These rich and Chewy Nutella Cookies have the most incredible texture and intense chocolatey hazelnut flavor. They are so perfect for parties and potlucks.
Table Of Contents
These Chewy Nutella Cookies are such a delight! Their delicious flavor makes them addictively good, and they’re also simple to make with just a handful of ingredients. You can’t go wrong with this easy and tasty dessert.
- TASTE: These cookies have an intense Nutella flavor. The blend of chocolate and hazelnuts make this dessert irresistible.
- TEXTURE: These Nutella Cookies have the most amazing texture. The crispy exterior and chewy interior make them extra delicious!
- TIME: They take just 30 minutes
- EASE: These cookies are so easy to make. Even a beginner baker can make them with no problem.
What You’ll Need
- Eggs- This will help bind the cookies and keep them moist and chewy rather than crumbly.
- Baking soda and Baking powder- Together, these two leavening agents will give the cookies the right amount of rise and chewiness.
- Nutella- This spread not only brings the hazelnut and chocolate flavor, it also adds just the right amount of sweetness to these cookies. No sugar needed.
Add-ins and Substitutions
- Add nuts- Add chopped hazelnuts, walnuts, pecans, cashews, or almonds to these cookies to up the nutty flavor.
- Add chocolate chips- Make them with milk chocolate, semi-sweet chocolate, white chocolate, or dark chocolate chips. Even peanut butter chips make a good addition.
- Substitute gluten-free flour- Substituting the flour with gluten-free all-purpose flour 1:1 will make these Nutella Cookies a gluten-free treat.
- Top with sea salt- For a sweet and salty combo, top these cookies with coarse sea salt before baking them.
How to Make Nutella Cookies
- Combine the wet ingredients. In a large bowl, add the Nutella hazelnut spread, along with the eggs. Then mix it together with an electric hand mixer. You can also use a whisk as well.
- Add the dry ingredients. Now sift the flour, baking soda, and salt right into the Nutella mixture. Then mix again.
- Scoop and bake the cookie dough. Once the Nutella cookie dough is well combined, scoop out the dough using a medium-sized cookie scoop. Then place it on a parchment-lined baking sheet and bake at 350 degrees Fahrenheit for 8-9 minutes.
Pro Tip: The cookie dough will seem dry and crumbly at first. Once you press a piece of the cookie dough into your hand, it will mend together perfectly.
- Measure precisely- To avoid dry cookies, scoop the flour into the measuring cup with a spoon and level it with a knife. Scooping flour with the measuring cup can pack too much in.
- Sift the dry ingredients together- Doing this gets rid of any clumps and thoroughly mixes the ingredients for the best chemical reaction and chewiest cookies once everything is combined.
- Scoop the dough with a cookie scoop- This ensures that the cookies are all the same size so they bake evenly. Rolling them into a ball will help them bake into a perfect circle.
- How to bake frozen cookie dough- Place the raw frozen Nutella cookies onto a prepared baking sheet and let them thaw for about 20 minutes. Then bake as instructed. For still frozen dough, add a few minutes to the bake time.
Yes, baking soda helps your cookies have a chewier, coarser texture. Without it, cookies tend to be flat and hard, so don’t forget it when making these Nutella Cookies.
Chewy cookies won’t stay soft for more than a few days. One way to keep them chewy is to add a slice of bread to the container that they are stored in so the cookies can absorb the bread’s moisture and stay soft.
This simple yet versatile recipe for Chewy Nutella Cookies goes well with almost any dessert. Serve them with your favorites or create ice cream sandwiches with them!
- Ice Cream: Spread some No Churn Vanilla Ice Cream, Easy Ube Ice Cream, or any other flavor between two of these cookies for an ice cream sandwich.
- Cakes: Enjoy them alongside a slice of Flourless Chocolate Cake, Tiramisu Cake (VIDEO), Easy Oreo Cheesecake (VIDEO), or Chocolate Mousse Cake.
- Cookies: Pair these Nutella Cookies with some Chocolate Chip Walnut Cookies, Almond Flour Chocolate Chip Cookies, Mint Chocolate Chip Cookies, or Double Chocolate Cookies (VIDEO).
- Chocolate: Serve these cookies with some Chocolate Covered Dates, Edible Chocolate Chip Cookie Dough, Chocolate Creme Brulee, or Chocolate Bark.
Make This Recipe in Advance
Make ahead: You can most definitely make this Nutella cookie recipe in advance. Just make sure to keep them in an airtight container for optimal freshness and taste.
Storing: Once the cookies are baked, let them cool completely and store them in a container or jar that is airtight. This will ensure that the cookies don’t develop a stale taste. Keep them in there for up to 3 days.
Freeze: I find that freezing the dough after it’s been shaped into balls is the best and easiest way to freeze the Nutella cookie dough. Just make sure to place the frozen dough balls into a ziplock freezer bag for no more than 2 months.
More Delicious Nutella Desserts!
Full Recipe Instructions
Chewy Nutella Cookies
- In a large bowl combine 1 3/4 cup Nutella chocolate hazelnut spread, 1 egg, and 1 egg yolk. Now mix that all together with an electric hand mixer until well combined. You can also use a whisk as well.
- Now sift in 3/4 cup + 2 tablespoons of all-purpose flour, along with 1 teaspoon baking powder, 1/8 teaspoon baking soda, and a pinch of salt. Mix everything together until the dough is well combined.
- Once the Nutella cookie dough is combined, scoop out mounds of the dough using a cookie scoop. The dough may seem dry and crumbly at first. Once you take out the dough into your hands, it will take shape as you roll it into a ball.
- Now place the Nutella cookie dough balls on a baking sheet lined with parchment paper. Then bake at 350 degrees Fahrenheit for 8-9 minutes.
- You can add anything from nuts, chocolate chips, sea salt, or even sandwich two cookies between some ice cream as an ice cream sandwich!
This recipe was originally published on Aug 28, 2019, it has been updated since then.