This Creamy Tomato and Mushroom Rotini Pasta is delicious. Al dente pasta with a flavor-filled sauce, this vegetarian pasta dish is super tasty and a snap to make.
Creamy Tomato and Mushroom Rotini
This creamy rotini dish makes a great weeknight meal. It’s easy to make and uses simple, yet delicious ingredients. Plus, it’s so flavorful and versatile that it can please almost any palette. Creamy and cheesy, with the earthy flavors of mushrooms and sweet tomatoes, this pasta sauce is scrumptious. The rotini pasta is the perfect complement as the noodles really grab onto the sauce, making each and every bite savory and delicious. Make this recipe as is or tweak it to fit your preferences, but definitely try it soon. You’re going to love it!
Here’s what you’ll need to make it
- Sauce foundation- Heavy cream, Butter, Olive oil, White wine, and Parmesan cheese
- Vegetables- Mushrooms, Crushed tomatoes, Onion, and Garlic cloves
- Spices- Paprika, Salt, and Pepper
- Pasta- Rotini noodles
Add-ins and substitutions
- Add in meat- This recipe is meatless, but you can add sausage or meatballs, if you want to make it heartier.
- Substitute vegetables- If you want to try different veggies, you can leave out the mushrooms and instead add your favorites, like green peppers, carrots, zucchini, or eggplant.
- Try different spices- This creamy tomato and mushroom rotini would also taste good with other spices, like rosemary, thyme, or oregano.
- Make it lighter- To make a lighter, yet still creamy rotini, you can substitute the heavy cream with Half & Half.
Here’s how to make this amazing rotini pasta
- Saute the onion. Add the butter, olive oil, and chopped onions to a large skillet and cook over medium heat until the onions become translucent.
- Add the mushrooms. Stir in the mushrooms and cook for 4-5 minutes, until tender.
- Reduce the wine. Turn the heat up to high and add the white wine. Let it cook for about 1 minute to reduce.
- Add in the other veggies and spices. Stir in the tomatoes, garlic, salt, pepper, and paprika. Keep stirring for about 2-3 minutes over high heat.
- Simmer. Add the heavy cream and let it come to a simmer.
- Cook the pasta. Prepare the rotini pasta in a large pot of salted water according to the package directions. Turn off the heat and drain when al dente.
- Add cheese to the sauce. Remove the sauce from the heat and stir in the Parmesan cheese, then add the rotini. Stir everything together for about 2 minutes over medium heat. Then serve.
For more details, you can find the full recipe at the bottom of this post.
Our favorite serving suggestions
This Creamy Tomato and Mushroom Rotini Pasta tastes amazing on its own, but if you really want to make the meal special, try adding some of these dishes. Start with a chopped Caprese salad or Antipasto salad. Serve some Foccacia bread or Garlic Cheese bread on the side of this creamy rotini. If you like soup, you can’t go wrong with this delicious Chicken Gnocchi soup (Olive Garden copycat).
Best way to store this pasta recipe
The best way to store your creamy rotini pasta is in an airtight container in the refrigerator. It will last for about 4-5 days. You can also keep the sauce separate in a sealed container, and then make the pasta when you are ready to serve. This will ensure you have al dente pasta with your creamy tomato and mushroom sauce.
Creamy Tomato and Mushroom Rotini Pasta
Sautee the onion and mushrooms
- In a large skillet heat, the butter, olive oil, and chopped onion over medium heat or until the onion become translucent.
- Now add the sliced mushrooms and stir until they are cooked and tender (about 4-5 minutes).
Reduce the white wine
- Bring the heat to high and pour in the white wine. Let it cook out and reduce for about 1 minute.
Add tomatoes, cream, and spices
- Next, you can add the heavy cream and let it come to a simmer.
Add in the cheese and cooked pasta
- Cook the rotini pasta in a large pot of salted water as instructed on the package or al dente.
- Now remove the sauce from the heat and stir in the grated parmesan cheese, along with the cooked rotini pasta. Stir all the ingredients together for about 2 minutes over medium heat.