This Cheese Blintz recipe is easy to follow and tastes delicious. Thin pancakes filled with sweet cheese and topped with berry sauce, the flavors in these blintzes are so yummy.
If you want to try other recipes like this one, check out our tasty blueberry breakfast crepes and strawberry crepes recipe.
The Best Cheese Blintz Recipe
This Cheese Blintz recipe is the perfect combination of creamy, sweet filling and soft, thin pancake. Blintzes are most similar to crepes or Russian blini. They are soft and golden brown, and filled with cheese or fruit. This Cheese Blintz recipe is easy to follow and you’ll love how tasty these desserts turn out. Enjoy them for the holidays or make them anytime. They are really convenient because you can prep them ahead of time for a quick weeknight dish. Topped with some berry sauce or sour cream, they’re absolutely decadent.
What you’ll use for this recipe
- Blintz batter ingredients- Eggs, Granulated sugar, Salt, Vanilla extract, All-purpose flour, Milk, Water, and Olive oil.
- Filling ingredients- Small curd cottage cheese, Cream cheese, Granulated sugar, and Vanilla extract.
How to Make Amazing Cheese Blintz
Make the blintz batter
- Mix the eggs, sugar, salt, and vanilla. Place the eggs, sugar, salt, and vanilla in a large bowl and beat them together with an electric hand mixer for about 1 minute on high speed.
- Add the flour. Then add the flour and mix it on low speed until well incorporated. (The batter may be thick and sticky at this point.)
- Add the hot milk and water. Slowly, add the boiling milk and boiling water to the bowl, mixing the whole time. Be careful not to rush and scramble the eggs.
- Mix and rest. Now add the olive oil and mix once more. Then cover the batter and let it rest for at least 30 minutes. This is crucial, so don’t skip this step.
Cook the blintz
- Cook the blintz. Melt the butter in a medium-sized skillet over medium-low heat. Then ladle 1/4 cup of blintz batter into the pan, tilting and swirling it so the batter coats the entire bottom of the pan.
- Flip it. After about 2-3 minutes, lightly scrape the sides of the blintz with a thin spatula and then slide it underneath and gently flip the blintz over. Cook for another 1-2 minutes before transferring it to a plate. Repeat this with the rest of the batter, and stack the 10-12 cooked blintzes on top of each other to cool.
Make the sweet cheese filling
- Make the cheese blintz filling. Combine the cottage cheese, softened cream cheese, sugar, and vanilla using an electric hand mixer.
Fill and roll up the cheese blintz
- Fill the blintzes. Spread the sweet cheese filling into each blintz and roll them up like a burrito.
- Brown them. Now add a tablespoon of butter to a skillet over medium heat. Lightly brown the blintzes on each side. Serve.
Tips for Making the Best Cheese Blintz
- Add the hot milk and water slowly- It’s important to incorporate the boiling hot milk and water slowly to the batter because of the eggs. Too much, too fast will scramble the eggs.
- Spoon and level-off the flour- When you are adding the flour to the batter, make sure to spoon it into the measuring cup and level it off. This gives a more accurate measurement than scooping.
- Let the batter rest- It is really important that the batter rests for at least 30 minutes once it’s all mixed. This allows the starch in the flour to absorb the liquid and relax so you have the right texture in your cheese blintz.
- Butter the pan- When you cook the blintz batter, make sure the pan is coated in butter and you tilt and swirl it so the batter quickly coats the bottom. This will allow the blintz to cook evenly and be easy to flip.
Variations on this Blintz Recipe
If you love this cheese blintz, you can also try it with other flavor variations. For a savory blintz, you can try:
- Apple, Onion, and Brie cheese
- Pepperjack cheese and Avocado
- Spinach, Sun-dried tomatoes, and Feta cheese
For a cheese blintz that’s on the sweet side, you could fill it with:
- Mascarpone cheese and Chocolate
- Ricotta cheese, Sour cream, and Cherries
- Apples and Caramel sauce
How to Store them
To store leftover cheese blintzes, allow them to cool before placing them in an airtight container in the fridge. They should be separated by wax paper to avoid sticking. They will last for up to 5 days. You can also freeze them for up to 3 months.
Can you Make them Ahead of time?
Yes, this cheese blintz recipe can be made ahead! Just freeze the cheese blintzes before they have been cooked by individually wrapping them and placing them on a baking sheet. Once they are frozen, place them in a ziplock freezer bag and freeze until you are ready to defrost and serve. Defrost them overnight, then brown them and serve.
More Delicious Recipes to Try!
- Blueberry Breakfast Crepe Recipe
- Cottage Cheese Pancakes
- Blueberry Ricotta Pancakes
- Crispy Breakfast Burrito Recipe (freezer-friendly) (VIDEO)
- Perfect Crepes (VIDEO)
Full Recipe Instructions
Cheese Blintz Recipe
- 3 large eggs
- 2 teaspoons granulated sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 3/4 cup hot milk
- 1/2 cup hot water
- 1 1/2 tablespoons olive oil
- 5 cups small curd cottage cheese
- 4 oz softened cream cheese
- 1/4 cup granulated sugar
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
Make the blintz batter and let it rest
- Start off by making the blintz batter first. Place 3 large eggs, 2 teaspoons granulated sugar, 1/2 teaspoon salt, and 1 teaspoon vanilla extract into a large bowl. Then use an electric hand mixer to beat that together for about 1 minute on high speed.
- Now add in 1 cup of all-purpose flour (spooned and leveled off). Mix on low speed until the flour is incorporated. It will be very thick and sticky, that’s ok.
- Slowly add 3/4 cup boiling milk and 1/2 boiling water to the bowl while mixing at the same time. You don’t want to pour too much at a time or the heat will scramble your eggs.
- Once you’ve poured all the liquids in, pour in 1 1/2 tablespoons of olive oil and mix one more time. Then cover the batter and let it rest for at least 30 minutes. Letting the batter rest is crucial here, so don’t skip this step.
Cook the blintz in a buttered pan
- Heat a medium-sized skillet over medium-low heat. Now add in 2 tablespoons of unsalted butter. Let it melt completely, then ladle in 1/4 cup of the blintz batter. You want to quickly tilt and swirl the pan around to so that the blintz batter coasts the entire bottom of the pan￼￼￼￼￼.
- After about 2-3 minutes you want to lightly scrape the sides of the blintz with a thin spatula. Then slide the spatula under the crepe and gently flip it over.
- Then cook the crepe for an additional 1-2 minutes. Then gently transfer your finish blintz into a plate. And you can go ahead and stack those right on top of each other. You should get a total of 10-12 blintz.
Make the sweet cheese filling
- To make the sweet cheese filling, simply combine 5 cups small curd cottage cheese, 4 oz softened cream cheese, 1/4 cup granulated sugar, and 1 tsp vanilla extract using an electric hand mixer.
Fill and roll up the crepes
- Now spread the sweet cheese filling into each blintz and roll them up like a burrito.
- Add a tablespoon of unsalted butter into a skillet and bring the heat to medium. Then lightly brown the finished blintz on each side. Serve with berry sauces or sour cream.
- Smoked Salmon Salad - May 31, 2023
- Garlic Aioli - May 30, 2023
- Strawberry Feta Spinach Salad - May 27, 2023
Leave questions and feedback here