This Sausage Gravy is savory, thick, and the perfect accompaniment to some homecooked favorites. This quick side tastes great on biscuits, chicken, and so much more!
The best homemade sausage gravy
This homemade sausage gravy is so hearty and delicious. Savory sausage and creamy, buttery gravy make it the perfect addition for a breakfast of biscuits and gravy. It can really level up a basic breakfast of toasted bread, too, or be the perfect topping for fried chicken or waffles. This recipe makes the best homemade gravy, and it only takes about 15 minutes. So spice up your morning breakfast routine (or lunch and dinner, whatever works for you!) with this deliciously thick and satisfying sausage gravy.
What will I need?
- Breakfast sausage patties
- All-purpose flour
- Unsalted butter
- Whole milk
- Chicken broth
- Salt & pepper (if desired)
Here’s how to make the best sausage gravy from scratch!
- Cook the sausage. In a large skillet, cook the sausage patties over medium-high heat. Break it apart with a wooden spoon as you stir until it’s fully cooked.
- Add the butter and flour. Stir in the flour and butter, mixing until there are no more dry patches.
- Add the liquid ingredients. Pour in the milk and broth and let it come to a simmer. Keep it over medium heat for about 5 more minutes.
- Season and serve. If you want, you can add salt and pepper to the gravy. Then, serve it warm.
This best homemade sausage gravy tastes great on so many things. Pour warm gravy over waffles (use this batter recipe!) and buttermilk biscuits for breakfast. For a hearty lunch or dinner, try it on top of mashed potatoes and fried chicken. You really can’t go wrong with this sausage gravy.
Can I make it ahead of time?
Yes, you can! If you want to save time, you can make this sausage gravy ahead of time and keep it in the refrigerator in an airtight container. It will last for 3-4 days.
Best way to reheat leftovers
If you have leftovers, reheat them on the stove top with some additional milk. Warm the gravy slowly, stirring to reincorporate the milk and keep it creamy.
Can you freeze sausage gravy?
Yes, you can freeze homemade sausage gravy. The best way to do this is by placing it in an airtight container or a ziplock freezer bag (freeze it laying flat to save room). It will last in the freezer for up to 3 months.
Best Sausage Gravy
- Bring a large skillet over medium-high heat and place the sausage patties inside. Using a wooden spoon, break apart the meat and stir until it’s fully cooked. No grease is necessary for this step since the meat has enough fat to prevent it from sticking to the pan.
- Now you can add the unsalted butter and flour and mix the flour in until no more dry patches appear.
- Next, pour in the chicken broth and milk and let it come to a simmer. Keep the sausage gravy over medium heat for about 5 more minutes.
- Season with pepper and salt (optional). I prefer not to add salt since the sausage I used was salty enough. Serve warm over freshly baked buttermilk biscuits.