This post may contain affiliate links. Read my disclosure policy here. This recipe was originally posted on Feb 20, 2015, we’ve tweaked it a bit since then.
How to make a chocolate lava cake
- Melt the butter and chocolate chips over a double boiler. Then, in a separate bowl, beat the eggs until they become foamy and add the powdered sugar, vanilla, and melted chocolate.
- Now sift the flour in and whisk all the ingredients together until the chocolate batter is smooth.
- Pour the chocolate lava cake batter into the greased 4oz ramekins and bake at 410 degrees Fahrenheit for 8 minutes.
How to remove chocolate lava cake out of ramekin
- The best way to remove the lava cake out of the ramekin is by making sure to grease it generously prior to filling with the lava cake batter. If you don’t, it will stick too much.
- The lava cakes will be super hot when you take them out of the oven, so don’t try to flip it with your hands at lightning speed (obviously, you’ll burn yourself). Instead, place a small plate on top of the ramekin, then grab the side of the ramekin with a kitchen towel and flip it over. And voila its all in one glorious piece, so you can go ahead and Instagram it.
- If you’re too impatient for this step, don’t even bother taking it out, just top it with some fine quality vanilla ice cream and berries, and eat it right out of the ramekin. We won’t judge 🙂
Can I make chocolate lava cake ahead of time?
- Sure thing! Once you pour the batter into the greased ramekins, cover each lava cake with cling wrap and place in the refrigerator. Once you’re ready to bake the lava cakes, bake at 410 degrees Fahrenheit for 10 minutes.
How long can I keep chocolate lava cake in the fridge?
- You can keep the lava cakes refrigerated for up to 2-3 days before baking.
Can you freeze molten lava cakes?
- Yes, you can. Cover each molten lava cakes with cling wrap and keep frozen for up to 3 months. Bake the frozen lava cakes at 410 degrees Fahrenheit for 11 minutes.
Decadent molten chocolate lava cake that goes perfectly with a scoop of ice cream.
- 7 4 oz ramekins
- 12 oz semisweet chocolate chips
- 1 1/2 stick of butter
- 3 eggs
- 1 egg yolk
- 2 tsp vanilla
- 3/4 cup powdered sugar
- 3/4 cup flour
- Preheat your oven to 410 degrees Fahrenheit. Over a double boiler, melt butter and chocolate chips . Keep stirring until it reaches a smooth silky consistency.
- In a bowl, lightly beat the eggs and egg yolk. Then beat in the powdered sugar, vanilla, and melted chocolate. Sift the flour with a mesh strainer and whisk it into the chocolate mixture.
- Spray each ramekin with nonstick spray and fill with the batter. Make sure NOT to fill each one all the way to the top. I used 4 oz ramekins.
- Place each filled ramekins on a baking sheet and bake for 8 minutes.If you refrigerate your lava cakes, bake them for about 10-12 minutes.
- Once they're done, flip them over onto a plate. Or you can always eat them straight out of the ramekin if you prefer not to flip them. Serve warm with berries or ice cream.