These amaretti cookies are an Italian cookie perfect for the holidays. The outside of this almond cookie is slightly crisp and the inside is soft and chewy.
Amaretti cookies have an undoubtedly unique texture. This chewy almond cookie not only tastes amazing but is gluten-free as well.
This post has Amazon affiliate links for tools we used to make this recipe.
Amaretti cookies are often made with amaretto (almond liqueur). I’ve tried to make them with and without amaretto. I personally prefer them with almond extract. Its also a lot easier to find almond extract over amaretto liqueur.
Ingredients for amaretti cookies:
- egg whites
- almond flour
- granulated sugar
- vanilla extract
- almond extract
- powdered sugar
How to make amaretti cookies
- Separate the egg whites into a large bowl. Add a pinch of salt and beat them with an electric mixer until stiff peaks form.
- Sift almond flour and sugar together.
- Add a third of the almond-sugar mixture and fold it in with a spatula. Then pour in the vanilla extract and almond extract.
- Continue adding the second third of the almond mixture. Then and fold it in again. Sift in the last third and fold it in once more.
- Scoop the dough and roll it into granulated sugar. Then roll the dough ball into powdered sugar. Place them on a baking sheet lined with parchment paper. Bake for 25 minutes at 325°F.
Looking for more GLUTEN-FREE cookies? Give these a try!
Chocolate Espresso Macarons– Coffee flavored macarons sandwiched between chocolate ganache.
Easy Meringue Cookies– Quick vanilla meringue with chocolate cream and berries on top.
Chocolate Meringue Cookies– Chewy and chocolatey cookies with chopped walnuts.
A chewy Italian cookie made with simple ingredients that you probably already have at home.
- 5 eggs whites
- Pinch of salt
- 4 1/2-5 cups almond flour (depending on size of eggs)
- 1 1/2 cup granulated sugar
- 1/2 tsp vanilla extract
- 2 tsp almond extract
- 1/2 cup granulated sugar
- 1/2 powdered sugar
- separate 5 egg whites into a bowl then add a pinch of salt.
- using an electric mixer beat the egg whites until stiff peaks form.
- Set that aside and sift 5 cups of almond flour with 1 1/2 cups of granulated sugar into a bowl.
- Add about 1/3 of the almond flour mixture into the egg whites and fold it in gently with a spatula.
- Now go ahead and add 1/2 tsp vanilla extract and 1 tsp of almond extract. Then quickly fold it in.
- Add the second third of the almond flour mixture to the egg whites and gently fold it in again.
- Sift in the remaining third of the almond flour mixture and fold it in one last time. at this point, the cookie dough should have a thick paste like texture.
- Scoop out mounds of the cookie dough and place them into a plate of granulated sugar. Roll the scoop of cookie dough into the sugar, then take it into your hands and round it out to a ball.
- Drop the ball into a bowl of powdered sugar and evenly coat it.
- 10. Place the cookies onto a baking sheet lined with parchment paper and bake at 325 degrees Fahrenheit for 25 minutes.