This Vanilla Rum Sauce for Bread Pudding is so rich and delicious. A mixture of butter, cream, rum, and vanilla, it is the perfect sauce to make your dessert absolutely amazing.
This vanilla rum sauce tastes so good on our Bread Pudding – you have to try it!
Vanilla Rum sauce
Bread pudding is already a yummy dessert, but when you add this Vanilla Rum Sauce, it just gets better. With butter and heavy cream giving it a rich base, and sugar for some sweetness, this sauce is finished off with vanilla and rum to make it so so flavorful and a perfect complement to your bread pudding. This sauce takes a little time when it comes to whisking as it thickens, but you’ll be rewarded with its smooth thickness at the end.
Ingredients for this recipe
For this Vanilla Rum sauce recipe, you’ll need butter and heavy cream to get the rich creaminess for the sauce. Sugar adds sweetness and cornstarch is used to help thicken it. Vanilla extract and rum give the sauce its delicious flavor.
How to make vanilla sauce
- Combine sugar and cornstarch. Using a fork, mix the cornstarch and sugar together in a small bowl and then set aside.
- Melt butter. In a small saucepan, melt the butter and then add the heavy cream.
- Add dry ingredients. Now add the sugar/cornstarch mix to the saucepan. Whisk.
- Boil and thicken. While continuously whisking, allow the sauce to come to a quick boil. Then drop the heat to medium-low and continue to whisk as it thickens (10-15 minutes).
- Add vanilla and rum. Remove the sauce from the heat and then whisk in the vanilla and rum. Serve over bread pudding.
How long does it take for vanilla sauce to thicken?
Vanilla sauce takes about 10-15 minutes to thicken. Cornstarch helps this process along, but it still takes a little while and you don’t want to rush it because then you land up with an unpleasant texture. So, whisk continuously until your vanilla rum sauce has the right thick and smooth consistency.
Can I make it ahead of time?
Yes, you can make this sauce the night before. Just prepare it according to the recipe and then pour it into an airtight container, such as a mason jar when it is cool. Close the jar and keep it in the refrigerator until you are ready to warm it up for your bread pudding.
How to store vanilla sauce
Because of the butter and cream, you will want to store this vanilla rum sauce in the refrigerator in an airtight container.
How long will it keep?
This Vanilla Run Sauce for bread pudding will keep for about a week in the refrigerator in an airtight container. You may need to warm and whisk it a little before serving it.
Vanilla Rum Sauce from Bread Pudding
- 3 tsp cornstarch
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 2 cups heavy cream
- 3 tbsp unsalted butter
- 1 tsp vanilla
- 1 tbsp rum
- Melt 3 tablespoons of butter in a small saucepan, then add 2 cups of heavy cream, along with the sugar and cornstarch mixture.
- Let it come to a quick boil (while stirring constantly). Then drop the heat to medium-low and keep stirring until the sauce thickens. This can take anywhere from 10-15 minutes.
- Remove the saucepan from heat and whisk in 1 tsp vanilla extract and 1 tbsp rum. Then serve it over bread pudding.