This Edible Sugar Cookie Dough is buttery and sweet with a hint of vanilla. If you love cookie dough, then you’re going to go crazy for this tasty edible version that’s as yummy as the raw kind.
Table Of Contents
Edible Sugar Cookie Dough Recipe Details
Every time I make cookies, I have an overwhelming urge to eat some of that delicious dough. So I created this yummy recipe so I can safely indulge. If you love cookie dough, this sugar cookie version will be right up your alley.
- TASTE: Edible Sugar Cookie Dough is sweet and buttery, with an undertone of vanilla. The sprinkles just up the sweet factor
- TEXTURE: Creamy, smooth, and a with a little crunch from the sprinkles, this edible cookie dough will melt in your mouth.
- TIME: No chilling, no baking. This recipe is so easy to make!
- EASE: This Edible Sugar Cookie Dough recipe only takes 10 minutes before you can dip your spoon in.
What You’ll Need
- All purpose flour (heat treated – see how below)
- Unsalted butter (room temperature)
- Granulated sugar
- Vanilla extract
How to Make Edible Sugar Cookie Dough
- Bake the flour. First, place the flour on a clean baking sheet and cook for 5 minutes at 350 degrees Fahrenheit to kill off bacteria. Then let it cool.
- Cream the butter and sugar. In a medium-sized bowl, combine the room temperature butter with the sugar using an electric hand mixer. Then add the cooled flour.
- Add the rest of the ingredients. Now add the vanilla, milk, salt, and rainbow sprinkles and mix to combine. That’s it!
- Heat treat the flour- If you skip this step, this cookie dough won’t be safe to eat. Bacteria lives in raw flour, so it must be toasted to make it edible. Don’t skip this step!
- Use room temperature butter- If the butter is too cold, it won’t cream properly with the sugar. Allow it to get soft at room temperature, but not melted.
- Let the flour cool before adding it in- Hot flour added to butter will result is a sloppy mess. So make sure the flour is cool before adding it in for the best consistency in your edible sugar cookie dough.
Add-ins and Substitutions
- Add spices- Up the flavor with some aromatic and tasty spices, such as cinnamon, nutmeg, or chai spices.
- Use different extracts- Instead of vanilla, try lemon, cake batter, or almond extract to completely shake up the flavors in this edible cookie dough.
- Substitute brown butter- Browning the butter before adding it gives it a nutty taste that is really yummy.
- Add cream cheese- Some people add this to make the cookie dough more “dippable” with their favorite snacks.
- Substitute other mix-ins for the sprinkles- White chocolate chips, caramel pieces, almond slivers, or toffee bits could all be tasty additions to this dough.
Edible cookie dough is made the same as regular cookie dough. The only difference is that the flour is heat-treated to get rid of dangerous bacteria, and no egg is used. That’s what makes it safe to eat without baking first.
Toast your flour at 350 degrees Fahrenheit for just 5 minutes to kill off any bacteria. Now it’s safe to eat in edible cookie dough.
No, you can dive right into it as soon as it’s done. No chilling or baking is necessary!
This edible Sugar Cookie Dough is so good, you can eat it with anything. Here are a few yummy ideas:
- Ice cream: Vanilla, chocolate, or even ube ice cream would be decadent on the side.
- Toppings: Oreos, crushed peppermint candies, and M&Ms can be mixed right in.
- Sauces: Drizzle some caramel, chocolate, raspberry, or vanilla rum sauce on top.
- Snacks: Dip your favorite snacks into your edible cookie dough, like crackers, pretzels, and more.
- Fruit: Slices of fresh apples, pears, and strawberries work great.
Make This Edible Sugar Cookie Dough in Advance
Make ahead: To make this even faster, bake the flour ahead of time so it can cool. Then when you are ready to enjoy your edible cookie dough, just combine the ingredients.
Storing: This Edible Sugar Cookie Dough can be stored in an airtight container in the fridge for up to one week, It can sit out at room temperature for up to 8 hours.
Freeze: Store the cookie dough in a freezer ziplock bag in the freezer for up to one month. You may want to roll it into balls for easy grab and go.
More Tasty Cookie Recipes!
- Chewy Oatmeal Raisin Cookies
- Lofthouse Frosted Sugar Cookies
- Quick Edible Cookie Dough
- Jumbo Chocolate Chip Walnut Cookies
- Monster Cookies
Full Recipe Instructions
Edible Sugar Cookie Dough
- The first thing you want to do is bake your flour. Yep, place 1/2 cup of all-purpose flour onto a clean baking sheet and cook the flour for 5 minutes at 350 degrees Fahrenheit to kill off bacteria. Then let it cool.
- Now, in a medium-sized bowl, beat together 1/4 cup unsalted room temperature butter and 1/4 cup granulated sugar using an electric hand mixer.
- Now add in 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract, 1 tablespoon milk, 1/8 teaspoon salt, and rainbow sprinkles if you love them. Then Enjoy!
- How to heat-treat flour?
- Do I have to refrigerate it?
- How long will it keep?