This 30-minute Cajun Shrimp Pasta is so filling and delicious. Creamy, garlicky, and a little spicy, you won’t believe it only takes half an hour!
If you love this pasta dish, you should try our Cajun chicken pasta. This cranberry broccoli salad tastes great with it, too.
Creamy cajun shrimp pasta
This Cajun Shrimp Pasta has such a complex and delicious flavor. The mix of garlic, spices, and cream with pasta and shrimp makes it amazingly tasty. There is a little heat to the seasoning, but not too much. One of the best things about this pasta dish is that it only takes half an hour to make, which is such a life saver on a busy weeknight. With most of the ingredients usually on hand, or easy to find in the store, this meal is quick, easy, and satisfying.
If you want this shrimp recipe without the extra carbs, then make this blackened cajun shrimp alone.
What goes into cajun seasoning?
- Paprika- Made with red bell peppers, it has a mild sweet pepper taste.
- Salt- Enhances the other flavors.
- Onion powder- This adds a sharp and somewhat sweet onion flavor to the dish.
- Dried oregano- It has a pungent, earthy taste.
- Ground black pepper- Adds some heat to the other flavors.
- Cayenne powder- This is optional, but makes the seasoning spicier.
Cajun seasoning vs blackened seasoning
Cajun seasoning and blackened seasoning are similar, but with a few variations in ingredients and spice level. Where Cajun uses paprika and cayenne, blackened uses chili powder. If you are looking for a spicier seasoning, then Cajun seasoning is a better fit. Blackened has some heat, but not as much.
How to make this easy 30-minute creamy pasta recipe
- Cook the pasta. Cook the pasta according to the package directions. Drain and set aside.
- Peel and season the shrimp. Once the shrimp are thawed, peel off the shells. Put the shrimp in a large bowl and add the garlic, olive oil, salt, pepper, onion powder, paprika, oregano, and cayenne (if you’re using it). Mix thoroughly.
- Cook the shrimp. Melt some butter in a skillet and cook the shrimp over medium heat for a few minutes on each side. When they are pink and opaque, take them out of the skillet and set them aside.
- Make the sauce. In the same skillet, add the cream. Cook it over medium high heat until it begins to simmer.
- Add the rest of the ingredients back in. Turn off the heat and add the Parmesan cheese, shrimp, and pasta to the cream sauce. Stir together.
How to make it low carb
If you are looking for a low-carb alternative for this Cajun shrimp pasta, then try zucchini noodles, aka zoodles. You can buy them or just spiralize the zucchini yourself. They cook in a matter of minutes and have such a light flavor that they work really well with the seasonings in this cajun shrimp dish.
Here is the recipe for the cajun shrimp alone.
How to make it lighter
To lighten this Cajun Shrimp Pasta, substitute Half & Half for the heavy cream. You’ll still get a deliciously creamy sauce, but will a lower fat content.
How long will it keep?
In an airtight container, this cajun shrimp pasta will keep for 3-4 days in the refrigerator.
What to serve with cajun shrimp pasta
Full Recipe Instructions
Cajun Shrimp Pasta
For the shrimp
- 1 pound shrimp shelled and deveined
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 teaspoons paprika
- 1 clove garlic crushed
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon onion powder
- 1/4 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1/4 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 2 teaspoon cayenne optional
For the pasta sauce
- 1 lb spaghetti pasta
- 4 cups heavy cream
- 4 tbsp unsalted butter
- 3/4 cup Parmesan cheese
Peal and season the shrimp
- Thawing out your shrimp and remove the shells. I like to leave the tail on but you can remove that as well if you want.
Cook the shrimp in a skillet, then remove
- Now melt butter in a skillet over medium heat and cook the shrimp a few minutes on both sides until they are pink and opaque. ￼
- Remove the shrimp and set them aside
Make the sauce and add shrimp and pasta back in
- ￼ turn the heat up to medium high and pour the cream inside the same skillet.
- Once the cream comes to a simmer turn the heat off and add in the Parmesan cheese, cooked shrimp, and cooked pasta.
- Easy Napoleon Cake Recipe (VIDEO) - June 7, 2023
- Tropical Smoothie - June 5, 2023
- Cherry Cobbler - June 3, 2023
Angie Chop says
Great recipe! I followed it mostly, but didn’t have heavy cream on hand, so I substituted with milk, sour cream, and cream cheese. I also added fresh parsley and a squeeze of lemon juice when serving. Kids rated this a thumbs up and they are super picky (one doesn’t even like shrimp). Thank you for a simple quick dinner that satisfies my cajun cravings!
Thank you Angie! I am very happy to hear that your kids approved this cajun shrimp pasta recipe! Thank you for taking the time to leave such a kind review! 🙂 I hope you find many more recipes that your family will enjoy on my blog 🙂