These Best Chocolate Chip Cookie Bars are chewy and richly sweet. Swimming in chocolate chips, you are going to love this simply delicious chocolaty treat.
Best chocolate chip cookie bars
These chocolate chip cookie bars are everything you could want in a dessert. Gooey, melted chocolate chips in a cookie dough that is sweet with brown sugar and extra buttery. Unlike chocolate chip cookies, these cookie bars have chewy, soft edges that are heavenly. One of the best things about this chocolate chip cookie bar recipe is that it’s easier to make than plain old cookies (no individual shaping!), but tastes just as good – maybe even better! Serve them with coffee or a glass of milk. Use them for the ultimate ice cream sandwich. There are lots of ways to enjoy this scrumptious dessert.
What will I need to make them?
These cookie bars use pretty much the same ingredients as chocolate chip cookies. They include:
- Dry ingredients- All-purpose flour, Granulated sugar, Golden brown sugar, Salt, and Baking soda
- Wet ingredients- Eggs, Vanilla extract, and Butter
- And Chocolate chips!
. You can add in nuts if you like, just like in my ultimate walnuts chocolate chip cookies recipe.
How to make chocolate chip cookie bars
- Sift the dry ingredients. In a large bowl, sift the flour, salt, and baking soda together. Set aside.
- Mix the sugar and butter. In another bowl, whisk the melted butter, brown sugar, and granulated sugar together for about 1 minute. Make sure the sugar and butter are well incorporated.
- Add the rest of the wet ingredients. Now add the eggs and vanilla extract to the sugar mixture. Whisk again thoroughly.
- Add the flour mixture to the wet ingredients. Using a spatula, add the flour mixture into the cookie dough, folding and mixing until everything is incorporated evenly.
- Add the chocolate chips. Now add the chocolate chips (except 1/3 cup to be set aside) to the dough and mix them in.
- Bake. In a parchment paper-lined, 9×9 inch deep baking dish, press the dough down flat until it reaches the sides. Then, top it with the remaining chocolate chips and bake for 30-40 minutes at 350 degrees Fahrenheit on the center rack. Every oven is different so the bake time will vary. Just make sure that the center is baked. Allow it to cool some before removing from the pan and cutting into cookie bars.
Add-ins and substitutions
- Add nuts- Add in some walnuts, pecans, or almonds to add a crunchy element to these cookie bars.
- Substitute different chocolates- These don’t have to be milk chocolate chips. You can use white chocolate, dark chocolate, or for a holiday theme, chunks of peppermint bark, too.
- Add your favorite flavors- If you want a more buttery taste, try some butter extract. You can also experiment with mint extracts, orange zest, or peanut butter to alter the flavor profile of these chocolate chip cookie bars.
How long do they take to bake?
These Best Chocolate Chip Cookie Bars bake for 30 minutes. This gives the dough enough time to cook, but still remain moist and chewy in the middle.
Helpful baking tips
- Measure the flour properly- The proportion of flour has to be just right to get the texture that you want for these cookie bars, so spoon and level off each measuring cup full of flour with a knife for accuracy.
- Sift the flour- Sifting your flour removes any clumps and makes sure the flour is light and airy when it’s mixed into the other ingredients. This will give your cookie bars the best texture.
- Use good-quality chocolate chips- Since your chocolate chips are going to be the star of the show, it’s best to choose good-quality chocolate. Believe me, you’ll taste the difference.
Make them ahead of time!
You can absolutely make the dough in advance. Prepare the dough as directed and then keep it in an airtight container in the refrigerator or freezer until you are ready to bake it.
How long will they stay soft and fresh?
These Best Chocolate Chip Cookie Bars will remain fresh for up to 3 days in an airtight container at room temperature or in the refrigerator.
More cookie recipes to try!
If you love these Chocolate Chip Cookie Bars, then you should try these banana oatmeal cookies, chocolate thumbprint cookies, chocolate meringue cookies, and monster cookies. You might also enjoy these tasty and chewy Nutella cookies or double chocolate cookies (video).
Quick Chocolate Chip Cookies Bars
Sift the dry ingredients
- In a large bowl sift together 2 1/2 cups flour, 1 teaspoon baking soda, and 1 1/2 tsp salt.
Mix butter, sugars, eggs, and vanilla
- In a separate bowl add 1 cup of melted unsalted butter, 1 cup of granulated sugar, and 1 1/4 cup of golden brown sugar. Using a whisk, mix it all together for about 1 minute. You want to make sure the sugar and butter are well incorporated together￼.
- Now add 1 egg, 1 egg yolk, and 1 1/2 teaspoons of vanilla extract to the butter and sugar mixture. Whisk again thoroughly.
Mix wet and dry ingredients + chocolate chips
Press in pan and bake
- Now line a 9x9 inch deep baking dish with parchment paper and press in the cookie dough. Now top it with the remaining 1/3 cup of semi-sweet chocolate chips and bake at 350°F for ￼￼30-40 minutes on the center rack or until the center is baked through. Every oven is different so the bake time may vary.