Are you looking for a quick and easy breakfast that’s also delicious? This Crispy Breakfast Burrito recipe is full of flavor and super convenient for busy mornings.
Breakfast Burrito Recipe
Breakfast burritos bring together everything we love about breakfast: savory bacon, scrambled eggs, gooey cheese, cool sour cream, and a hint of spicy salsa. They’re also easy to make and freezer-friendly. You can prep a bunch over the weekend and store them until you need them. This is a lifesaver on those busy mornings when you just want something delicious and nutritious fast. These Breakfast Burritos are a full-fledged morning meal wrapped up in a crispy tortilla! Your family is going to love them.
Other great breakfast dishes:
What goes into breakfast burritos
- Protein- Bacon, Eggs
- Dairy- Shredded Cheese, Milk (to be scrambled into the eggs), Butter
- Toppings- Salsa, Sour cream
- Seasonings- Salt and Pepper
- Wrap- Flour tortillas
Breakfast Burrito add-ins
You can get pretty creative with these Breakfast Burritos, adding in your favorite meats and veggies to tweak the flavor to your liking. Here are just a few suggestions:
- Sausage- links or patties that are cut into pieces
- Ham- sliced into strips
- Avocado- sliced or mashed into guacamole
- Ketchup- if you don’t like it spicy
- Sriracha- or if you like it extra spicy
- Diced tomatoes- very refreshing add-in
- Feta cheese- good-quality crumbles are best
- Spinach- sauteed and added right to the eggs
How to make a breakfast burrito
- Cook the bacon. Fry the bacon slices to your preferred crispiness. Pat dry.
- Scramble the eggs. Whisk your eggs with the milk, salt, and pepper. Heat the butter in a pan and cook the eggs.
- Assemble your breakfast burritos. Add 1/4 of the eggs, a slice of bacon, shredded cheese, sour cream, and salsa.
- Roll them up. Brush the edges of the tortillas with water and roll them tightly.
- Crisp the sides. Heat a pan with oil and fry each side of your breakfast burrito until golden brown.
- Don’t overstuff them. Too many ingredients will cause the tortilla to tear, so err on the side of caution when filling these burritos.
- Brush them with water before wrapping. Don’t forget this step because it will ensure that your breakfast burritos close tightly.
- Minimize grease. After you’ve cooked the bacon, pat them dry to decrease the amount of grease that goes into your burritos.
How to freeze breakfast burritos
- Cool. Let them cool completely to avoid condensation forming, leading to soggy burritos.
- Wrap. Take the cooled burrito and wrap it first in parchment paper, then in foil.
- Bag. Place the wrapped burritos in a gallon-sized ziplock bag. They can be frozen for up to 1 month.
How to defrost them
- Oven– Unwrap the breakfast burritos and place them on a baking sheet. Heat for 35-40 minutes at 350 degrees Fahrenheit, until crisp and warmed through.
- Microwave– Take off the parchment paper and foil and wrap the burrito in a damp paper towel. Heat it in the microwave for 2-3 minutes on high, until thoroughly warmed. (This method is fast, but you lose the crispiness factor.)
- Cooktop– Lay the unwrapped burritos on a pan and heat over medium heat. Turn every few minutes until heated through.
Breakfast Burritos (freezer friendly)
Cook the bacon
- Cook the bacon either in a pan or in the oven. You can even air fry it if you want. As long as its nice and crispy. Then set it aside.
Scramble the eggs
- Wisk 4 eggs with 1/4 tsp salt, 1/8 tsp black pepper, and 2 tbsp milk.
- Heat 1 tbsp unsalted butter in a cast iron pan over medium heat. Add the eggs in and cook until scrambled.
Fill and wrap the breakfast burritos
- Begin making your breakfast burritos starting with medium-sized uncooked flour tortillas.
- Add 1/4 of the scrambled eggs in the center of each tortilla, then add 1 slice of cooked bacon, shredded Mexican cheese, mild salsa, and sour cream.
- Brush the edges of the uncooked tortilla with water and roll up tightly.
Fry them in a skillet
- Now heat 1/4 cup avocado oil in a large skillet over medium heat and fry each side of the breakfast burritos until they are golden brown.
How to freeze breakfast burritos1. Let them cool completely, wrap them in parchment paper, then wrap them again in foil.
2. Place them in gallon-sized ziplock bags and freeze them for up to 1 month.
3. To reheat them, unwrap the burritos and place them on a baking sheet in a single layer. Bake at 350 degrees Fahrenheit for 35-40 minutes turning halfway through. Baking them will get them nice and crispy again.