This grilled teriyaki salmon recipe has the perfect balance of sweet and smoky flavor. The caramelized garlic and soy sauce in the teriyaki marinade makes this grilled salmon so delicious.
This post may contain affiliate links. Read my disclosure policy here. This recipe was originally published on Jul 21, 2017, it has been updated since.
For more DELICIOUS salmon recipes be sure to give these a try.
How to make Teriyaki Salmon
Instructions on how to make teriyaki salmon
- For the teriyaki salmon marinade, combine the brown sugar, garlic, ginger, soy sauce, pepper flakes, and rice wine in a bowl. Give it a good whisk and reserve 1/2 cup and set that aside.
- Then add the olive oil and chopped green onion to the larger amount fo marinade.
- Now pour the marinade into a gallon sized ziplock bag and add the salmon fillets inside. Zip it up and marinate for 1 hour.
- Place the reserved 1/2 cup of teriyaki marinade into a small saucepan. Then stir in the water and corn starch mixture. Cook over medium heat until the teriyaki glaze thickens.
- Bring the heat of your grill to about 500 degrees Fahrenheit and grease it with non-stick spray. Then place the teriyaki salmon fillets on top and grill until fully cooked.
- After the grilled salmon is cooked through completely, remove from the grill and brush the glaze on top. Serve with white rice or wild brown rice.
How long to grill salmon on grill
- Salmon grill time varies depending on the thickness of the salmon fillets. Generally, for every 1 inch of fish, you would grill for about 7-8 minutes total. So using a fish flipper, flip the fish at about 4 minutes. Temperature also determines the time to grill the salmon. Medium-high is the best temp for grilled salmon.
Ingredients for teriyaki salmon
- brown sugar
- red pepper flakes
- low sodium soy sauce
- rice wine (sake)
- olive oil
- green onion
- king salmon fillets
A simple and easy teriyaki salmon recipe that will be on repeat during grilling season.
- 1/2 cup brown sugar
- 3 garlic cloves minced
- 1 tsp ginger minced
- 1/2 tsp red pepper flakes
- 1 cup low sodium soy sauce
- 2 tbsp rice wine sake
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 1/4 cup green onion chopped
- 2 lb king salmon fillets
- 2 tsp corn starch
- In a bowl, combine brown sugar, garlic, ginger, soy sauce, red pepper flakes, and rice wine. Reserve 1/2 cup and set aside into a small saucepan.
- In the bowl with the larger amount of the marinade add olive oil and chopped green onion.
- Place the salmon fillets in a large zip-lock bag and pour the marinade into the bag. Close tightly and refrigerate for at least 1 hour.
- Mix 2 tsp corn starch with 1 tsp water. Add the dissolved corn starch to the reserved 1/2 cup of the soy sauce mixture. cook on medium high heat until it begins to thicken into a glaze (about 10 minutes).
- Fire up the grill on medium heat and spray generously with nonstick spray. Cook the marinated salmon fillets about 6 minutes on each side. Cook time may vary depending on the thickness of your salmon fillets.
- Once the salmon is cooked through completely, remove from the grill and brush the glaze on top. Serve hot.