temperature for up to 3 days. Let them cool completely and add a few grains of raw rice or a silica gel pack (like those found in store-bought food) to keep them dry and crispy.
Freeze: These can’t be frozen because they’ll get soggy. It’s best to only make what you can enjoy in a few days.
More Tasty Air Fryer Dishes!
Full Recipe Instructions
Air Fryer Kale Chips
- Make sure that your kale is chopped, washed, and dried very well. You don’t want any moisture in the air fryer or the kale chips won’t crisp up well.
- Now add about 5 cups of the kale into a large bowl or gallon-sized ziplock bag.
- Now, preheat your air fryer to 350 degrees Fahrenheit for about 3 minutes. Then place a single layer of seasoned kale on the bottom of the air fryer basket. To avoid overcrowding, you will need to cook the kale in multiple batches.
- Now cook for about 4 minutes total, making sure to stop and shake the basket halfway through. This will ensure more even cooking. Be careful not to overcook the kale or else it will be slightly burnt and bitter.