This blueberry pie filling recipe is super tasty and so easy to make. All you need is four simple ingredients to make the BEST pie filling.
The blueberry pie filling is so versatile because it can be used in so many desserts. Whether it be in a blueberry pie, blueberry crepes, or cobbler, it’s always nice to have a jar of homemade pie filling on hand.
This recipe was originally posted on Sep 4, 2015, we’ve tweaked it a bit since then.
Blueberry Pie Filling Recipe
Ingredients for blueberry pie filling
- fresh blueberries
- granulated sugar
- lemon juice
How to make blueberry pie filling
- Add fresh blueberries in a saucepan along with sugar, cornstarch, lemon juice, and water.
- Then bring the heat to medium-low and cook the ingredients for about 10-15 minutes. The sauce should begin to thicken by then.
- If you want to can this recipe, pour the pie filling into mason jars while it’s still bubbling hot, and close the lids tightly.
How to can blueberry pie filling
- Sterilize your canning jars, lids, and rings by boiling them in a pot of water.
- Carefully fill the jars with the hot blueberry pie filling. Then place the lids on tightly.
- Process in a water bath canner for 20 minutes.
How long can I keep blueberry pie filling in the fridge?
An opened can of pie filling can store for up to 1 week in the refrigerator if kept wrapped or closed tightly.
Can I freeze pie filling?
Yes! Fill half a gallon sized plastic ziplock bag with the blueberry pie filling and squeeze the air out. Then close it shut tightly. lay it flat and freeze for up to 12 months.
Try these other blueberry recipes that we absolutely LOVE!
Blueberry Ricotta Pancakes– Fluffy with hints of ricotta and full of fresh blueberries
Oatmeal Blueberry Bars– Just like Starbucks, but better
Blueberry Pie Filling
- 3 1/2 cups fresh blueberries
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1 tsp cornstarch
- 2 tbsp water
- 1 tbsp lemon juice
- In a saucepan, add blueberries, sugar, cornstarch, water, and lemon juice. Stir just to combine.
- Cook the blueberries over medium low heat for about 10-15 minutes or until it begins to thicken. Remove it from heat and let it cool down.
Ps: We’ve updated a few photos in this recipe. Here are some of our older photos.