The easiest and fuss-free red velvet cake pops recipe! These delicious treats will be the highlight of your next party or celebration!
This post may contain affiliate links. Read my disclosure policy here.
How to make red velvet cake pops
- Pour the red velvet cake batter into a 9×13 inch baking dish and bake the cake in the oven.
- Once the cake has cooled you can start cutting away the outer layer of the cake and discarding it.
- Now crumble the cake into fine crumbs, mix it with vanilla frosting and begin shaping the cake pops. I like to use this cake pops former to get the perfect cake pops size each time.
- Next, you’ll take the cake pop sticks and dip them into melted white candy melts and then insert them into the cake pops. Freeze the cake pops for about 15 minutes then dip them in the remaining melted candy.
- Immediately place them into a styrofoam block to set and stiffen. Now decorate these cake pops however you want. I just drizzled them with red candy melts.
Red velvet cake pops ingredients
Just like any cake pop recipe, these red velvet cake pops have the same basic ingredients. Unless you’re looking to make no-bake cake pops like my quick Oreo cake pops.
- Red velvet cake mix (plus eggs, oil, and water for the cake batter)
- frosting- to help shape the cake pops together
- candy melts- to dip the cake pops in.
What flavor is red velvet?
Red velvet cake is essentially a vanilla cake made of buttermilk, vanilla, and a small amount of cocoa powder. It is often colored with red food coloring as well.
Tips for making perfect cake pops
- Trimming and discarding the browned edges of the cake will really help the cake pops stay moist and eventually hold their shape better.
- The best way to thin out candy melts is by adding shorting or dipping aid.
- When dipping the cake pops into candy melts, never swirl the cake pops. Instead, dip them a pick them up immediately.
How to store cake pops
- The best way to store dipped cake pops is by placing them in an airtight container and keeping them at room temperate for up to 1 week.
More bite-sized treats you’ll love!
- vanilla cake pops (just like Starbucks)
- amaretti cookies
- raspberry thumbprint cookies
- chocolate caramel pretzel bars
- White chocolate raspberry macarons
Watch how to make red velvet cake pops here
Red Velvet Cake Pops Recipe
- 1/3 cup vegetable oil
- 3 eggs
- 1 1/4 cup water
- 1 15 oz box red velvet cake mix
- 2 tbsp Pillsbury creamy supreme
- vanilla frosting
- 1 12 oz bag Wilton candy melts
- 1 Tbsp melting aid
- 20 cake pop sticks
- cake pop former 11/4 inch in diameter
- Combine the eggs, cake mix, oil, and water then pour the red velvet cake batter into a baking dish sprayed with nonstick spray. Bake the cake according to the package and let it cool down to room temperature.
- Cut and trim the outer part of the cake. These dry pieces are too dry and may cause your cake pops to fall apart.
- Crumble the cake with your hands into a large bowl. Then add 2 tablespoons of vanilla frosting to the crumbled cake and mix with a spoon then work it in with your hands.
- Shape the crumbled cake bits into balls and press them into the cake pop. Now remove extra cake from the sides and compress the cake ball back into your hands and round it out to a ball. The cake pop former was meant for getting the perfect size cake pop.
- Melt about 1/4 cup of white candy melts in a small bowl. Heat in 30 second intervals to avoid overheating the candy. Then dip the end of your cake pop stick into the melted white candy.
- Insert the stick into to each cake ball a little more than half way through. Now place each cake pop onto a baking sheet and transfer to the freezer for about 15 minutes.
- Then, melt the renaming white candy melts in a bowl. Make sure you melt them in 30 second intervals with mixing in between. Once it's melted well, add 1 tbsp of dipping aid chips. Now mix that all together with a whisk and pour it into a narrow cup.
- Dip each cake pop into the cup then slowly pull up the cake pop. Hold the cake pop in one hand and tap your wrist so that all the extra melted candy drips off.
- Place the dipped cake pops into a styrofoam block and drizzle with red candy melts.