Are you looking for a quick and easy breakfast that’s also delicious? These crispy Breakfast Burritos are full of flavor and super convenient for busy mornings.
Table Of Contents
Breakfast burritos bring together everything we love about breakfast: delicious bacon, eggs, cheese, sour cream, and salsa. They’re also easy to make and freezer-friendly.
- TASTE: From the cheesy eggs to the savory bacon, this breakfast has it all. The tangy sour cream and spicy salsa add great flavor.
- TEXTURE: This Breakfast Burrito is crispy on the outside and full of gooey cheese and crunchy bacon.
- TIME: This recipe take about 30 minutes to make.
- EASE: This dish is so easy and convenient. The burritos are made of simple ingredients you likely have on hand and I’ll show you how to assemble them perfectly.
What You’ll Need
- Bacon- Use any type you like. Turkey bacon is ok, too.
- Eggs- Use either the whole egg, or you can make this with egg whites.
- Shredded Cheese- I used a Mexican-style blend, but you can use whatever cheese you like.
- Butter- Unsalted is best since we will be seasoning the eggs with salt.
- Toppings- Salsa, Sour cream
- Wrap- Flour tortillas
Add-ins and Substitutions
- Substitute another cheese- You can make these with other kinds of cheeses, including cheddar, jack, feta cheese, or mozzarella.
- Add more meat- Try these Breakfast Burritos with sausage links or patties cut up, or with ham.
- Use another topping- Besides sour cream and salsa, you can also add Pico de Gallo, Guacamole, Sriracha, or ketchup.
- Add vegetables- Make this recipe with diced tomatoes, avocado, or spinach.
How to Make Breakfast Burritos
- Cook the bacon. Fry the bacon slices to your preferred crispiness (pan fry, bake, or air fry).
Pro Tip: Pat your bacon with paper towels to get off excess grease that could make your burritos soggy.
- Scramble the eggs. Whisk your eggs with the milk, salt, and pepper. Heat the butter in a pan and cook the eggs.
- Assemble your breakfast burritos. Add 1/4 of the eggs, a slice of bacon, shredded cheese, sour cream, and salsa.
- Roll them up. Brush the edges of the tortillas with water and roll them tightly.
- Crisp the sides. Heat a pan with oil and fry each side of your breakfast burrito until golden brown.
- Don’t overstuff them.-Too many ingredients will cause the tortilla to tear, so err on the side of caution when filling these burritos.
- Brush them with water before wrapping- Don’t forget this step because it will ensure that your breakfast burritos close tightly.
- Minimize grease– After you’ve cooked the bacon, pat them dry to decrease the amount of grease that goes into your burritos.
- Make a double batch- Because these burritos freeze so well, make a double batch for another day when you need a quick and nutritious breakfast already made.
To avoid a soggy breakfast burrito, don’t overcook the eggs as they can release moisture, don’t add too much milk to the eggs, and drain the liquid when you add the salsa. Also, when you wrap it, make sure it is completely cooled to avoid condensation from forming.
Add the filling to your tortilla, making sure not to overstuff it. Then fold the tortilla up to cover the filling, fold both sides over until they also cover the filling, then tightly roll the tortilla up. Also, warming the tortilla first keeps it from tearing. Brush the seam with water to keep it tightly closed.
These Breakfast Burritos are so versatile, you can serve them with any kind of breakfast. Here are some delicious ways to enjoy this dish.
- Meats: Serve them alongside some Homemade Biscuits and Gravy, Crispy Air Fryer Bacon, or Garlic Butter Steak Bites.
- Eggs: Pair them with a dish like this Eggs Benedict, Shakshuka Recipe, Quiche Lorraine, or Easy Poached Eggs with Caramelized Onions.
- Pancakes: Enjoy these Breakfast Burritos with some Buttermilk Pancakes, German Pancakes (VIDEO), Blueberry Ricotta Pancakes, or Cottage Cheese Pancakes.
- Smoothies: Have your burrito with a Mandarin Banana Smoothie or Blueberry Smoothie Bowl.
Make This Recipe in Advance
Make ahead: You can easily freeze these burritos so they are a great make-ahead meal. Just prepare them as per the recipe, then let them cool before wrapping and freezing.
Storing: You can store these Breakfast Burritos in the refrigerator for up to 4 days, wrapped.
Freeze: Take the cooled burrito and wrap it first in parchment paper, then in foil.
Place the wrapped burritos in a gallon-sized ziplock bag. They can be frozen for up to 1 month. Defrost them in the oven at 350 degrees for 35-40 min, in the microwave for 2-3 minutes, or on the stovetop over medium high heat.
More Tasty Breakfast Dishes!
Full Recipe Instructions
- Cook the bacon either in a pan or in the oven. You can even air-fry bacon if you want. As long as it's nice and crispy. Then set it aside.
- Wisk 4 eggs with 1/4 tsp salt, 1/8 tsp black pepper, and 2 Tbsp milk.
- Melt 1 Tbsp unsalted butter in a cast iron pan over medium heat. Add the whisked eggs in and stir with a silicone spatula until the eggs are cooked.
- Begin making your breakfast burritos starting with medium-sized uncooked flour tortillas.
- Add 1/4 of the scrambled eggs in the center of each tortilla, then add 1 slice of cooked bacon, shredded Mexican cheese, mild salsa, and sour cream.
- Brush the edges of the uncooked tortilla with water and roll it up tightly.
- Now heat 1/4 cup avocado oil in a large skillet over medium heat and fry each side of the breakfast burritos until they are golden brown.
2. Place them in gallon-sized ziplock bags and freeze them for up to 1 month.
3. To reheat them, unwrap the burritos and place them on a baking sheet in a single layer. Bake at 350 degrees Fahrenheit for 35-40 minutes turning halfway through. Baking them will get them nice and crispy again.